M V Armadale

Lindsay Forrest
9th September 2009, 02:02
I am trying to contact anyone who sailed on the Armadale 1971--74.
I was third engineer.
Lindsay Forrest

non descript
9th September 2009, 07:40
Lindsay, A warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and let's see what we can do for you - Enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings in due course. (Thumb)

bert thompson
9th September 2009, 07:43
Welcome Lindsay to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

billyboy
9th September 2009, 08:01
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

R58484956
9th September 2009, 08:19
Greetings Lindsay and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

J Boyde
9th September 2009, 08:23
Lindsay, Cannot help, I was with Trinders in the early sixes to mid area. I sailed with Yorky, who was a junior when I first met him, Last met him when He was chief in the Antrim. The other junior I was with was charlie Saunders. )Sanders?) who I am told became chief on the Galway. The three of us juniors anly came ashore together once, Antwerp, but I will keep that night into private history.
Jim B

K urgess
9th September 2009, 10:36
Welcome aboard from northern England, Lindsay.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

Moulder
9th September 2009, 11:16
Hi Lindsay - welcome to SN.

I sailed on mv Armadale at that time - joined in Le Havre on 10.12.71. - did the Med and Aussie coast then back to Dagenham for the UK coast, eventually paying off in Liverpool on 24.4.72.

I was RO on board and remember you from that trip.

That was a good voyage - nice to hear from you.

Steve.
(Thumb)

Nova Scotian
9th September 2009, 12:38
I was third engineer.
Lindsay Forrest

Welcome Aboard Lindsay:

We probably sailed on Armadale together. I joined her in Sydney, Australia, as 2/Mate, in the fall of 1971. I relieved the 3/Mate who, I believe, had left the ship sick. We discharged general cargo at the usual east coast ports before loading zinc and zircon sand in Townsville for Valencia and Marseille. Stayed with the vessel until the end of November and left her in the Tyne where she had spent a couple of weeks in drydock. The Master was Rod Oglvey and he was accompanied by his wife and three children on that trip. A fairly uneventful trip...Geoff Mortimer was the other 2/Mate.

Cheers

Nova Scotian

Locking Splice
9th September 2009, 14:16
Hi Lindsey,

Welcome to the site, sailed on the Armadale as AB, Oct 1974----March 1975, (A good ship).

Best Regards

Yuge

Gulpers
9th September 2009, 20:54
Lindsay,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

benjidog
9th September 2009, 22:12
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

peterreid54
10th December 2010, 13:45
did my last trip on the armadale nov 72-march 73 what a great ship.she wascontracted to psnc at the time.sailing to bermuda bahamas virgin isles panama peru and chile to think i got payed for that what would it cost now on a cruise ship

Richard Culligan
31st August 2011, 17:03
I was third engineer.
Lindsay Forrest

Just seen your post. I was with Trinders from Mar 1967 to Feb 1971 and sailed on the Armadale's maiden voyage (Nav Cadet) from Tyne & Wear Sept 1970 returning Belfast Feb 1971. Then a short trip from Belfast to Clyde Ports. She was a nice ship.

Richard (R846959)

William L Davidson
5th June 2013, 04:16
I was third engineer.
Lindsay Forrest

G'Day Lindsay,
You and I did the first trip on The Armadale. Sunderland, Glasgow, Fremantle, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Ardrossan, Port Giles, Belfast.
Frank Naracott was CE, George Lilly 2E Jim Watt was 3E on the first two runs. Rod Ogilvy was the old man.
Did two trips and paid off in London 04-07-71
All the Best.
Bill Davidson

Richard Culligan
5th June 2013, 08:22
Hi Bill

I don't remember Ardrossan; didn't we do Brisbane after Sydney as it was my first port of call as 3rd Mate due to our original 3rd mate being put on another company ship (can't remember the name) which was in Sydney at the time?

That was the second time I had sailed with Rod Ogilvy (big smoker) the first time was on my first trip on the Araluen in 1967.

Richard

ChathamChavs
5th June 2013, 18:28
Frank Naracott and George Lilly were still on the Armadale in 1977.I was Electrician . On a KNSM charter Europe/Caribbean. Had an obnoxious Dutch supercargo . Can't remember the old mans name - we just called him "The Peacock". Not a bad bloke , just used to strut around !! Quite amusing!!

William L Davidson
7th June 2013, 00:44
Hi Bill

I don't remember Ardrossan; didn't we do Brisbane after Sydney as it was my first port of call as 3rd Mate due to our original 3rd mate being put on another company ship (can't remember the name) which was in Sydney at the time?

That was the second time I had sailed with Rod Ogilvy (big smoker) the first time was on my first trip on the Araluen in 1967.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Yes, we did Brisbane too, then to Ardrossan and Port Giles, on Yorke Peninsular SA. Loaded grain for Belfast. Had Christmas and New Year there, 1970.
Stopped at Albany WA on way to Belfast, via Capetown.

We did a main engine crankshaft survey in Brisbane. She was brand new.
Doxford J4

Andy Gobels was the 3rd Mate; you replaced him in Sydney, he went to NZ to join another vessel.

MV Armadale was a good ship, good team.

Cheers,
Bill.

Richard Culligan
7th June 2013, 08:27
Hi Bill

I had forgotten about Ardrossan as well as Albany. Will have to check my map of my voyages which I still have in a box somewhere.

I remember Port Giles and going to a 'do' at a nearby hotel. Also an incident with police coming on board one night re one of the crew (about the taking of a car) when I was on night duty.

Then my first watch on leaving Port Giles reading in the logbook about another crew member who was injured due to 'falling down a gangway'!

Cheers
Richard

Phil McDonald
8th February 2017, 19:59
I was third engineer.
Lindsay Forrest

I was a Navigating Officer cadet on the Armadale. 1972 I think.

Phil McDonald

Phil McDonald
10th February 2017, 09:12
When I was on the Armadale we got caught in Hurricane Agnes in June 1972. I think Jim Newbold was the 3rd engineer on that trip and there was a junior engineer called Chris (I think he was from Oz or NZ). When we were in the Arabian gulf prior to going to Townsville they bought Arab outfits and hookah pipes. I've got a photo of that somewhere. Armadale was only 18 months old then. Beautiful ship. Huge shock to find that she was abandoned by her crew after an explosion and fire in 1989.