New member entry

downham7
19th September 2018, 16:14
Hello, it has taken 6 years from joining to introducing myself.
I am 96, joined SS Moorby in 1938 as deck apprentice, spent subsequent years on different Ropner ships till 1948.
Hope there are others who remember this period. I'm

makko
19th September 2018, 18:30
Finally, welcome! I look forward to reading your posts now that I know a little more about your background.
Regards from an ex Bluey in Mexico City.
Dave

Bill Morrison
19th September 2018, 19:23
Well downham7 better late than never. You can really say I was there when they needed me. Looking forward to your posts.
Bill

Split
20th September 2018, 18:23
Hello, it has taken 6 years from joining to introducing myself.
I am 96, joined SS Moorby in 1938 as deck apprentice, spent subsequent years on different Ropner ships till 1948.
Hope there are others who remember this period. I'm

Yes. indeed, you've taken your time, but we are all very pleased to hear from you.

Fortunately, for me, I was too young to be at sea during this period. I thought that I was one of the oldest! Went to sea as apprentice in 1948 and am 86. Still keep my sextant under the bed!. You used a vernier, I suppose. Mine is one of those new-fangled micrometers.

Hugh MacLean
20th September 2018, 18:25
Welcome, very glad to have you aboard.
Regards
Hugh

George Bis
20th September 2018, 18:57
Yes. indeed, you've taken your time, but we are all very pleased to hear from you.

Fortunately, for me, I was too young to be at sea during this period. I thought that I was one of the oldest! Went to sea as apprentice in 1948 and am 86. Still keep my sextant under the bed!. You used a vernier, I suppose. Mine is one of those new-fangled micrometers.

My sextant was a vernier purchased in 1928 by my grandfather for 5. I didn't think it would be any use but we had a retired Master Mariner living close a hand who checked it out and told me that if I had the mirrors resilvered it would be fine. He was right and I used it for several years.