hello from leafy Warwickshire

rebbonk
21st August 2009, 03:48
Just like to say "hello all."

I'm doing some research about the small port of Wells-next-the-sea in Norfolk and I stumbled across this little goldmine.

I've already found a few posts and pictures on here, but I'm really interested in the small fishing fleet of the 60's. Any information or pictures would be greatly received.

R58484956
21st August 2009, 11:05
Greetings Rebbonk and welcome to SN on your first posting. Bon voyage.

David Howell
21st August 2009, 12:27
Hi I was there a few weeks back and there are still small fishing boats using the port but the fishing was bad the boat that came along side landed one box of mixed fish mainly dabs he had been out all day for as he said a tenners worth. I live near to Wells there is one of the "Bounty" mutineers buried in the church yard . We used to drink in the old pub by the harbour but it's closed now and we have to drive home too will be in touch David

billyboy
21st August 2009, 13:17
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer.
(used to live in Warwickshire, Leamington/Warwick)

gdynia
21st August 2009, 21:43
welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

benjidog
21st August 2009, 23:01
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

Good luck with your research - I often visit Wells - still a lovely place to look at even if the fishing is about done with.

rebbonk
22nd August 2009, 16:32
Many thanks for the warm welcome. I'll post some more details of what I'm after in the appropriate sections. :)

paj
24th August 2009, 19:00
hi brian, i dont think the fishing is quite finished in wells,there is at least half a dozen fishing boats working, albeit they are catching crabs and lobster, and going quite a long way off for them. i was up in bridlington last october on holiday and went to see the boats land there catch and was quite shocked that they were landing crab and not fish.
paj.