An Aussie fae finechty!

creeker
26th August 2009, 07:37
Hello all,
Been out here for over fifty five years but I'm Finecthy through and through! Trawled out of Granton in my early years, three in the Navy 46--49, Trawling again until the sunshine called so off to Australia in 51. Korea 52--53
sailed out of Sydney for a while, then Melbourne on the King Island ketches.
Came home to Finechty 89--92 but like the sunshine too much. It's easier on old bones and mine are old! My Granddad had the Bloemfontein BF registration, way back before WW2. anybody mind her?
Stuart

billyboy
26th August 2009, 07:43
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

non descript
26th August 2009, 07:47
Stuart, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and thank you for your first posting. Do enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage. (Thumb)

R58484956
26th August 2009, 10:19
Greetings Stuart and welcome to SN from the south of England. Bon voyage.

K urgess
26th August 2009, 11:31
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Stuart.
You may want to join the fishing vessel gallery.
Just follow the instructions here -
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=10667
You may see some boats and faces you recognise.
Have a good trip.

benjidog
26th August 2009, 22:20
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

jg grant
27th August 2009, 00:05
Tenakwe Stuart! Where's Finechty mate? Regards Ronnie. Ex Musselburgh.

spongebob
27th August 2009, 01:14
Ronnie, that is just the question that I was about to ask.
Sounds an enchanting place!

Bob

K urgess
27th August 2009, 13:23
If I remember right that's the way to pronounce Findochty on the coast to the east of Buckie in Scotland.
The only reason I know is because a third mate I sailed came from there.
Search the gallery and you'll find 50 pics.
Kris

Gerard Carmichael
29th August 2009, 16:57
Hello all,
Been out here for over fifty five years but I'm Finecthy through and through! Trawled out of Granton in my early years, three in the Navy 46--49, Trawling again until the sunshine called so off to Australia in 51. Korea 52--53
Came home to Finechty 89--92 but like the sunshine too much. It's easier on old bones and mine are old! My Granddad had the Bloemfontein BF registration, way back before WW2. anybody mind her?
Stuart
Hi creeker,your Finecthy brought back memories,my mother came frae Buckie,when we returned from Singapore 1972,moved to Portkockie stayed 4 years,until moving to Finstown in Orkney's with Occidental Oil,like you the weather changes your life style. Fortunately with some of the Oil Companies you can change locations,so took warmer climate in Libya,stayed 12 years,mooring master. What part of Aussie are you in? Orrabest,Orratime GerryC

Ian H White
29th August 2009, 17:42
Welcome fae a Lossie Loon
Ian

gdynia
30th August 2009, 01:07
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

cowie
30th August 2009, 21:17
Hello all,
Stuart

G'Day Stuart,

Did ye still hae yer Finechty accent when ye came back hame in 89/92.
I adopted one after having a crew of finechty men aboard we me for a lang time. Got real good knowledge of a the goings on and locations there. Best sight when coming hame fae sea was coming doon Doddie Pidleys road. Many a comment was made "Isn't that the bonniest sicht in a the world".
Fine breed o men and gran workers as well.

Regards and good wishes

Cowie

bert thompson
31st August 2009, 07:33
Welcome to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.