Black pearl

Bill Morrison
14th May 2019, 20:18
Watching Impossible Engineering on Ch. 19 U.K. tonight I came across this. Some may have seen it before but new to me. This is definitely "Back to the Future."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qipWHayS-c

Dartskipper
14th May 2019, 21:13
"It's sailing Jim, but not as we knew it...…"

Barrie Youde
14th May 2019, 21:33
How beautiful!

Many congratulations to all involved in a breathtaking achievement!

Freo
15th May 2019, 01:51
Now that's a yacht !!. Absolutely beautiful, and incredible engineering. Love it.

Laurie Ridyard
15th May 2019, 07:40
Now that's a yacht !!. Absolutely beautiful, and incredible engineering. Love it.

Aahhaa ! Jim ! Lad ! Shiver me timbers !

That is not a yacht ! It's a square rigged ship.

ATB

Laurie

Davie M
15th May 2019, 17:15
It showed how an old way of powering square riggers can be brought up to date with modern technology.
Liked the idea of modifying the sails to become solar panels as well as driving the yacht.
But as said by Roy, not sailing as we know it.
Davie

Barrie Youde
15th May 2019, 17:24
In the video, the claim was made that she could cross the Atlantic without using fuel.

That, surely, is sailing?

My only misgivings would be the lack of standing rigging. But I'm sure the metallurists will have got their sums sight!

Harry Nicholson
15th May 2019, 21:07
In the video, the claim was made that she could cross the Atlantic without using fuel.

My only misgivings would be the lack of standing rigging. But I'm sure the metallurists will have got their sums sight!

That is a gorgeous vessel. Wikipedia has this about its rig:

DynaRig System[edit]
The DynaRig owes its origin to Wilhelm Prölss' research in the 1960s. The DynaRig consists of freestanding rotating masts with rigid yards and acts as a square rig. Each of Black Pearl's masts supports six yards, which, unlike a conventional square rigger, have built-in camber of 12%. The fifteen square sails are set between the yards in such a way that when deployed there are no gaps in the sail plan of each mast, enabling them to act as a single airfoil. The furling sails are stored in the mast and can be deployed along tracks on the yards in six minutes. The sails are trimmed by rotating the masts. As there is no rigging, the masts and yards can be rotated without restriction for all points of sail, making Black Pearl a capable upwind clipper.

Further information: DynaRig

spongebob
16th May 2019, 05:58

Barrie, all that motorised mast manipulation and motor settings of rig angles etc would chew up a fair amount of power and the trailing propellor generation would be vital to a nil fuel crossing.
A new concept that is not likely to replace the old rag and wind trick any time soon.

Bob

Barrie Youde
16th May 2019, 07:08
#9 (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=9)

Point taken - and many thanks, Bob.

My concern would be as to the sheer strength of the masts to remain upright without stays of any kind.

spongebob
16th May 2019, 07:34
#9 (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=9)

Point taken - and many thanks, Bob.

My concern would be as to the sheer strength of the masts to remain upright without stays of any kind.

Bring some to mind the kiln our company built for Team NZ to condition carbon fibre and titanium masts and spars over twenty years ago. Even that is probably redundant as smarter technology advances materials of unbelievable tortional ans bending strength..
I still love tha varnished spruce, oregan or Kauri spars and their stays that reek of older times.

Bob

Robert Hilton
16th May 2019, 08:32
The yards appear to be only braced by rotating the masts. How do they allow for the fact that the wind is stronger higher up and lower yards need to be braced more sharp up due to the apparent wind drawing ahead with the ship's motion? In the past I have heard of modern sailing machines wings being computer controlled and wondered if the foregoing and similar information was in the programme.