mwebster56

mwebster56
19th October 2005, 10:58
Hi everyone
My name is Mike (*)) Webster
I worked for Shaw Saville in 1972/73 doing a bit of Albert Dock relieving on the Cretic, Majestic, Illyric. Followed by 5 trips to South America on the Darro(Carnatic).
After that I worked for Bank Line up to 1977 - Nairnbank, Shirrabank, Sprucebank and finally a 9 month tour of the world on Nairnbank again.
I look back with nostalgia on my entire time working for both Companies. Has anyone else worked on these ships around that time. Does anyone know what happened to the Nairnbank? After sailing on her for over 18 months it is part of my heritage.
Mike

david smith
19th October 2005, 11:09
Welcome - first trip cadet Illyric R.A.Dock January 1972
enjoy the site!

Doug Rogers
19th October 2005, 11:36
Welcome aboard the site Mike, enjoy what we have to offer.

thunderd
19th October 2005, 12:37
Hi Mike, a warm welcome to this great site, I'm sure you will have plenty to add to the collective ships knowledge and photos, we look forward to your posts.

holmsey
26th September 2006, 17:37
Greetings Mike

I salied on the Cretic, Icenic and the Darro during that time, was on the Darro with my wife '73

Regards
Jim Holmes

Hugh MacLean
26th September 2006, 17:44
Glad to have you aboard, Mike, I hope you enjoy the site.
Rgds

non descript
26th September 2006, 17:50
A warm welcome to you Mike, enjoy the site and all it has to offer. We look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

benjidog
26th September 2006, 18:30
Welcome from the North of England Mike.

I am sure you will find a lot of interest here and maybe run into some of your old pals.

Enjoy the site.

Regards,

Brian

rushie
26th September 2006, 18:40
Hi Mike,

Enjoy the site and the Shaw Savill section.

Rushie

gdynia
27th September 2006, 03:30
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the experince

mwebster56
28th September 2006, 16:25
Hi Jim
Just saw your post. What position did you have on the Darro? The name rings a bell but I can't place you. The only wife I remember sailing with on the Darro was the Mates, I didn't see much of her as she suffered very badly with sea sickness.
When I was on the Darro the old man was called Ledra, the Chief was Bill Muir and the 2/E was a Scotsman who was married to an Argentinian girl, I can't remember his name. There was a deck cadet called Charlie, the fridge engineer was called Ralph, the 4/e was Les Hart then Basil, 5/e Jim Massey. I can't remember anybody else's name.
Best regards Mike

holmsey
28th September 2006, 16:58
Greetings Mike
I was 3/E and I think I was on a trip before you, the 2/E was the same guy as yours, I have posted some photos onto the SSA ship web site but they ended up on the Drina page, try this link for a look see, I'm the long haired geek on the left of both pic's (still the same)
http://www.shawsavillships.co.uk/drina.htm
Regards Jim H

holmsey
28th September 2006, 17:40
Greetings Mike
Just found and scanned another image from that Darro trip, this is one I took of a group of the lads and my wife, Jean in Buenos Aries. The guy at the back is Dave Graham, a Scottish engineer, the guy on the right was, I think the RO and I'm not sure about the other 2, if you don't know perhaps someone else will.

Regards
Jim H

mwebster56
13th October 2006, 15:42
Jim
I have queried this Drina link before. Some of the guys on your pics I sailed with on the Darro. One of them was called Bob but we called him Yorkie, One was called Raz, cant remember what his real name was, and the guy with the washing powder box, I cant remember his name but he was a junior like I was at the time. The bloke at the front looks like someone I knew called Mog. I think that you must have joined the Darro after I left it as Yorkie and the soap box man started when I was on my 3rd trip and were still on it when I left. The Scottish 2nd started when I was on my 2nd trip, the 2/E before him was a Latvian called Ranus Breedus. Just as a pointer, before I had my first trip on the Darro, we were waiting on the quay when she was brought into the Victoria dock with the name Carnatic on the front and back. They chiselled and burned off the Carnatic name plates and called her Darro. I sailed on her the very first trip she was called Darro. On your BA picture, the guy in the purple shirt looks familiar, as he did when I first looked at the Drina pictures but I dont know who he is.

K urgess
13th October 2006, 15:47
Hi and welcome.

