Hello from an old "Monty's girl"..

Jillamanda
3rd September 2009, 16:14
Hello, just found this site and after a bit of reading, have recognised a few names and quite a few ships. I put my sea time in at Monty's in the late 60s to the mid 70s and everyone called me 'Hendrix'. I'm still in touch with a few of the girls - in fact they're having their annual reunion this month (weekend of the 19th, if anyone's handy). I'm not going this year but plan to make the pilgrimage next year.

I'll send this link to a few of the others, I'm sure they'll find it just as nostalgic as I have.

bert thompson
3rd September 2009, 16:17
Welcome to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

Cutsplice
3rd September 2009, 16:39
Welcome to the crew here, I am looking forward to some posts as they roll in they will certainly be interesting, so post many stories it will be good.

benjidog
3rd September 2009, 22:19
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

billyboy
3rd September 2009, 22:55
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

Jillamanda
4th September 2009, 00:46
Thanks everyone - really looking forward to it!!

Oz.
4th September 2009, 03:12
Jilla, welcome to this great site. Wow, a gal from Monty's, you must have some tales to tell! Do you miss it as much as many here do. I dropped in their recently , yuk!! Is the re union just for the gals or are old (and I mean old!) ex customers welcome?? And if so, where?

Jillamanda
4th September 2009, 03:48
G-day Oz, Of course I miss the old days, and I'll never regret being a part of it all. I remember the day the Encounter Bay sailed into Sydney Harbour - the first container ship to grace our shores, I believe, and we all knew it was the death knell of life as we knew it, but you move on. The worst part is that most people don't believe you when you tell 'em about the adventures we had, the places we went (Wave) the alcohol we consumed (Pint) the things we smoked (Smoke) etc etc etc, and that's why sites like this are so good. (Applause)

The reunion is at Monty's, and of course you're welcome. It is mainly for the girls, but anyone who was there (and survived to tell the tale) is welcome....

Oz.
4th September 2009, 05:06
Jilla, someone, maybe you, MUST write a book about the place. I honestly feel that it would be a best seller! And make a great film. Pity you not going to be there on the 19th weekend. Do you have any photo's of the old days? They would open up some memory boxes here when posted.

AncientBrit
4th September 2009, 05:57
Way to go Oz, I can see guys all over the world coming out in cold sweat right now. :sweat:

John Briggs
4th September 2009, 06:55
Great comment Bob! I am still laughing ten minutes after reading it!

Jillamanda
4th September 2009, 07:09
Unfortunately I haven't got any photos, but a few of the others have. I've sent them all the link to this site, so I'm sure they'll post them when they sign up. We've got a small group on facebook, but I think it's against the rules to post links here. It's a pity there's not many pics around, cameras were just too much responsibility in those days. If you didn't lose the camera, you lost the photos......or you were in another port and never picked them up....
By the way, I thought I'd better check to see if my memory still served me well about the Encounter Bay, and it was forty years ago this year. I found this article:

NSW celebrates 40 year container trade anniversary
April 3, 2009
Ports and Waterways Minister Joe Tripodi says today marks the 40th
anniversary of the arrival of the first dedicated container ship in Sydney – an
event that heralded a new era in shipping which revolutionised world trade.
“International container trade in Australia as we know it today began with the
arrival of the UK-based ‘Encounter Bay’ at Balmain Wharf on April 3, 1969,”
Mr Tripodi said.
“This was the beginning of the world’s first long-haul containerised freight
service -- the Europe to Australia run – and it ushered in a new era that’s
been fundamental to the development of the Australian economy.”
During the second half of 1965, four British shipowners, P&OSN Co, Ocean
Transport and Trading, Furness Withy and British and Commonwealth,
agreed to form a consortium to be known as Overseas Containers Ltd (OCL).
“The consortium undertook a detailed feasibility study on the introduction of a
container service between Europe and Australia with purpose-built cellular
container ships, and the rest is history,” Mr Tripodi said.
“Containerisation transformed seaborne trade by sharply reducing ship
turnaround times in port, introducing larger and faster vessels and ultimately
cutting costs.
“Container trade also improved the security of cargo on the docks and in
transit but it was their greater capacity that changed world trade forever.
“One container ship replaced about 8 conventional ships when taking into
account increased capacity and quicker round voyage times.”
The 40th anniversary was marked yesterday by a reunion of former Overseas
Containers Limited employees. Mr Tripodi said the gathering at a city hotel
was an occasion to reminisce but also a celebration of the growth and
changes in containerised trade over the last 40 years.
The ‘Encounter Bay’ was the first cellular container ship to carry more than
one thousand TEU* (1138), compared to as many as 4,500 TEU for the larger
container ships which visits Botany Bay today.
“Back in 1970, the first full year of overseas containerships operating in the
Port of Sydney, some 118,000 TEU were handled,” Mr Tripodi said.

Full article here: http://www.sydneyports.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/9077/NSW_Celebrates_40_Year_Container_Trade_Anniversary .pdf

......amen....

R58484956
4th September 2009, 15:16
Greetings Jill and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

ferrandou
4th September 2009, 15:32
Hello, just found this site and after a bit of reading, have recognised a few names and quite a few ships. I put my sea time in at Monty's in the late 60s to the mid 70s and everyone called me 'Hendrix'. I'm still in touch with a few of the girls - in fact they're having their annual reunion this month (weekend of the 19th, if anyone's handy). I'm not going this year but plan to make the pilgrimage next year.

I'll send this link to a few of the others, I'm sure they'll find it just as nostalgic as I have.

Hi Hendrix,

Remember you well, more like an explosion in a matrass factory. your hair that is lol.
Is my beautiful Pixie still alive?

