Malcolm Wright
22nd September 2005, 13:15
Mozzie2 profile

During a sea-going career spanning the years 1948 to 1995 I served in most types of ship from (genuine) passenger liners to coasters anf fishing boats, not forgetting an 18-month stint driving a paddle-wheeler on the River Murray.

I have an abiding interest in all matters nautical and look forward to feeding this addiction through your fascinating website.

Regards

Malcolm

Jan Hendrik
22nd September 2005, 14:09
Welcome Malcolm. Enjoy the site.
Which paddle wheeler?? Don't forget the photos.

R58484956
22nd September 2005, 15:07
Welcome to the site Malcolm, you are now amongst the sea loving fraternity, most of us left years ago, but our minds are still seagoing.

thunderd
22nd September 2005, 23:42
Welcome Malcolm I hope you enjoy the site and I bet you have some great tales to share with us.

Gulpers
23rd September 2005, 00:17
Malcolm,

Welcome to SN. You have obviously had an interesting career, so please share it with us once you have setttled in.

Doug Rogers
23rd September 2005, 02:48
Welcome aboard Malcolm, enjoy the site and the members.

Malcolm Wright
23rd September 2005, 05:38
Greetings, Jan Hendrik, and all others who have welcomed me to SN.
Most of my paddle-wheeler time on the Murray was in "Pride of the Murray" based at Echuca and owned at that time by Hans Albers who was also proprietor of the fascinating Coachhouse Museum.
Mostly we just did 1-hour cruises from Echuca, but occasionally we'd be chartered for a dawn cruise (sometimes with breakfast provided) and travel much further afield. It was pure magic to be on the river at that time of day with a light mist lying on the water as the sun rose, the river red-gums silhouetted starkly against the grey misty background and the wild-life out in abundance. Our resident swallows enjoyed it too. These lovely little birds enjoyed an early meal of the insects that our movement through the water disturbed. The swallows lived with us throughout the year, nesting in the paddle boxes, and travelled with us wherever we went. I think they enjoyed it most when we had a long evening charter.
This also was`a magical experience with our powerful headlights picking out the trees and the river banks in a way you never saw in daylight hours. For our avian friends, these same headlights attracted vast swarms of insects for them to feed on almost to the point of gluttony.
At first, for a deep-sea sailor this was`all something of a culture shock, but after a very few weeks of getting used the the river and learning the vaguaries of handling a paddler, which is very different from handling a screw-driven vessel, I settled into the lifestyle very happily, but after eighteen months of it, I was longing to see vast expanses of blue water and feel a powerful ocean swell under me again, so the interlude came to a close.
It was a wonderful experience, and I would not have missed it for the world, but for someone brought up on the wide sea, it was too restrictive and circumscribed, almost claustrophobic to last longer than it did.
Regards,
Malcolm.

Malcolm Wright
23rd September 2005, 05:45
To the Powers that Be,
Please, if I must have an antipodean flag alongside my name, can it be the Australian National flag.
I am not an aborigine. Although I currently live in Australia, I am a Geordie from day one of my life.
Many thanks,
Malcolm.

billyboy
23rd September 2005, 08:27
Welcome aboard the "happy ship" malcom

Jan Hendrik
23rd September 2005, 09:05
Beautiful spot Echuca and Pride of the Murray is the one to go about.

Gulpers
23rd September 2005, 09:15
Malcolm,

Your paddle wheeler posting is almost magical. Looking forward to more in the future.

As for your wee flag! You can change it yourself. Go to Quick Links on the grey header bar - click on edit profile - second box down titled select your country - choose whichever country is appropriate from the drop down list - save the changes and you've done it.
Have fun.

Doug Rogers
23rd September 2005, 09:43
Thanks Gulpers, I PM'd him a while ago and said he could edit it and should be able to change it...probably just mis-selected the wrong Nationality..ie Australian-Aboriginal as opposed to Australian.
Cheers..

Gulpers
23rd September 2005, 10:25
Doug,

Good man! I considered a PM but thought I'd go public since I've noticed a few posts where new members have been concerned about changing their nationality.
I hope we have helped Malcolm and any others with a similar problem. Catch you later!

Doug Rogers
23rd September 2005, 11:44
Well it would seem he has a problem as he says it wouldnt change. I have asked him what happens if he selects English but havent heard. We may have to invoke some technical assistance if he still cant.
Cheers..

Gulpers
23rd September 2005, 13:25
Doug,

Yes, had a PM from Malcolm and offered another suggestion. If that fails, there must be a glitch so, I've pointed him towards SN Admin.

Malcolm Wright
23rd September 2005, 13:34
Gulpers'
Many thanks for all your help. This system takes a bit of getting used to, but I find I'm now English.
Best regards,
Malcolm.

Gulpers
23rd September 2005, 21:40
Malcolm,

Glad to have been of assistance. Look forward to hearing from you again.

Peggy747
24th September 2005, 12:06
Welcome aboard Malcolm, this is indeed a great site, lots of very interesting and knowledgable old salts on this ship, Peter.