Help to identify My Barge Please

janeymor
23rd August 2009, 08:52
Hi Everyone, I am a new member and hoping soneone will be able to help me to identify my Barge.

I believe its a Manchester coal barge, but thats only guessing, it was bought from Graveend Kent, and I'm told it was originally converted but a fire destroyed the fittings, so it's now just the shell.

No engine has ever been fitted as far as I can see, she is 75ft long and 14ft wide, Steel construction with a ribbed hull and very attractive 'whale tail shaped' back end.

I have searched history of Manchester ship canal and can find nothing like it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou kindly Jayne
I have tried to add photo without success but have plenty available.

non descript
23rd August 2009, 09:36
Jayne, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and thank you for your first and interesting posting - good luck with attaching a picture; if you find it difficult, upload it into the Gallery and we can make a link. Do enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage. (Thumb)

Ron Stringer
23rd August 2009, 09:43
It may be something of a red herring but in the years after WW2, in Manchester the Bridgewater Canal (as opposed to the Manchester Ship Canal) was still carrying heavy coal traffic by barge. My father had a driving job delivering coke from Stretford Gas Works to various factories in Trafford Park and during school holidays I would accompany him. I was fascinated to see the coal barges lined up on the jetty at the gas works being unloaded.

Some of the powered barges towed un un-engined 'dumb' barge.

Good luck

K urgess
23rd August 2009, 11:45
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
If you can upload some pictures then it would help the crew identify the barge.
Have a good voyage.

billyboy
23rd August 2009, 13:20
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

benjidog
23rd August 2009, 16:28
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

Let us know when you have uploaded a photo and someone may be able to help.

R58484956
24th August 2009, 10:22
Greetings Jayne and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

gdynia
25th August 2009, 20:41
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

Frank77
18th November 2013, 13:30
Hi Janey, I have just come across your message about your barge being an old coal barge from the MSC, how did you go on with its history, did you find anything of interest.