Paddy,

Cretic Icenic, Majestic +

Jillamanda
4th September 2009, 23:41
G'day Paddy, I can't remember Pixie, maybe one of the others will. You'd be surprised just who is still around. Remember Mavis? She's still going strong (in her 80s) and looks no different to what she did way back then.

Great to hear from you (Thumb)

Macphail
5th September 2009, 00:03
Jill,
"Montys".
I remember all the ship's life belts round the walls, big punch up in
the ladies toilet, some of the nice lads in drag took part.
Happy days.
Berthed at Piermont 1967 on a Bank boat.
All the best,
John. XXX

PS. Do you have ginger hair.

Jillamanda
5th September 2009, 00:32
Hi MacPhail, I remember all those lifebelts too, in fact I was responsible for pinching one or two of them. Apparently they're all in some maritime museum or something now, still in Sydney though.

Haha, punchups in the toilets, quite a regular occurrence.

I've got blond hair, you might be thinking of my mate, Blue. I'll never understand why, but people used to get us mixed up all the time..

adrianvare
5th September 2009, 00:52
Is the Shore Bosun still about

Jillamanda
5th September 2009, 00:59
Is the Shore Bosun still about

No, she passed away a few years ago, I hear. I always remember her borrowing shavers to tidy up her 5 o'clock shadow. Apparently, in her latter years, she actually grew a lovely silver beard. B\)

barrinoz
5th September 2009, 01:05
Ahhhh. "Monty's". What memories you've stirred there, Jillamanda. Can't remember you personally, but please don't be offended...... and I'm certain you won't. How brilliant to hear from one of the 'Girls', eh, guys? Any one remember Lance (of Monty's)and his boys. None of them under 6 '2". Any fights broke out, they'd each lock and 'man' a door (to keep any nosey cops out) until it was over and then back behind the bar. What a place. Onya, Jillamanda. Enjoy your reunion.

TonyR
5th September 2009, 01:31
its good to hear Mavis is still going strong, i remember her well from the sixties on the Aden.

Oz.
5th September 2009, 03:47
Jilla babe, see what memories you've rekindled!! Get out the pen mate and start writing. I am so glad that you found this site and have become a member. I can see a new forum starting - Monty's - bring it on!! There has been many a tale told here about the place but only from our point of view but to hear your side will be great. Do you still live in Sydney?

Jillamanda
5th September 2009, 07:07
I'm really glad I found this site too, and I reckon you're right about a Monty's forum. Everyone's got a tale to tell about Monty's, as you say. Joye signed up this morning, but I think she was having a bit of trouble finding her way around - she'll be back though. And I just happen to know Evil Yvonne was looking over her shoulder... They're both Pier girls but spent plenty of time in Monty's. I'll round 'em up eventually. (I'll tell 'em there's a few ships in...)

I'm in Victoria now, in the bush. Haven't been to Sydney for years, but looking forward to next year's reunion..

Four Bells
5th September 2009, 07:48
Maybe we should have an SN---ex MN reunion at the same time,same place, next year,could be interesting reliving the Golden era ??

grant1
5th September 2009, 08:05
Great memories of Montys,around 1967 and a certain young lady by the name of Vicky Voss,what a girl.

TonyR
5th September 2009, 08:15
Hi jill,
you mentioned Mavis being in her 80s now, found this photo of her of her taken early 1960s i guess. Gee couldn't she handle the beer (and the men)
I see you are in country Victoria, me too,

monties
5th September 2009, 08:32
Hi Hendrix,

Remember you well, more like an explosion in a matrass factory. your hair that is lol.
Is my beautiful Pixie still alive?

Paddy,

Cretic Icenic, Majestic +

Sorry Paddy, we lost Pixie a few years back with cancer.
Billy(babs) one of Hendrixs Monties pals

monties
5th September 2009, 08:41

Hi all...just like Jill,was a Monties regular late 60's to mid 70's.Have been a member here for 2 years but it took a Monties girl to get me to post.We are all in regular contact and often have a laugh about our time on the ships.Look forward to reading all the banter.
Cheers Billy(Babs)

ferrandou
5th September 2009, 08:49
G'day Paddy, I can't remember Pixie, maybe one of the others will. You'd be surprised just who is still around. Remember Mavis? She's still going strong (in her 80s) and looks no different to what she did way back then.

Your memory is as bad as mine girl! She was the only beautiful Aborigine in Aus. I most certainly do remember Mavis, glad to hear she is in good form. Enjoy your life in the bush and look forward to hearing from you all .

Bob Hollis

Jillamanda
5th September 2009, 12:17
Hi all...just like Jill,was a Monties regular late 60's to mid 70's.Have been a member here for 2 years but it took a Monties girl to get me to post.We are all in regular contact and often have a laugh about our time on the ships.Look forward to reading all the banter.
Cheers Billy(Babs)

....'bout time you got off your **** and posted something...(Applause)

Jillamanda
5th September 2009, 12:23
Hi jill,
you mentioned Mavis being in her 80s now, found this photo of her of her taken early 1960s i guess. Gee couldn't she handle the beer (and the men)
I see you are in country Victoria, me too,

Yup, she sure could....and from the sounds of things, still does. Sure hasn't done her any harm. What a great pic!! It's starting to look like we might just need a Monty's forum. Look at all the information that's been shared in these few posts, fantastic stuff....and I have a feeling it's just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm in the Sale area in Vic...love it here (Hippy)

Four Bells
5th September 2009, 14:16
Maybe ADMIN can start a new THREAD in the Mess DECK ??? I reckon it will be a goer,Jill welcome,did you get the photos

Ron Stringer
5th September 2009, 19:31
Maybe ADMIN can start a new THREAD in the Mess DECK ??? I reckon it will be a goer,Jill welcome,did you get the photos

Anyone can start a new thread in the Mess Deck forum. Just go to 'Forums', select 'Mess Deck' and then 'press' the 'New Thread' button.

sidsal
5th September 2009, 20:32
Pardon a wingeing Pom asking but what are (or were) Monty's girls.
Only Monty I knew was General Montgomery !!

ferrandou
5th September 2009, 22:01
Pardon a wingeing Pom asking but what are (or were) Monty's girls.
Only Monty I knew was General Montgomery !!

