Aberdeen Trawlers

Trawler Loon
24th August 2009, 00:55
Hi, I am an old Ex-Aberdeen Loon, who's father (Frank Ironside) was a well known & respected Trawler Cook, (Scots Guard, Company Cook trained) from the 1930s to the late 1950s, working for Skippers and Owners like, Aberdeen Skippers & Mates Association, John Lewis Ltd, George Robb, Robert Robb, Alexander Robb, G.Christie, W. Cowie etc. My brothers worked in the ship-yards in Aberdeen, as a Chippie, and Diesel Engineer, for Hall Russell's, and Trawlers & Traders. I trawled with my Father in the 1950s, but left and went into the building trade (Council Houses), in Aberdeen, came to Australia 1960. All the Aberdeen Trawlers, of those days were steam driven sidewinders, but late fifties saw the coming of the new diesel boats, but I am beginning to think, my information on Trawling is vintage, like fishing the Ironworks (Iceland), stories of the (Black Frost) the young alcoholic hard-case, deckies called (Aberdeen Commandos). My family are from a past era, of the Aberdeen Fishing Trawler Fleet.
Trawler Loon.

R58484956
24th August 2009, 10:12
Greetings TL and welcome to SN from the south of England. Bon voyage.

K urgess
24th August 2009, 10:14
Welcome aboard.
Plenty of Scottish fisherman in the crew to get to know.
The Memsahib's grandfather sailed on trawlers out of Aberdeen in the 1920s before moving out for a better life.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the voyage.

billyboy
24th August 2009, 10:36
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

EARLSFERRY
24th August 2009, 19:13
Tl Have You Looked On Trawler Photos,a Site Especially For That Also Trawler Pictures. Earlsferry

Hugh MacLean
24th August 2009, 19:32
Hello Trawler Loon and welcome aboard.
I think we know each other. (Thumb)
Regards