Eurybates 1955

barrielockton
22nd February 2019, 17:18
My father James Lockton was Chief Steward on the Eurybates. When returning from the Far East... he became sick with thrombosis... and put ashore at Lisbon, Portugal in January 1955... where he passed away.

I tried to find his gravesite when I visited Portgual in 1995... but not successful.

Now I am doing some work on Family Ancestry, and would like to confirm him by looking at crew lists.

Can anyone help...

Thank you

Barrie Lockton

Harry Nicholson
23rd February 2019, 16:19
[QUOTE=barrielockton;2969957]My father James Lockton was Chief Steward on the Eurybates. When returning from the Far East... he became sick with thrombosis... and put ashore at Lisbon, Portugal in January 1955... where he passed away.

I tried to find his gravesite when I visited Portgual in 1995... but not successful.

Now I am doing some work on Family Ancestry, and would like to confirm him by looking at crew lists.

Can anyone help...

Thank you

Barrie Lockton[/QUOTE

Perhaps local hospital records, or newspaper reports might help. Even the records of the Lisbon consulate/embassy could have some reference to time and place of burial - they would be interested in the disposal of the remains of a British national, I'd have surmised.
For the UK at least, cemetaries usually keep careful records.
Good luck with your investigations, Barrie

Roger Griffiths
23rd February 2019, 16:56
Hello and welcome,
The 1955 Logbooks and Crew Agreements of EURYBATES official number
149668, are held by NMM Greenwich. Try the following form if a trip to Greenwich is not a possibilty.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/national-maritime-museum/caird-library/crew-lists-agreements-official-logs-request-form

Have you searched the Deaths at Sea and Overseas Deaths on Find My Past?

regards
Roger

barrielockton
23rd February 2019, 18:26
Those of us new to this Forum really appreciate the direction from members, who appear to go out of their way to set us on the right path. I'll report back to my successes, which I'm sure will come