Sidsal

They were the salt of the earth, our friends, our lovers, our companions.
This is my take on who/what they were and most important of all they were a part of my life I will never forget and never allow anyone to denigrate. Any one of them I will welcome into my home this day as they welcomed me and my friends into theirs.
Today I bought a very expensive bottle of wine and drank every glass but one in memory of one,who died, and was very special to me, the last glass was raised to them all.
I propose we who would like to remember them send a donation to Hendrix, Billie, or Mavis so they may have a remembrance drink on us and on the day we have our toast to them from wherever we live.

Bob Hollis Christmas 1966 Iberic

Cutsplice
5th September 2009, 22:47
All I will say is that on several occassions I enjoyed the companionship of some of the Monty,s girls, some may say I was young and foolish then but I would have been foolish not to have enjoyed the company.

ferrandou
5th September 2009, 23:36
Cutsplice,

Did it ever occur to you that they were also young and foolish?

Perhaps also foolish not to enjoy the company!!!

I met many seamen who stupidly imagined they were the important ones!

Nothing like a bit of gold braid on the sleeve of an idiot to increase the feeling of self importance.

Bob Hollis

Iangb
5th September 2009, 23:49
Never had the pleasure personally.......engaged to a Sydney girl at the time, but many of my shipmates would be misty eyed reading this thread.

This little verse from the Vindi Boys site puts ''Monty's'' in context.

http://www.qld.vindicatrix.com/Vindi%20Poems/Watering%20Holes%20by%20David%20Partridge.pdf

Jillamanda
5th September 2009, 23:56
Anyone can start a new thread in the Mess Deck forum. Just go to 'Forums', select 'Mess Deck' and then 'press' the 'New Thread' button.

I've taken your advice and started a thread in the Mess Deck forum:

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?p=356511#post356511

So please come and tell us a few bawdy stories (Thumb)

Jillamanda
6th September 2009, 00:05
Cutsplice,

Did it ever occur to you that they were also young and foolish?

Perhaps also foolish not to enjoy the company!!!

I met many seamen who stupidly imagined they were the important ones!

Nothing like a bit of gold braid on the sleeve of an idiot to increase the feeling of self importance.

Bob Hollis

Oh we were young and foolish too, but who wasn't at that age? Looking back though, it wasn't all that foolish. We were just having fun and to this day, I regret none of it. I feel priveleged to have been a part of it, and being here and hearing the sentiments expressed only reinforces that feeling. As far as the gold braid goes - Monty's girls just didn't associate with officers and very few of them frequented Monty's. I wouldn't even know what upstairs looked like!

Oz.
6th September 2009, 01:34
Thanks Jilly babe for starting the new thread. As for the comment about gold braid and idiots, for petes sake stop !! This is Jilla's place now, lets just have fun here without the immature sniping at gold braid or anything else. Have fun or move on. By the way, I was an Engineer and have worn three gold stripes on my sleves, I was welcomed at Monty's. Have fun here like we did then, or move on to the next pub ! Jilla babe, I love ya!!

Jillamanda
6th September 2009, 01:44
Thanks Jilly babe for starting the new thread. As for the comment about gold braid and idiots, for petes sake stop !! This is Jilla's place now, lets just have fun here without the immature sniping at gold braid or anything else. Have fun or move on. By the way, I was an Engineer and have worn three gold stripes on my sleves, I was welcomed at Monty's. Have fun here like we did then, or move on to the next pub ! Jilla babe, I love ya!!

You must've been one of the few that came to Monty's, and glad you did. Even the wharfies steered clear of the place, except for a stoic few. And everyone was welcomed there - the two things we didn't tolerate were bullshit and thieving (*))....everything else was a goer.

joye aghan
7th September 2009, 23:48
hi joye writing wow what a spin out getting in touch again .I married the love of my life Trevor Scutcher in 2000 but sadly passed two years ago . Would love to hear from people who knew him it would be great.Go all the good girls from monties.cheers Jill for showing me

Hamish Mackintosh
8th September 2009, 01:27
Hey Jilla, I was only in Monties a couple of times in the very early fifties(well before your time i'm sure) but I am in touch with Beth W, who would be of your era I believe, ring any bells?

TonyR
8th September 2009, 08:17
A lot in common with Melodies eh Hamish?

Del Francis
8th September 2009, 13:16
Hi Jill, reading all this about Monty's has got my eyes watering, but the memories are vague and you have helped to rekindle them. I can't for the life of me remember most of the girls names, but remember Mary. One girl I can remember was called Shelly, don't know if she was a Monty's girl, but we were always in there. She was only about 4foot 10in tall but had a firery temper, I had the bruises to proove it. I was mainly on the Star boats and the odd Port boat in the 60's & 70's. Great days, and you girls certainly knew how to enjoy yourselves. Oh, the memories!!!

