Searching for my Dads ships

scoobox
26th May 2019, 14:28
Hi. I came across this forum while searching for information on the ships that my father served on during his war time service with the Royal Navy. HMS Sussex and the Royal Sovereign currently being looked for.
Hope to be an active member of this forum.
Rod

Frank P
26th May 2019, 20:08
Welcome onboard, enjoy the site. There should be someone here who can help you..

Cheers Frank

Roger Bentley
27th May 2019, 12:25
Hi. I came across this forum while searching for information on the ships that my father served on during his war time service with the Royal Navy. HMS Sussex and the Royal Sovereign currently being looked for.
Hope to be an active member of this forum.
Rod
Rod, HMS Royal Sovereign a battleship was built at Portsmouth by Parsons 29/04/15 became Russian Archangelsk 1944 - 1949, and then returned broken up at Inverkeithing 18/05/49.
HMS Sussex London class cruiser. Hawthorn Leslie 22/02/28, scrapped at Dalmuir 20/01/55. Source Warships of WW2, H T Lenton and J J Colledge. Hope this of some help. Roger

scoobox
27th May 2019, 16:44
Hi Roger. Thanks for the information on the Royal Sovereign. I knew that she was sold to Russia but didn't know about the building or the scrapping. Little by little the information is building up. I will include this in the epilogue/credit of his book.

Roger Bentley
28th May 2019, 16:31
Hi Roger. Thanks for the information on the Royal Sovereign. I knew that she was sold to Russia but didn't know about the building or the scrapping. Little by little the information is building up. I will include this in the epilogue/credit of his book.

Rod, Many thanks. The pennant number of Royal Sovereign was 5, and the Sussex was 96. Service South Atlantic 1939 East Indies 1940,Home Fleet 1940-43.Eastern Fleet 1943-45.Cheers, Roger

scoobox
28th May 2019, 18:16
I may have said that I am typing up my Dads autobiography. Its been a number of years since he died and I have been rather reluctant to digitise it. It wont OCR scan so by hand rekeying is the order of the day. I have learned that he joined Sussex in 1934 and did the tour of Australia with the Duke of Gloucester aboard. He was transferred to the Royal Sovereign in the early 40s (date to be confirmed as yet) after promotion. The Pennat numbers are appreciated