Can any one tell me what Board of Trade means.\

from some kind of discharge papers

Vessel
Port of Reg Glasgow; Tonnage
Jan 1869 Sanctioned by Board of Trade

Any info would be a great help. Mark.

K urgess
8th September 2009, 13:29
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire, Mark.
Board of Trade then the Ministry of Transport. Just another name for which ministry was responsible for the Merchant Navy.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

Basil
8th September 2009, 13:41
Found this - always wondered why it wasn't the BoT when I joined in 1962:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/aboutus/corporate/history/outlines/BT-1621-1970/page13919.html

During the second half of the nineteenth century the Board also became responsible for . . such matters as . . control of merchant shipping, . . .

1939 The Board's merchant shipping functions passed to the Ministry of Transport.

1964 The Board re-acquired responsibility for merchant shipping.

1970 The Department of Trade and Industry came into being on the 20th October of that year. This new department united the trade and industrial policy functions previously carried out by the Board of Trade . . .

Though the government department known as the Board of Trade was no longer in practical existence the Board remained in existence for legal reasons and the Secretary of State retained the historic office of President of the Board of Trade.

billyboy
8th September 2009, 13:45
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

mark simpson
8th September 2009, 17:35
Found this - always wondered why it wasn't the BoT when I joined in 1962:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/aboutus/corporate/history/outlines/BT-1621-1970/page13919.html

During the second half of the nineteenth century the Board also became responsible for . . such matters as . . control of merchant shipping, . . .

1939 The Board's merchant shipping functions passed to the Ministry of Transport.

1964 The Board re-acquired responsibility for merchant shipping.

1970 The Department of Trade and Industry came into being on the 20th October of that year. This new department united the trade and industrial policy functions previously carried out by the Board of Trade . . .

Though the government department known as the Board of Trade was no longer in practical existence the Board remained in existence for legal reasons and the Secretary of State retained the historic office of President of the Board of Trade.

Many thanks to you all for you help Mark.

Gulpers
8th September 2009, 18:39
Mark,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

R58484956
8th September 2009, 18:39
Greetings Mark and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

bert thompson
8th September 2009, 19:45
Mark welcome. See you already have a reply to your query. Enjoy all that this site offers
Best wishes
Bert.

gdynia
8th September 2009, 21:23
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

benjidog
8th September 2009, 22:59
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.