JoeQ
8th September 2009, 13:49

I remember Mavis from the Laganbank in 1978, she always had her oppo with her, Anne I think her name was. Good to hear she is still around

Hamish Mackintosh
8th September 2009, 15:44
A lot in common with Melodies eh Hamish?

Yes Tony,Melodies could get just as wild , but a lot was dependent on tide times, and which colliers were in port! The neaps were a good time to be in Goole regards H

koala10
8th September 2009, 23:18
Hey Del,
Correct me if I am wrong, but are you the Del that jumped ship with your mate Brian in Beauty Point many a year ago? Australia Star I think>.Cannot remember whether you either got picked up or made your way back to the ship..

joe ninty
9th September 2009, 00:08
Montys,montys what a place I was in and out many times from 64 to 70 on SSA and more recently in 2009 the place may have changed but the heady years are still embeded in my mind cheers Joe ninty

Hamish Mackintosh
9th September 2009, 01:12
Monties have a web site ,and some very old photos, am I letting the cat out of the bag?

Del Francis
9th September 2009, 11:06
Hey Del,
Correct me if I am wrong, but are you the Del that jumped ship with your mate Brian in Beauty Point many a year ago? Australia Star I think>.Cannot remember whether you either got picked up or made your way back to the ship..

Watcha Koala10, yes you are spot on, we did jump ship in Beauty Point, I replied to another thread about that, but my memory seems to have gone walkabout!! I wrote Port Burnie, thanks for correcting me. I'm still in touch with Brian, who lives just outside Auckland NZ. Visited him last year, it was really nice to get back to the Southern Hemisphere. So come on, tell me who you are? (Thumb)

clancy
9th September 2009, 19:22
anyone remember sue connerly about 1965 or a girl named flure cheers clancy[=P]

Four Bells
9th September 2009, 21:40
I seem to remember Billy from Montys on the Kiwi coast 74 ?(Hippy)

TonyR
10th September 2009, 05:14
It asn't changed much as it.???

pensioner
12th September 2009, 22:38
I remember Monty's we used to dock close by when I was on the Port Albany. Jillamander you identified "Jaggers" the fridge graser for me, can you remember the AB, a Kiwi I believe, who had the parrot, it gave the customs man at Gatwick a fright when we all flew home from Montreal it wes sitting by the door and gave its usual HELLO GEORDIE when it was opened. I remember one night to of the girls had a disagreement and got up on the bar for a right old ding-dong, everything was flying until they were both down to just their "toe-nails", a quick spray from the soda siphon and they got off the bar and carried on drinking - the best of mates - THOSE WERE THE DAYS.(Jester) (Jester) (Jester)

rgds

TassieTwo
15th September 2009, 11:12
Hey Hendrix,
Good luck with your thread cobber. I started one in yonks ago on MN site. As Babs Baby can tell you it went off like wildfire. Some of the posts were freaking hilarious, especially when Babs starting telling his stories about” La Montgomeries” Gosh does he have a memory (Scary)
There were over 200+ replies, plus I got a jag load of private emails and pics sent to me. One guy complained once that it was always at top of forums. (Go figure)
Anyway am flying to Sydney Thursday morning, and will be in Monties Saturday. - Will post some photos on Face book. Will also get a couple on the Pyrmont Bridge Website.
Cheers from Good ol’ Tasmania. Beth.xx
Hi Joy & Billy (Babs) Will see u lot next year if I make the trip again. Shame one couldn’t do a ringbolt LOL

TonyR
16th September 2009, 01:19
Have a good weekend Beth,wish i could be there. Remember me to Mavis.TonyR

Hamish Mackintosh
16th September 2009, 01:26
Good On Ya !you found it Beth

Oz.
16th September 2009, 03:41
Hamish, why make it a secret?? Please post the web site address so we can all share.

TassieTwo
16th September 2009, 04:20
Hey there Hamish,
Yes I found it finally. I have been getting your emails ok but have just been a tad busy. Thanks 4 that. Take Care Cheers Beth
Hi Tony,
I still have a copy of that photo of Mavis and printed it out. Will take it with me. Cheers Beth
Hey Oz,
No secret cobber, Hamish just let me know there was a thread started about Monties on this site. It’s taken me sometime to find it. Cheers Beth(Hippy)
The' Not secret" is that Pyrmont Bridge Hotel(aka Monties) have a web site where they put photo's from their birthday bashes. Ithink this Saturday is the pubs 139th birthday.

Four Bells
16th September 2009, 08:41
Here ya go OZ http://pyrmontbridgehotel.com/

TassieTwo
16th September 2009, 12:16
Hey Hendrix,
Just had an email from Billy Cook (aka Tuesday Weld).Found it a bit confusing to get to the site, but he wishes you and everyone else well. He is still doing his work as a spiritual medium. For anyone who sailed with or remembers(Tuesday)Billy check his web page out **Billy Cook c.s.n.u. Spiritual Medium and Clairvoyant Consultations.** Gosh it is along way from his steward days to now. He looks great. Cheers Bethxx
(Frogger)

TassieTwo
19th September 2009, 23:15
Hey Tony,
Just heading back up to Monties for a Sunday session before flying home morow.Great day yesterday.Said hi to Mavis for you.
Check out PBH website later for 139 birthday photos. Plus took alot myself. take Care Cheers Beth(K)

Hamish Mackintosh
20th September 2009, 01:05
Greetings Beth! Is P.J. aware of this site?I don't have an E mail address for him, cheers H

TassieTwo
22nd September 2009, 21:27
Greetings Beth! Is P.J. aware of this site?I don't have an E mail address for him, cheers H

Good morning Hamish,
Will send you PJ's email along with some pics.Take care Cheers Beth(Thumb)

DAVE F
24th September 2009, 14:30
Sidsal

This is my take on who/what they were and most important of all they were a part of my life I will never forget and never allow anyone to denigrate. Any one of them I will welcome into my home this day as they welcomed me and my friends into theirs.
Today I bought a very expensive bottle of wine and drank every glass but one in memory of one,who died, and was very special to me, the last glass was raised to them all.
I propose we who would like to remember them send a donation to Hendrix, Billie, or Mavis so they may have a remembrance drink on us and on the day we have our toast to them from wherever we live.

