My dad

catbosco
3rd October 2018, 20:56
Hi all I'm trying to find more about my dad he sadly pass away when I was a teenager so I didn't really ask him about his live at sea just wondering if he has any old shipmates still around his name is Stanley Scott from claygate in surrey if there is anyone who is still around I would love to hear from you.

jg grant
3rd October 2018, 22:08
Hi from NZ and welcome.
Do you have any details of his shipping company or companies? What did he do? Anything at all, like a discharge book, might produce some sort of result. Good luck.

catbosco
4th October 2018, 08:03
Hi from NZ and welcome.
Do you have any details of his shipping company or companies? What did he do? Anything at all, like a discharge book, might produce some sort of result. Good luck.

I think I have up load a photo 188235
I will try and add some more later.

Frank P
4th October 2018, 08:54
Welcome onboard, enjoy the site. With his details (the more details the better) you might find somebody among the large membership on the site who knew your father......

Cheers Frank

catbosco
4th October 2018, 11:53
I think dad was a chief engineer. I remember we spent a weekend on one of the ship in the late 60's early70's I'm sure it was docked at telford.

seaman38
4th October 2018, 13:22
I think dad was a chief engineer. I remember we spent a weekend on one of the ship in the late 60's early70's I'm sure it was docked at telford.

Cat, from his Discharge Book we see that he was a Donkey Greaser on his first trip in 1951, so being a donkey greaser we must assume that he was older than 16 when he joined his first ship as I have never sailed with a young donkey greaser. Even assuming he was 16 it would make him 83/84 years old this year, many of us are the same vintage! so many have passed on at an earlier age so it may not be possible to be able to have someone contact you who may have sailed with him in his earlier days.

As you appear to have his Discharge Book, it may be more relevant to send us the page of the last entries as you may then stand a better chance of re-awakening someone's memory who may be younger

Just noticed he was born in 1926, which would make him 25 years old on his first trip

catbosco
4th October 2018, 14:26
I know he was away a lot when we were growing up. he left the navy about 1978, he hurt his leg on broad ship, by the time they got him to port it was infected so they had to remove both legs, I'm not sure but he could have been called snowy, he would have been near 50 when he left so someone starting out might remember him, he did do trips for elders & fyffes couple of the ships are samala and Manistee.

catbosco
4th October 2018, 21:03
can you tell me what a grease donkey does.

Johnny Walker
5th October 2018, 09:35
The first five entries of ship,engagement, discharge and rating shown on page 7 of that discharge book appear to be the same hand writing, is that a replacement book as there are no official 'ships stamps'

catbosco
5th October 2018, 14:08
The first five entries of ship,engagement, discharge and rating shown on page 7 of that discharge book appear to be the same hand writing, is that a replacement book as there are no official 'ships stamps'

this could be the other side I don't think the books are replacements, I'm trying to find his discharge book for the 1970.

Laurie Ridyard
6th October 2018, 01:31
can you tell me what a grease donkey does.

A donkey greaser is an engine room hand. There were usually about 6 on a 10,000 ton ship. They looked after the engine room, cleaning and oiling and boiler watch etc. at sea. In port they looked after the cargo winches, generators , boilers etc.

ATB

Laurie

catbosco
8th October 2018, 13:13
A donkey greaser is an engine room hand. There were usually about 6 on a 10,000 ton ship. They looked after the engine room, cleaning and oiling and boiler watch etc. at sea. In port they looked after the cargo winches, generators , boilers etc.

ATB

Laurie

thank you Laurie
would this job by new sailor or would you work up to become donkey greaser.
also why it called a donkey greaser. .

Laurie Ridyard
8th October 2018, 15:11
thank you Laurie
would this job by new sailor or would you work up to become donkey greaser.
also why it called a donkey greaser. .

As far as I am aware, a donkey greaser starts off as a junior engine room rating. For further information see Maritime and Coastguard Agency- Careers at sea- Ratings.

A Donkey Greaser is also sometimes referred to as a Donkeyman. The terms comes from the days when auxiliary engines were called donkey engines.

ATB

Laurie

Varley
8th October 2018, 18:35
I don't know about donkey greaser but I did think Donkeyman was a senior rating along with Storekeeper.

Engine Serang
8th October 2018, 21:43
Donkey Greaser, Donkeyman, Fireman, Greaser, Oiler, Tail Wallah, Ag Wallah, Panni Wallah, I was confused 48 years ago and am still not sure.

On small yachts ( 40 ft or less) the engine is called the Donkey and if you run out of wind you "Donk" back to the marina. And have a couple of G&T's.

Dartskipper
8th October 2018, 22:17
On small yachts ( 40 ft or less) the engine is called the Donkey and if you run out of wind you "Donk" back to the marina. And have a couple of G&T's.

Some call it the mechanical jib, or spinnaker, etc.

seaman38
9th October 2018, 00:12
Hopefully this may throw a bit more light on the subject, a Donkeyman looks after the Donkey Engine (an official term) with feeds water to a Donkey boiler, which is a boiler fitted specially for supplying steam for winches, dynamos, etc whilst vessel is in port. It replaces one of the main boilers whilst in port so that the main boiler can be shut down for maintenance purposes, or just to conserve fuel.

A Donkey greaser will normally start off as a peggy (dogs body) working as a messroom boy and normally then decide whether he wants to go on deck or down the engineroom, if he cannot distinquish colours, red green and white he is virtually no use on deck, as these are essential for reporting lights at night when on lookout. If he goes the engineroom route he becomes, a wiper or cleaner, tasked with keeping the engineroom floor plates and store rooms clean, not been allowed near any moving parts, after some time (weeks/months) he comes a wiper/oiler (on motor ships) or a donkey/greaser on steam ships, his duties are supporting the engineer on watch on what ever the engineer needs, but mainly ensuring that all visible moving parts are lubricated on a routine set out by the engineer.

Not all Donkey greasers want to become promoted to Donkeymen as their time off in port is limited, because of the nature of their duties, and a vessel in the 40's and 50's would carry about 10/12 ratings down the engineroom and only one donkeyman, so promotion prospects were low/slow