HMS Reindeer 1868

dorothy elliott
26th August 2009, 20:56
Hi this is a bit of a long shot but I'm trying to find info on my Gt. Grandad.
I have two medals of "Temperance" and one for long service with the date of July 1868. Can anyone tell me anything about these medals or the ship or where I can go to get any info. My Grandads name was John Cunning Weir. You are probably all a bit young to remember :)

ian d.cameron
26th August 2009, 21:37
Hi Dorothy, there is a service record for a John Cunning Weir
Edward VII reined from 22 January 1901 until his death on 6 May 1910 so could be your man if you know his date of birth.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=6884941&queryType=1&resultcount=115

K urgess
26th August 2009, 21:56
Welcome aboard, Dorothy.
I see you've had some help already which is typical of our crew.
Find your way around the ship and enjoy the cruise.

Peter4447
26th August 2009, 22:47
Hi Dorothy
HMS Reindeer was what was known as a Cameleon Class Wooden screw sloop, in other words it had both sails and an engine. She was built in 1865/66 and broken up in 1876.
In the Victorian era alcohol and drunkeness was a very serious problem in the Armed Forces and Temperence medals were given to those who "signed the pledge" ie: the person made an undertaking to abstain from the use of alcohol. The medals were issued by various organisations and as an example, the formidible Dame Agnes Weston was a champion of this cause and she actually founded the 'Royal Sailors' Rests' in the late 1800's having seen the plight of so many young sailors. She opened temperence hostels and these provided a Chrisitian based home from home that these young men could go to, away from the temptations of alcohol and other problems associated with the Naval Bases of that era. The Charity itself is still in existance and has always been a strictly temperence organisation. The Missioners (as those in charge of the Homes were called) were also forbidden to touch alcohol and I had the privilege of running the Mission at Portland, Dorset for some years prior to the closing of the Naval base there.
Kind regards
Peter

benjidog
26th August 2009, 22:52
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

billyboy
26th August 2009, 23:13
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
27th August 2009, 10:31
Greetings Dorothy and welcome to SN on your first posting. Bon voyage.

dorothy elliott
27th August 2009, 10:49
Thank you Ian, it is indeed my Gt. Grandad and also Peter for the info of his ship. I look forward to finding out about him. You have been a great help.
Thank you to everyone else for your kind welcome.