Well Said (Applause) Either Sidsal was never in Sydney or if he was led a sheltered life if he missed Monties (Pint)

edmond maurice jenkins
24th September 2009, 19:53
Ohhhhh!! Man, I've just been transported back in time. As a 16 year old deckboy on the MV Illyric I found Piermont bridge and at the end of walk, I discovered the Wild Side Of Life in Montys. I heard I'm a Believer over and over on the jukebox and my favourite, (now a pugilistic Aussie politician) Normie Rowe and his playboys. I came out of Montys almost a man. That came later with a nice Aussie girl named Rae who had a big old Holden and loved to do the backseat boogie near Coogee beach. Ohhhh Man.Thanks for the electric shock treatment that kick started my brain and memories.

TassieTwo
24th September 2009, 22:03
Hi Edmond,
We were mulling over the old times on Sunday arvo and the girls who have now passed away.Sadly Rae is among those.The juke box has been replaced by an ATM machine(what a cheek) but there is a spiffy modern jukebox on the wall plus Plasma TV. screens.We had a great time and am looking forward to next year.Cheers

DAVE F
25th September 2009, 06:29
Hi Edmond,
We were mulling over the old times on Sunday arvo and the girls who have now passed away.Sadly Rae is among those.The juke box has been replaced by an ATM machine(what a cheek) but there is a spiffy modern jukebox on the wall plus Plasma TV. screens.We had a great time and am looking forward to next year.Cheers

I wonder how long those Plasma TVs would have lasted in the old days ....[=P]
Cheers (Pint) Dave

Succour
25th September 2009, 08:29
Hello Jillamanda,
Greetings from my wife and me in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. I hope you find lots of old pals to chat with.
All the best.
Succour.

grant1
25th September 2009, 20:22
Does anybody remember a little redhead by the name of Vicky Voss.

Jillamanda
27th September 2009, 11:20
Well, here's me keeping an eye on the other Monty's thread, and this one's kicked on....duh!!

anyone remember sue connerly about 1965 or a girl named flure cheers clancy

I remember a Sue from when I first hit Monty's, the one I'm thinking of married Billy Hird, who jumped off a Shaw Savill ship, can't remember which one. And I do remember Fleur, got no idea what happened to her though.

I seem to remember Billy from Montys on the Kiwi coast 74

I had a mate called Billie who I lost contact with. The last I heard she was in Kiwi.....might be the same one. I'd love to get in touch with her if anyone knows her whereabouts.

I remember Monty's we used to dock close by when I was on the Port Albany. Jillamander you identified "Jaggers" the fridge graser for me, can you remember the AB, a Kiwi I believe, who had the parrot, it gave the customs man at Gatwick a fright when we all flew home from Montreal it wes sitting by the door and gave its usual HELLO GEORDIE when it was opened. I remember one night to of the girls had a disagreement and got up on the bar for a right old ding-dong, everything was flying until they were both down to just their "toe-nails", a quick spray from the soda siphon and they got off the bar and carried on drinking - the best of mates - THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

I vaguely remember the parrot, and believe it or not, I vaguely remember the ding-dong. The Albany had a great bar, I vividly remember the ultra-violet lights and the day-glo posters - no prizes for guessing it was the 60s.(Hippy)

I heard I'm a Believer over and over on the jukebox and my favourite, (now a pugilistic Aussie politician) Normie Rowe and his playboys.

Ahhhhh....the juke box. The bloke who maintained it used to let us put our own 45s on it, I remember 'Time to Kill' by 'The Band', must've played it thousands of times.

I wonder how long those Plasma TVs would have lasted in the old days

Fortunately in our day, there was no room for a TV in Monty's. The walls were covered with all the lifebelts and no one would have watched it anyway...thank Christ. We had far better things to do than watch telly!!

Does anybody remember a little redhead by the name of Vicky Voss.

The name really rings a bell, but I can't put a face to it.

Jillamanda
27th September 2009, 11:24
Hello Jillamanda,
Greetings from my wife and me in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. I hope you find lots of old pals to chat with.
All the best.
Succour.

G'day Succour and thanks for the greetings. Somehow I think we're going to find lots of old pals. As I said before somewhere, it's great to catch up with people who were there because no one else ever believes the stuff we got up to (Thumb)

Jillamanda
27th September 2009, 11:25
....and good onya Beth for being our roving ambassador. Hopefully next year we'll all join you ....

grant1
27th September 2009, 11:26
Vicky used to knock around with a girl named Jan.Jan had a very distinctive cross eye,or was that after a few port and lemonades.

Jillamanda
27th September 2009, 11:33
Jan's still around, in fact Beth has a pic of her from last weekend. We'll have to get her to post them...unless she's already done it somewhere else...

Oz.
27th September 2009, 12:54
Just visited the Pyrmont Bridge Site -- not what I wanted to see!!
There must be many photos around of the old days - and Jilla Babe, next year you can do a ringbolt with me, I will be going up from Melbourne via Gippsland ,Bairnsdale, lakes etc etc - will be a seat for you and your othere if ya wants! My other will be coming too.

