Ben Ledi & Benanan half hulls

frankcop
10th September 2009, 19:42
Hi , I am new here and come to this site as a result of curiosity. My curiosity is sparked by the fact that I have inherited 2 very old half hulls. They are for two ships built in 1871 and 1875, those being Ben Ledi and Benanan. I searched for information on these ships which led me here. I have found a little information on both ships regarding the build date and their eventual date of demise. I would be grateful if anyone has information that may be of interest. Thanks

eriskay
10th September 2009, 20:26
The 'Benledi' of 1871 was the Ben Line's first steamer, before that their ships were all sailing vessels. The 'Benledi', 1,557 GRT, a product of the Clydeside shipyard of Barclay Curle, was wrecked in 1887.

Not sure of the 'Benanan', however, will investigate further later. Is that spelling correct? Cannot find her builder - suspect she may have been an acquisition, perhaps a sailing vessel ?

gdynia
10th September 2009, 20:59
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

frankcop
10th September 2009, 21:18
The 'Benledi' of 1871 was the Ben Line's first steamer, before that their ships were all sailing vessels. The 'Benledi', 1,557 GRT, a product of the Clydeside shipyard of Barclay Curle, was wrecked in 1887.

Not sure of the 'Benanan', however, will investigate further later. Is that spelling correct? Cannot find her builder - suspect she may have been an acquisition, perhaps a sailing vessel ?

The Benanan was also Barclay Curle according to the markings on the half hull and was built in 1875. It is marked with No.251 which I am told is a reference to the yard/dock where it was built. Thanks for your message it si all very interesting.

john fraser
10th September 2009, 21:25
Hi , I am new here and come to this site as a result of curiosity. My curiosity is sparked by the fact that I have inherited 2 very old half hulls. They are for two ships built in 1871 and 1875, those being Ben Ledi and Benanan. I searched for information on these ships which led me here. I have found a little information on both ships regarding the build date and their eventual date of demise. I would be grateful if anyone has information that may be of interest. Thanks

There was a Benan in the Ben line Fleet in 1675

john fraser
10th September 2009, 21:32
If it is Benan here are her details: Built 1875 by Barclay Curle 1416 tons
Length 243 x37 Beam x 22 Draught.Wrecked on 23rd.December 1888 on Cloates Point West Australia.
Taken from The Ben Line author George Blake

frankcop
10th September 2009, 21:39
If it is Benan here are her details: Built 1875 by Barclay Curle 1416 tons
Length 243 x37 Beam x 22 Draught.Wrecked on 23rd.December 1888 on Cloates Point West Australia.
Taken from The Ben Line author George Blake

My mistake I just visited the hull again , it is Benan. I mistook the N of the No.251 as a continuation of the name. These hulls belonged to my grandfather and would have come from the period in the 1870's so they fit the descriptions you and others have provided.

I must say that it is fascinating hearing of the history of theses ships although in the long term I have no idea what to do with things as large as these are. They are both between 5 and 6 feet long. Thanks very much for your messages.

eriskay
10th September 2009, 22:06
Ah ... that explains it! Should have guessed the correct name as Ben An, like Ben Ledi, is a mountain in Perthshire, North of Aberfoyle, and the Owners called their ships after Scottish mountains. She was indeed a sailing vessel, three masted, and iron hull.

Yes - the number '251' is the Barclay Curle's Yard Number allocated to that specific order. The earlier vessel, the steamer 'Benledi' was their Yard Number 214.

As to the disposition of these half-hulls, in the assumption that they are too cumbersome for domestic accommodation and you do want them away, you could always try the Scottish Maritime Museum to identify any possible interest for the new Maritime Museum currently under construction, and which is not that far away from where these two vessels were built. Was your grandfather involved in any way with the Builder or the Leith Owners?

Regards and good luck,

Angus.

billyboy
10th September 2009, 22:31
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

frankcop
10th September 2009, 23:04
Ah ... that explains it! Should have guessed the correct name as Ben An, like Ben Ledi, is a mountain in Perthshire, North of Aberfoyle, and the Owners called their ships after Scottish mountains. She was indeed a sailing vessel, three masted, and iron hull.

Yes - the number '251' is the Barclay Curle's Yard Number allocated to that specific order. The earlier vessel, the steamer 'Benledi' was their Yard Number 214.

As to the disposition of these half-hulls, in the assumption that they are too cumbersome for domestic accommodation and you do want them away, you could always try the Scottish Maritime Museum to identify any possible interest for the new Maritime Museum currently under construction, and which is not that far away from where these two vessels were built. Was your grandfather involved in any way with the Builder or the Leith Owners?

Regards and good luck,

Angus.
My grandfather was from Leith and worked as a ships carpenter initially and then had his own Joinery business in Leith. He died in the late 60's and these have passed to me via my mother who passed away in the last year. My grandfather had these half hulls on his office wall along with plenty of other things maritime. The only ship I knew of that my grandfather sailed on as ships carpenter was Otaki ( NZ i think), this would have been best part of 90 years ago I think. My great grandfather, I am told, had a small shipyard in Leith up until the depression in the 20's when it went under. I cannot be sure if there were any direct links with the owners although I know most of my grandfathers work when he had the joinery business was tied to shipping and the docks in Leith. I recall being taken around the docks many times in the 50's and early 60's on my summer visits to Scotland.

As far as the furure of the hald hulls goes it is only likely to be an enthusiast that might find space for them as they are in very poor condition as my mother stored them for many years and time has taken its toll on them. Not surprising i suppose as they are in the region of 130 years old. Thanks for your interest.

Gulpers
11th September 2009, 22:27
Frankcop,

A warm welcome to the site from the Isle of Anglesey!
I hope you thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)