To all retired sea dogs

cowie
30th August 2009, 10:03
Hello I'm Cowie,

Took retirement but finding it hard to be a land lubber. Anyone else out there in the same situation.

duquesa
30th August 2009, 10:28
Absolutely. I was retired 12 years and rapidly turning into a very grumpy old fool with tunnel vision and a fast stagnating brain. This year, I took the big step of returning part time to small local ferry work. I have never felt better mentally or physically and look forward to each & every shift. My family say it is the best thing I ever did and I now know I should have done it years ago.
:cool:

R58484956
30th August 2009, 10:48
Greetings Cowie and welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and bon voyage.

billyboy
30th August 2009, 10:52
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Steve Woodward
30th August 2009, 11:07
Cowie,
A belated welcome to SN from East Yorkshire, enjoy your time with us
Steve

kevjacko
30th August 2009, 11:16
Hello I'm Cowie,

Took retirement but finding it hard to be a land lubber. Anyone else out there in the same situation.

Hi Cowie,

'You'll take the man away from the sea, but never the sea away from the man'. Never a truer saying in my opinion. I left the sea what seems eons ago and although not retired, still working ashore, I regard it as my biggest mistake in life. You'll find this site littered with folk who think the same as me, and a few that don't for that matter. I guess it's up to the elder members of the site, those that are retired to let you know how they manage time, etc. One thing I do know though, I stopped fighting the yearn for the sea ages ago and just accept it as part of my being.

As for actually being a land lubber, well I think what you'll find is that you'll never fully be one coz us men (and women) of the sea are different.

Billieboy
30th August 2009, 11:42
Welcome aboard Cowie, from the flat bit of Europe.

I was, "invalided out", in '94, so I haven't been on any type of ship since then. It was a wrench, but since I hit 65, things have been a lot easier. There is absolutely NO chance of me doing anything on ships ever again. I've accepted it now. This site is a very good palliative and since I found it I cannot seem to get off it. Every day I see something worth commenting on, so have a great trip on this very good and very interesting site.

benjidog
30th August 2009, 17:39
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

cowie
30th August 2009, 20:23
Thanks to all of you for giving me a warm welcome to the site. Its good to know that others miss the sea as well. Its a true saying you never miss the water till the wally runs dry. Did your wives give you a hard time as well?

Interested in the fishing boats where can I view them.

Regards to all
Cowie

John Hebblewhite
30th August 2009, 22:12
Hi there Cowie. I too get fed up being retired but when I think of enduring the constant Port State inspections, constant inspections for oil companys(each one having its own inspection with their own inspector with a axe to grind combined with endless and in most cases pointless ISM paperwork which took hours every day I tell myself I'm better off ashore retired. We ran ships safely and efficiently in the 60's,70's,80's and first part of the 90's without this endless torrent of inspections and paperwork.

bert thompson
31st August 2009, 07:31
Cowie welcome to this great site. Retirement is not all it is cracked up to be
Best wishes
Bert.