Boseley
27th September 2009, 14:21
Are we talking about what I remember as the Montgomery Hotel, Pyrmont, Sydney ? If so I was there in the early 60's

Bob Sendall

Jillamanda
27th September 2009, 19:59
Just visited the Pyrmont Bridge Site -- not what I wanted to see!!
There must be many photos around of the old days - and Jilla Babe, next year you can do a ringbolt with me, I will be going up from Melbourne via Gippsland ,Bairnsdale, lakes etc etc - will be a seat for you and your othere if ya wants! My other will be coming too.

Count me in!!! I'll book a seat with a porthole right here and now!!

I was disappointed with the PBH site too. Not the Monty's we know and love at all!!

TassieTwo
27th September 2009, 21:58
....and good onya Beth for being our roving ambassador. Hopefully next year we'll all join you ....

Hey there Hendrix.
Love the roving ambassador bit lol.(Next year I’ll do the interview thingy)
I put a few photo’s on our FaceBook page and Vernon posted some on the MN site.
He came down from Penrith for his 1st ever visit to Monties and enjoyed it. He missed a few of the girls as he had to go, but next year all being well he is going to bring his wife.
It was great to meet him and we had some good laughs. What else would one expect when some of the ol” monties Mob get together. Take care Love Bethxx
PS If I send you some photo’s maybe u can post them please**not real good at the resizing bit**
Hey Oz** Any room for another ringbolter* don’t care I can do the oilskin locker bit.

DAVE F
28th September 2009, 00:53
Hey there Hendrix.
Love the roving ambassador bit lol.(Next year I’ll do the interview thingy)
I put a few photo’s on our FaceBook page and Vernon posted some on the MN site.
He came down from Penrith for his 1st ever visit to Monties and enjoyed it. He missed a few of the girls as he had to go, but next year all being well he is going to bring his wife.
It was great to meet him and we had some good laughs. What else would one expect when some of the ol” monties Mob get together. Take care Love Bethxx
PS If I send you some photo’s maybe u can post them please**not real good at the resizing bit**
Hey Oz** Any room for another ringbolter* don’t care I can do the oilskin locker bit.

What is the name on the Facebook site ? Cheers Dave

Oz.
28th September 2009, 02:32
Tassie two, so sorry but no room even in the oil skin locker but, if I can convine missus Oz that it will be a boring weekendwell, there will be room for ya. And if Jilla comes alone, you have a whole back seat for yourself. But, all that time in a car alone with 2 Monties gals?? Gawd, me mind is bogglin already!! Please post some pics of the weekend here on this site, also, any from the real Monty's days, rather than the antiseptic yuppy place it looks now. Crab races ?? Gee, couldnt you gals teach them a thing or three!

Oz.
29th September 2009, 08:03
What is the name of the Facebook site please.

Jillamanda
29th September 2009, 08:21
G'day OZ, I've sent you a PM with the link - don't think you're allowed to post links here. Let me know if you have any trouble (Thumb)

Jillamanda
29th September 2009, 08:36
Tassie two, so sorry but no room even in the oil skin locker but, if I can convine missus Oz that it will be a boring weekendwell, there will be room for ya. And if Jilla comes alone, you have a whole back seat for yourself. But, all that time in a car alone with 2 Monties gals?? Gawd, me mind is bogglin already!! Please post some pics of the weekend here on this site, also, any from the real Monty's days, rather than the antiseptic yuppy place it looks now. Crab races ?? Gee, couldnt you gals teach them a thing or three!

I'll be on my own, so we could share the oilskin locker (POP)

Boseley
29th September 2009, 17:59
Are we talking about what I remember as the Montgomery Hotel, Pyrmont, Sydney ? If so I was there in the early 60's

Bob Sendall

Anybody out there?

TassieTwo
29th September 2009, 21:05
Anybody out there?

Hey there Boseley,
For sure it is the Monties you visited in the 60's that we are talking about.Regards

Boseley
1st October 2009, 17:31
Hey there Boseley,
For sure it is the Monties you visited in the 60's that we are talking about.Regards

Thanks for that. What a place that was, we used to drink near the door so that when it erupted we could get out of the firing line. Cabin mate jumped ship because of a liaison at Monties, a Greek Cypriot, called Dimitrious Fizenzou,

Ah well suppose it has all changed now,

Bob Sendall

DAVE F
2nd October 2009, 07:16
Thanks for that. What a place that was, we used to drink near the door so that when it erupted we could get out of the firing line. Cabin mate jumped ship because of a liaison at Monties, a Greek Cypriot, called Dimitrious Fizenzou,

Ah well suppose it has all changed now,

Bob Sendall

Don`t know if it was true but I heard at one time when they fitted a carpet in the bar, it was red so you could not see the blood ................

Regards Dave

Jillamanda
2nd October 2009, 09:18
Don`t know if it was true but I heard at one time when they fitted a carpet in the bar, it was red so you could not see the blood ................

Regards Dave

I remember going in there after they fitted the carpet - can't remember what colour it was though. It just didn't seem right. It's a shame really, the bar itself was saturated with history, so many names etc scratched into it. There's a pub around this area (Farmer's Home Hotel, Lindenow) which has a National Trust Classification on the floor tiles in the bar!! They've renovated the whole pub virtually but aren't allowed to touch the tiles on the floor. When you walk in there, it really is a blast from the past because you never see pubs with tiles on the floor any more, and you don't realise until you're actually there. It's a shame no one got in there before they ruined Monty's.

By the way, did anyone ever find that Golden Rivet??

