Educational Cruises on MV Devonia

johnb0725
2nd April 2019, 16:35
I was on an educational cruise on MV Devonia in 1963 (end May/beginning June) which sailed from Greenock to Oslo, Copenhagen, Helsinki and Leningrad and returned to Dundee. Most/all of the passengers were from schools in Argyll in the west of Scotland. I would like to share my experiences of this cruise and hear from others. I would also like to know if there are passenger lists anywhere for this cruise as my memory now is not always reliable without documentary official proof or reminders from the memories of others. With age we all forget some things but if we each drop different bits of memory we may eventually form a complete picture of those past experiences. It would be no exaggeration to say that the cruise was one of the most memorable experiences of my life when I was 12 coming on thirteen!

richardwakeley
3rd April 2019, 03:37
I was on a Devonia cruise also, 1964 I think, from Avonmouth to Madeira, Tangier and Lisbon, back to Avonmouth. This was for Somerset schools. A great time, which confirmed my interest in going to sea.

johnb0725
3rd April 2019, 08:11
Do you remember whether there was an official photographer on board who may have taken pictures of various groups of people? I'm trying to find a picture of our complete group, just the people from our school or even from our cabin.
Cheers,
John

richardwakeley
3rd April 2019, 08:56
I have a photo of our school group, taken at Avonmouth on our return. Its a large print, but I have it in mind the photographer may have been from the Bristol Evening Post and not the ship.

johnb0725
3rd April 2019, 09:30
Thanks for the information.
Cheers,
John

jimg0nxx
3rd April 2019, 10:32
I was 3rd R/O on Devonia on her first season of educational cruising in 1962. I am fairly sure there was no official photographer on board. On occasions there were press photographers on sections of trips.

johnb0725
3rd April 2019, 13:03
Thanks, Richard. I will continue pursuing my search with those I remember being there with me including the families of the two teachers who were on the cruise with us. Sadly at least one of the teachers has already passed away. I will also investigate whether the school has any old records of who went on the cruise: I think that will be a long shot these days as most schools nowadays don't have the resources to keep and look after long-term records.
Cheers,
John