Canal for Carlisle?

equater
20th August 2009, 19:29
Some few years ago a group of visionaries thought it feasable to run a canal from the Solway to the Tyne, Does anyone have any detailed knowledge of the scheme and what happenned to it.
We had a canal in the late eighteen hundreds from the Solway to the city, perhaps we could try again.
Equater

K urgess
20th August 2009, 19:40
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
Somebody in the crew is bound to know something.
Meanwhile find your way around and enjoy the voyage.

non descript
20th August 2009, 21:45
Equator, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and thank you for your first posting and interesting posting. Do enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage. (Thumb)

benjidog
20th August 2009, 21:59
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

benjidog
20th August 2009, 22:09
Regarding the Solway to Tyne Canal, I am not sure where you got your information from but there was certainly a number of reports written during 1795 and 1796 by William Chapman MRIA (1749-1832).

Chapman's plans were reviewed by Jessop, Sutcliffe and Dodds (who I wouldn't have trusted to review the plans of my back garden!) and the plans were deposited in parliament in 1796.

The main protagonists and other engineers gave differing opinions as to whether the canal should be on the North or South side of the Tyne and the bill was withdrawn. Chapman later produced another report for a canal to Carlisle to Solway only in 1818.

So basically a Solway to Tyne canal didn't get built in the age of "canal mania", despite the involvement of some of the greatest canal builders of the time so it seems most unlikely that it could be economically viable to build it at a later age.

billyboy
20th August 2009, 23:29
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
21st August 2009, 11:07
Greetings Equater and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

gdynia
21st August 2009, 21:44
welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage