Hello: Looking for info on Hellas

Brucekn
28th September 2018, 04:28
Hello, My name is Bruce Knight, Iím a New Zealander now living in the US. My father (Lou Knight) was one of the survivors of the bombing and sinking of the Greek yacht Hellas on April 23, 1941, and was badly injured and once removed in Athens was made a POW in Germany until liberation in 1945. He passed away in 2007.

I am newly retired and would like to create a website in honor of my Dad. I have many memories of discussions with him regarding his life in WW2 and before. One of those memories is back in the 1920ís, when Dad was gold panning black sand deposits for gold on the beach near his house in New Zealand (Gladstone, Westland). He was captivated by a yacht on the horizon which was carrying Edward VIII (maybe prior to his coronation) on one of his New Zealand visits (to Milford Sound, as I recall). The irony is that the yacht he saw was later renamed the Hellas and became his nemesis. Any information most appreciated. I also saw this post here from 2010

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=35572

and would appreciate any info. Thanks, glad to be here!

Frank P
28th September 2018, 08:19
Welcome onboard Bruce, enjoy the site. There are many members here, some of them might be able to help you.

I have posted a photo of the Hellas, I don't know if she is the Hellas that you are looking for as I only have the photo and no information.

Cheers Frank

Brucekn
28th September 2018, 15:28
Welcome onboard Bruce, enjoy the site. There are many members here, some of them might be able to help you.

I have posted a photo of the Hellas, I don't know if she is the Hellas that you are looking for as I only have the photo and no information.

Cheers Frank

Thanks Frank, much appreciated. Bruce.

Maunsel
23rd March 2019, 19:16
Valiant as Hellas

Maunsel
23rd March 2019, 19:17
Valiant as yacht

Maunsel
23rd March 2019, 19:23
Valiant in dry dock

Maunsel
23rd March 2019, 19:26
Another view of Valiant

Maunsel
23rd March 2019, 19:27
Another view of Valiant as Hellas

wightspirit
24th March 2019, 11:30
Is this him?: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C16596840.

Looks like it is - you'll be able to order a copy from the UK National Archives.

Dave W

Brucekn
24th March 2019, 18:36
Thanks for the info on Hellas aka Valiant, Maunsel; and on my father, wightspirit (I replied to your PM, thanks again).

This is amazing info- does anyone know if Hellas was ever recovered from the bombing at Piraeus? I'm not sure if it actually sunk-= my father's recollection is that it turned onto it's side but was still moored to the pier, however he was very badly injured so may have gotten that wrong. Thanks again, much appreciated.