DAVE F
2nd October 2009, 10:38
I remember going in there after they fitted the carpet - can't remember what colour it was though. It just didn't seem right. It's a shame really, the bar itself was saturated with history, so many names etc scratched into it. There's a pub around this area (Farmer's Home Hotel, Lindenow) which has a National Trust Classification on the floor tiles in the bar!! They've renovated the whole pub virtually but aren't allowed to touch the tiles on the floor. When you walk in there, it really is a blast from the past because you never see pubs with tiles on the floor any more, and you don't realise until you're actually there. It's a shame no one got in there before they ruined Monty's.

By the way, did anyone ever find that Golden Rivet??

Heard the time about the deck boy who asked an old AB about "The Golden Rivet" ... He was told there was a box of chocolates in the bottom drawer ...
When he bent down to get them, the AB kicked the drawer closed trapping the lads hands .....Think He Found The Golden Rivet [=P]

fun funnel
14th October 2009, 02:13
Hey Del,

Hi Koala10
HELLO FROM NZ. Del gave me the site address this mornig You have a great memory. Its really great to hear what you all have to say. I wish I could go back in time It was really great days. would luv to know your real name. and is Beth from Hobart. Will go on site again soon. Take care Luv you all.
PS we made it where we wanted to go (sometimes) we also got pict up and flown to our ship. We both had a ball though.

Del Francis
14th October 2009, 23:55
Hi Koala10
HELLO FROM NZ. Del gave me the site address this mornig You have a great memory. Its really great to hear what you all have to say. I wish I could go back in time It was really great days. would luv to know your real name. and is Beth from Hobart. Will go on site again soon. Take care Luv you all.
PS we made it where we wanted to go (sometimes) we also got pict up and flown to our ship. We both had a ball though.

Well Brian, Finally got on eh! Still don't know who koala10 is. How come you've got the Union flag instead of the Kiwi one, next to your handle?(Smoke)

fun funnel
15th October 2009, 00:03
Well Brian, Finally got on eh! Still don't know who koala10 is. How come you've got the Union flag instead of the Kiwi one, next to your handle?(Smoke)

Its nice to be both kiwi and pom. You should come here with Ann. Well you should have come down under years ago.
If koala10 or Beth see's this please put us out of our missery and let us know who you are. We luv you anyway

reefrat
15th October 2009, 07:11
Sidsal

This simple and graceful message bought a tiny tear to the eye of an old cynic, the fun, the friendship and the toleration, Monty's was a ripper

TassieTwo
16th October 2009, 04:05
Ditto** Reefrat very well put.Could not agree with you more.
Hey Oz will try and put some pics on at the weekend. Cheers

TassieTwo
16th October 2009, 04:31
Its nice to be both kiwi and pom. You should come here with Ann. Well you should have come down under years ago.
If koala10 or Beth see's this please put us out of our missery and let us know who you are. We luv you anyway

Consider yourself put out ofyour misery LOL(Hippy)

TassieTwo
16th October 2009, 09:37
Oz or Hendrix,
What section do i put the photo's in? Maritme Wrecks?Preserved vessels?Lol **I am serious I do not know.
No smart remarks from Mr.Monties himself.xxxx

Iangb
16th October 2009, 09:46
Tassie.
Just a suggestion. Try "Members Faces"......https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/504

Ian

TassieTwo
16th October 2009, 10:01
Thanks Iangb**
Shall do the rest later. That was taxing.

Jillamanda
16th October 2009, 10:08
I'm glad someone else answered that because I have no idea. I'll check out the pics though.

TassieTwo
16th October 2009, 10:11
I'm glad someone else answered that because I have no idea. I'll check out the pics though.
Hey Hendrix,,
Watch the gallery by Sunday evening. Cheers kiddo Bethxx(Hippy)

Jillamanda
16th October 2009, 10:17
OK, looking forward to it. I was talking to Babs before and next time I'm down there I'm going to unpack his printer/scanner (which he hasn't worked out how to use) and scan all his pics. He's got some great ones from the old days and they should be here, particularly now that you've posted those. Thanks for doing that. (Thumb)

Four Bells
17th October 2009, 09:06
Nice photos Beth I saw the 07 0ne via Clancy ages ago,would be great to see some from the OLD DAYS,cheers

D.J.miller
5th November 2009, 19:21
i remember black shirley 66/67 i was on the port burnie

clancy
6th November 2009, 08:59
first time in montys was on the coptic 1964 then the medic, suevic1965, icenic65 66, port albany 1966, and medic again 66-67all a drunken haze,but great times anyone remember bernadette rozak from melborne cheers clancy

Jillamanda
13th November 2009, 06:36
i remember black shirley 66/67 i was on the port burnie

G'day DJ, There's a bit about the shore bosun at the beginning of this thread. Unfortunately, she's crossed the bar, but she had a damn good innings.

Jillamanda
22nd November 2009, 10:45
Has anyone heard from OZ? I had a message from him almost three weeks ago saying he was going into hospital for an eye operation. He said he was expecting everything to go well, but I haven't heard anything since. Hope everything's OK, old mate (Thumb)

bluestar boy stiff
25th November 2009, 20:53
(Thumb) I remember going into Monty's when i was on the Flinders bay 1979, wot a place i met some luvly ladies in there Pommie Linda Irene & her sister Pauline, The lovely Cookie, Leslie & Ming.not 4 getting the piano player who on the night never got thrown out the window LOL. All the lads were winding me up saying i'd get eaten alive once i got fru the door. (i Was shitting it as we made our way over from Balmain)needless to say i'm still here but was eaten alive by an acid taking Shore side Bosun called shirley ha ha. Oh well glad to hear some of the girls are still alive & kicking give them my regards if they can remember i worked for OCL & Blue Star line and went by the nick name of STIFF xx take care god bless all the MONTY GIRLS U WERE GR*[=P] Hello, just found this site and after a bit of reading, have recognised a few names and quite a few ships. I put my sea time in at Monty's in the late 60s to the mid 70s and everyone called me 'Hendrix'. I'm still in touch with a few of the girls - in fact they're having their annual reunion this month (weekend of the 19th, if anyone's handy). I'm not going this year but plan to make the pilgrimage next year.

