RFA Tiderace

George.GM
11th February 2019, 13:17
In June 1958 RFA Tiderace was renamed Tideflow to (they said) avoid confusion with Tidesurge and Tidereach .
In 2018 the new Tiderace was commissioned.

How long will it be before she is renamed (hopefully Tideflow or Tidepool).
Have the MOD(N) Ship Naming Committee learnt nothing from their
1958 mistake
And the dreadful affair in 1965 when they had to rename Olynthus and
Oleander to avoid confusion with Olympus and Leander

Waighty
11th February 2019, 13:45
Same sort of cock-up when the Dog Class tug RMAS Beagle had to be renamed as RMAS Bassett because of the then new HMS Beagle.

I think RFA Fort Grange was renamed Fort Rosalie to avoid a bit of potential names confusion with the then Fort George.

King Ratt
11th February 2019, 14:25
I was in Oleander when her name was changed. We had mail and signals for HMS Leander for weeks on end until the penny dropped and a name change took place. Was there not a tale, possibly apocryphal, of the signalman of Tidereach who went every morning to collect mail in an Italian port? He had been told for about a week there was none. One day however bunts noticed a pile lying addressed to the ship. On pointing out it was Tidereach’s mail, came the reply “Oh you mean Tiddy Rachy”. Perhaps more believable had the RFA been Tiderace.

Split
11th February 2019, 18:29
In June 1958 RFA Tiderace was renamed Tideflow to (they said) avoid confusion with Tidesurge and Tidereach .
In 2018 the new Tiderace was commissioned.

How long will it be before she is renamed (hopefully Tideflow or Tidepool).
Have the MOD(N) Ship Naming Committee learnt nothing from their
1958 mistake
And the dreadful affair in 1965 when they had to rename Olynthus and
Oleander to avoid confusion with Olympus and Leander

I was with an Old Man who told me that he had served on her. He said that she was known as the Tiderace to rhyme with that popular singer, at the time, Liberace. Could that be a reason?

kauvaka
11th February 2019, 21:33
I was with an Old Man who told me that he had served on her. He said that she was known as the Tiderace to rhyme with that popular singer, at the time, Liberace. Could that be a reason?

Yes. I was on RFAs during the late 50s and early 60s and that was certainly the story at the time.

LouisB
11th February 2019, 21:56
Yes. I was on RFAs during the late 50s and early 60s and that was certainly the story at the time.

Would have thought a pennant number would have identified correctly the vessel/s concerned - whether warships or auxiliaries.

LouisB (Scribe)

dab
11th February 2019, 23:47
As one of the new "Tides" (Spring), why not call one of the others (Pool), and thus keep the names of the two ships that changed the introduction of the first of the new (AC) class of vessels. Tidespring A75 and Tidepool A76. These two ships were an introduction to the (Os) and future builds.

Split
12th February 2019, 14:12

Maybe you knew him, then. Paul Abley, a real gentleman. Soft spoken, came from Southampton and had an Extra Master's.