Researching a Lost Dad

Prudence
30th August 2009, 04:05
Hi Everybody. I found the site on an open google search re my Dad's last ship and voyage on the M.V. Tulagi. My Dad was the P.O. Gunner on this ship and I was just three months old when he set off. I am gradually having the records on this ship held in the Australian Archives digitised so that other people besides myself who are researching can find material.
New material is turning up constantly now on the net and much is unreliable regarding the last voyage.
I am currently attempting to write a book on the long silence and then the search and what this has done to my family over 65 years.
I am collecting books about Merchant navy and navy experience published during the Second World War and up till 1970's, to try to understand the context of the times. I also have , through this search developed an interest in the history of navigation. Prudence.

tsell
30th August 2009, 04:23
A warm welcome from the Gold Coast Prudence.
You have joined a great site and I am sure that you will receive much assistance with your search from many of our members.

Good luck,

Taffy R556959

trotterdotpom
30th August 2009, 06:48
Prudence, someone else was researching this vessel recently - maybe if you put "Tulagi" in the search engine of the site, something will turn up. She was in Darwin during the Japanese air raids.

John T.

R58484956
30th August 2009, 10:51
Greetings Prudence and a warm welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

billyboy
30th August 2009, 10:56
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Steve Woodward
30th August 2009, 11:04
Prudence,
Welcome to SN from East Yorkshire, enjoy your time with us and the very best of luck in finding the information you seek about your father
Steve

benjidog
30th August 2009, 17:33
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

Regarding your research, if you have any specific questions please ask away - the members are always willing to help if they can.

Prudence
1st September 2009, 06:48
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. My daughter just arrived and looked at a photo of Dad and he has his chest tattooed...I had never noticed and mum never said. funny how things turn up. I am interested in a couple of other ships he was on possibly the prize vessel "FERN" captured by the HMAS WESTRALIA and taken to Singapore. Mum always said he was at Singapore but there is no record of this in his Navy file. Dad was on the Westralia first up when she was commissioned as an HMAS and fitted as a catapult ship. I have not got round to getting that file digitised yet. Does anyone out there remember that voyage? Prudence