reefrat
9th December 2009, 04:04
A trip down the nostalgia cul de sac,,, Monty's,,, taken noon today, GMT + 10.00

Jillamanda
9th December 2009, 04:25
Aaaahhhh, the beer looks nice....it'd be great to see a few of those lifebelts on the walls though, wouldn't it?

quietman
9th December 2009, 09:03
Time to put a password on your computers lads (says he mopping his forehead).lol[=P]

julianne
2nd October 2011, 04:18
I'm really glad I found this site too, and I reckon you're right about a Monty's forum. Everyone's got a tale to tell about Monty's, as you say. Joye signed up this morning, but I think she was having a bit of trouble finding her way around - she'll be back though. And I just happen to know Evil Yvonne was looking over her shoulder... They're both Pier girls but spent plenty of time in Monty's. I'll round 'em up eventually. (I'll tell 'em there's a few ships in...)

I'm in Victoria now, in the bush. Haven't been to Sydney for years, but looking forward to next year's reunion..

this brings back memories,piako docked at pyrmont,all the girls sitting on boxes of beer,slasher sladen says keep those women off my ship. third mate twiggy let em all on board for a party haha

Farmer
2nd October 2011, 23:04
Not one for reunions myself but everytime I go there it is like stepping back in time as it is a real time machine that place. Hope it does not change. Like to take this opportunity to thank the girls from the sixties. Does anyone recall a girl called Anya that used to frequent there as she is a Kiwi girl that loved her Barcardi. Like asking if you sailed with John a bit so not expecting any replies but one can only but ask.

Eastend Boy
18th September 2012, 12:35
Just joined this site ,hope your still on this forum ,Montys was agreat place was their while on the Port Burnie 69-70.Remember doing the Dance of the Flaming A******* conga round the bar hahaha insane times

jonjo777
2nd December 2012, 14:48
[QUOTE=Jillamanda;355848]Hello, just found this site and after a bit of reading, have recognised a few names and quite a few ships. I put my sea time in at Monty's in the late 60s to the mid 70s and everyone called me 'Hendrix'. I'm still in touch with a few of the girls - in fact they're having their annual reunion this month (weekend of the 19th, if anyone's handy). I'm not going this year but plan to make the pilgrimage next year.

I'll send this link to a few of the others, I'm sure they'll find it just as nostalgic as I have.[/
hey im jon i remember montys well i was on the north devon at the time tired up at glebe island six weeks montys was our second home wish i could remember this girls name she just lived up road a bit party girl every seaman knew her had some great timed love chat more bout it jon x

bigsandy
10th December 2012, 14:47
Hi Hendrix I remember you well . I was 2nd.cook on freemantle star 1971/1972 and you took me under your wing. when we sailed up to Newcastle you travelled up by road and were first up the gangway.My name is Sandy and I am Scottish, we were as they say "Ships that pass in the night".fond memories,and god bless you.

PD777
11th December 2012, 20:55
Wow.........a reunion in Montys..........The mind boogles..........LOL Sorry to hear the 'Shore Bosun' has passed away. I remember her borrowing another AB's sea boots on a rainy day to get back up the road Monty's !!!!!!!!......LOL
Good luck, you have certainly brought back a lot of happy memories, at least the ones i was sober enough to remember that is.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!
as we say in bonnie scotland........'Aw da Best'
Rab.

jonjo777
12th December 2012, 09:06
[
]31996[/ATTACH]Hey Hendrix,,
Watch the gallery by Sunday evening. Cheers kiddo Bethxx(Hippy)

hi

britmariner12
17th March 2013, 02:45
Hello Guys,
anyone remember when the Suevic went on fire and destroyed thousands of barrels of whisky?? We fought the fire for hours out at Glebe island; tv cameras all over the place so we were "heroes" when we finally walked into Monty's later that day. Still stinking of smoke and burnt whisky. My "friend" at the time was Cindy, an aborigine girl with a gap in her front teeth!! I remember Shirley and another girl named Sue, lots more of course but after too many rum-and cokes.......blank!! The last time I was in Monty's was in 1970 when on the Ocean Monarch. Running pax up to Japan for the Expo. Fabulous memories of the late 60's and early 70's; we were wild, and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Best Regards,
Phil Archer.

jonjo777
17th March 2013, 14:11
hi phil nice to here of some one who remembers those girls i never forget shirley i knew others but shirley sticks out we were up at glebe island engine trouble about 5 weeks she seen us guys allright never went without a drink even a place to get your head down back at her place not far from montys boy how i wish i could go back to then things were so wild so much fun even now i think bout it and that was in late 60s never ever forget thanks for the memorys phil yours jon

britmariner12
18th April 2013, 04:00
Hello Jill, Your're not the original "Kiwi Jill" are you ?? The love of my life!!!! Anyway, if not, remember the fire on the Suevic?? Respect to all you girls on the ausie and NZ coast.......I had wonderful times and I love you all.

Best Regards, Phil Archer

steveriley
24th June 2014, 14:17
hi hendrix, i seem to remember you, was first there on the colorado star in 73 the few other blue star boats and act 1 and 7, is kiwi jimmy and pommy linda still about