Uss Lst-818

Customs_MP
31st August 2009, 19:25
I'm searching for any crew members who may still be alive. My father, Gilbert L. Austing, known as Bud to crew and family members, served on the 818 from mid 1945 to late 1946 or so when it was decommissioned.

Also interested in knowing what became of her after decommissioned. I believe she was sold overseas (South America?) but am not sure.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Dad was involved in very early efforts to obtain a floating LST to bring back to CONUS for a museum but passed away before herculean efforts managed to bring the LST-325 back from Greece. I'm sure he would have been one of the crewmembers aboard!

Mike Austing
Dennison, OH
Former US Army MP SSG

K urgess
31st August 2009, 19:32
Welcome aboard from northern England, Mike.
I'm sure the crew will be able to help with your search or point you in the right direction.
Meanwhile find your way around our ship and enjoy the voyage.

Customs_MP
31st August 2009, 19:58
Thanks for the welcome, Marconi! Glad to be here!

Years ago, when I was just a youngster, Dad made a balsa wood model of his old ship. Complete with removable decks, hatch covers, opening bow doors and tank ramp. It also had a twin screw battery powered motor. We'd take it out to a local pond in Dayton, Ohio to float it. When the batteries ran down (generally right in the MIDDLE of the pond), I was the one that had to swim out to retrieve it. It's one of the few things I have left of Dad's!

non descript
31st August 2009, 19:58
Mike, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and a first posting - Good luck with the search and hopefully you can get some quality feedback. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. (Thumb)

Steve Woodward
31st August 2009, 20:12
Mike,
Welcome to SN from East Yorkshire, I have read up on the exploits of the voyage crew of LST-325 - an interesting read.
best of luck in finding your fathers old shipmates, enjoy your time with us
Steve

surfaceblow
31st August 2009, 20:16
Welcome to the site I hope you luck with your research on LST-818

http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/l25/lst-818.htm

The DANTS of the Naval Historical Center Web Site has the following write on its site.

"LST-818 was laid down on 8 September 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 18 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Roscoe B. Huffman; and commissioned on 9 November 1944, Lt. (jg.) Robert B. Bradley in command.

During World War II, LST-818 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from March through June 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 16 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 17 September 1947, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.

LST-818 earned one battle star for World War II service."

http://www.hullnumber.com/LST-818

Has five crew members listed.

Joe

bert thompson
31st August 2009, 20:21
Mike Welcome to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.