Richard Lines

linesrg
18th September 2018, 10:25
Good Morning,

Kind of found this forum by accident.

I started at sea with BP Tankers with an induction course at South Shields a way back in Oct 1974 before going the British Commerce at Umm Said in November.

Did a normal cadetship and my first trip as 3rd Mate was on the Purpose on a trip from Finhart to Brunei going in March 1978.

Continued on a variety of product/ VLCC until I got my big break into the North Sea and joined the ESV Iolair in December 1983.

At that time you only did a handover trip, 12 months and then a handover trip before, potentially, heading back to the fleet. This was do with only being allowed the 6 months sea time towards gaining superior certification.

I joined the British Resolution doing storage for the Saudis' off Brunei in April 1985 until September. Ended up doing 130 days as I needed the sea time to head back to college for my Masters

Flew home and straight to Shields a week late. I was at college when BP made us all redundant. I never heard anything from any of the three agencies..........

Did a job for Uglands as DP C/O on the Highland Reel April - Sep 1985.

Wasn't sure what I wanted to do after that and was seriously looking at coming ashore then I had a call offering me a job back on the Iolair so I re-joined it in Hamburg dry dock in January 1986.

Transferred to the Seillean in August 1988 where I stayed until December 1997. When it went into Invergordon 'lay-up' pending er next job I did a couple of trips on the DSV Orelia.

I was then offered a job with BP Shipping on their new shuttle tanker Loch Rannoch, so was on that project from April 1998 through to August 2003. I certainly had no intentions of going deep sea with them on completion which was all they had to offer.

Ended up as a humble Barge Operator on an FPSO in the North Sea from September 2003 - September 2008 ending up as Marine Supervisor before transferring to the Balmoral, a floating production facility.

Left there in August 2011 and applied for a job with Chevron as a shuttle tanker Master on the mv Aberdeen. Failed the pre-employment medical when I discovered I had prostrate cancer but once this issue had been resolved I started working for them in April 2012.

The Aberdeen job lasted three years before I ended up on one of their lightening vessels off the Californian coast.

I was becoming very irritated at this time as I had moved from doing a 2 weeks on/ 3 weeks off on the Balmoral to 6 weeks on/ 6 weeks off on the Aberdeen to 3 months on/ 3 months off on the lightening vessel. Don't get me wrong it was a good remuneration package but......

Then the Aberdeen went into lay-up and Chevron sold their new shuttle tanker so I was left as a shuttle tanker Master in a company with no shuttle tankers, doing 3 month trips in a company which had its own way of doing things which, to be honest, I struggled with.

Having done the 5 years my pension/ savings were free of any 'restrictions' so it was time to move on.

As of September 2017 I am employed as a freelance marine consultant. Earnings are down but we're keeping the wolves from the door and, so far, I've resisted the temptation to take the MNOPF pension........

Apologies for the length of the posting.

Regards to all who know me (for better or worse)

Richard

ART6
19th September 2018, 19:39
Welcome to SN from the moderating team linesrg! Keep posting and let us share your experiences -- you might find friends here from long ago! (Thumb)

Graham Wallace
20th September 2018, 17:57
Hi Richard,

Welcome to shipsnostalgia, there are a lot of ex BP personnel in the BP Shipping section.

I have sent yo a shipsnostalgia email.

Graham Wallace
ex 1955 BP Marine Engineering Apprentice and unofficial BP archivist

stevekelly10
20th September 2018, 19:08
Hi Richard

I joined Chevron after BP "flagged out" and I was on their original lightering ship, Ralph B Johnson in the Gulf of Mexico running into Pascogougla, one of my better trips with Chevron. The only other good trip I had with Chevron, was on the Chevron Edinburgh, during the Iran/Iraq war when it was their only vessel going up the gulf and lightering to other Chevron vessels off Fujirah. I was on double wages :)

linesrg
21st September 2018, 19:32
Steve,

I'm on a DP2 vessel up here in Nigg mobilising for an AUV (Autonomous Underwater Vehicle) trial with ENI/ Total. The ENI head honcho is an ex Chevron Master and when I mentioned I had been on one of the new lightening vessels he asked about Pasacagoula (I was on the Californian side..........

Regards

Richard

stevekelly10
21st September 2018, 20:41
Steve,

I'm on a DP2 vessel up here in Nigg mobilising for an AUV (Autonomous Underwater Vehicle) trial with ENI/ Total. The ENI head honcho is an ex Chevron Master and when I mentioned I had been on one of the new lightening vessels he asked about Pasacagoula (I was on the Californian side..........

Regards

Richard

I enjoyed my time there as we were alongside every couple of days and due to some "creative accounting" we had a car available to those of us who had shares in it ! I drove it down to Pensecola once and spent the day on the beach :) I also visited the Museum in Mobile and Had a tour around the Battleship SS Alabahma :)

I notice you said you had no contact from BP's manning agencies after you left. Whilst I was in Pasgogoula on ringing home, I was told that Acomarit had been trying to get hold of me, urgently as they needed an engineer for a river boat, as NATO had refused to charter it as it had Warsaw pact officers onboard ! when they were told where I was they offered to pay my airfare home ! Lol.

I eventually ended up Joining NMM as I had sent them my CV, hoping to get back on the Iolair. But I ended up getting a 2/E job on Stena bulks ULCC's

Regards

Steve

Annmckinnon
21st September 2018, 22:34
Hi Richard, welcome to SN my uncle Fred Purves was a Chief engineer with BP , he would have been 98 this year but sadly passed away in 1985 , hope you enjoy the stories from fellow members on this SN site !