I was on Sprucebank '71/72, before your time.
If you're nostalgic this is definitely the place(Thumb)

tom hanley
18th December 2006, 09:33
Hi Mike,

tom hanley
18th December 2006, 09:45
Hi Mike,
I have just signed up and saw your message. I served on the Nairnbank around 1993 1994 as 4th Eng. Names I remember are Nigel Reid 3rd Eng. and W.W.Davies was the Captain. Some of my fondest memories are from the time spent on that ship. Maybe you have sailed with some others I may know?
Regards.
Tom H.

mwebster56
3rd January 2007, 14:11
Tom
Was the Nairnbank still around in 1993? or was it a newer model than the one I was on ? which was built in 1966.
I left that ship in December 1976 in Newport after an 8 month tour of the world and I looked in the shipping register in the early 80's and the Nairnbank was not listed. I would like to know the fate of the ship I was on so if anyone knows, (Ruud perhaps, who seems to be the fount of all knowledge on these things) please let me know.
Mike

tom hanley
3rd January 2007, 23:35
Hi Mike, Sorry but I made a typo on the dates. Wishfull thinking!! Dates should have been 1973 1974. The mates name was greame queedon. Not sure on the spelling of that. Some of the best sea time ever on her, round the world 1.5 times and paid off in East Africa. I remember the 3rd mates first name was martin.
Regards,
Tom

mwebster56
7th January 2007, 20:40
Tom
You must have sailed on her in between my two trips on the Nairnbank. Did you join the ship in Mombasa at the start of that trip. Because we paid off there at the end of 73. The crew that took over from us had a 2/E called Fred who I sailed with on the Nairnbank on my second trip on her in 1976. He had lived in Vienna for a while and his kids were born there, he was having trouble getting them registered as British when I was with him. I didnt know any of the others of the crew that took over from us.
Mike

tom hanley
7th January 2007, 23:28
Hi Mike,
I joined Nairnbank in Calcutta and paid off about a year later in Mombasa. The skippers name was W.W. Davies, 3rd eng. was Nigel Reid (Irish from Belfast) Can't remember the chief eng. name he was a very disliked person by all, so that's probably why! Apart from him, it was probably the best deap sea trip I ever made. The old adage of "work hard play hard" certainly applied on that ship. My memory is not so good, needs a bit of jogging now and then, so can't remember any more names. Perhaps if you do you could let me know?
Cheers,
Tom.

R58484956
8th January 2007, 09:41
Mike a belated welcome to the site, enjoy it like we do.

mwebster56
8th January 2007, 13:15
Hi Tom
You go on about wishful thinking and typos but I think I have the same problem myself. After checking my discharge book I find that during 1973 and the first part of 74 I was sailing with Shaw Savill line, not on the Nairnbank. I joined the Nairnbank in Jarrow at the end of March 1974 and paid off in Mombasa 9 months later in Jan 1975. (my info about the timing of my Nairnbank second trip was correct.) We did have a guy on board who had sailed on her the previous trip , he was called Brian Francis and he was the first leckie. Also, when I joined her the 2/E was called Mike (mad) Murray but he left the ship after we left Jarrow dry dock and started loading in Europe for New Guinea. Do you know either of these guys? Did you do any further trips with Bank Line after you left the Nairnbank? I sailed on the Shirrabank, the Sprucebank and finally the Nairnbank again before I hung up my shifter in 1977. great times that I am very nostalgic about.
Mike

tom hanley
11th January 2007, 00:57
Hi Mike,
Yes I sailed on the Willowbank and left her at Newcastle NSW.
Made my way to Sydney where I stayed with an old friend for a few years. Met my present wife there, moved to NZ and spent the next 30years over there. Now living on the Gold Coast QLD. and enjoying the memories,
Regards,
Tom.

g.p.hughes
1st October 2007, 10:08
Tom
Was the Nairnbank still around in 1993? or was it a newer model than the one I was on ? which was built in 1966.
I left that ship in December 1976 in Newport after an 8 month tour of the world and I looked in the shipping register in the early 80's and the Nairnbank was not listed. I would like to know the fate of the ship I was on so if anyone knows, (Ruud perhaps, who seems to be the fount of all knowledge on these things) please let me know.
Mike

Hi Mike,Pretty sure 'Nairnbank" sold in Singapore early eighties.Prior called Sydney to remove degausing.Had a great couple of weeks with the Master,Bill McDonald,nearly killed both of us..Also great drama over the missing ship's bell..!Eventually turned up,can't imagine how...Regards...Greg Hughes

Xairpert
18th March 2009, 15:06
The chap on the right is the RO Fred Curran

mwebster56
18th March 2009, 17:34
The chap on the right is the RO Fred Curran

Steve

I don't remember Fred Curran but I do remember you. You were a j/E like myself along with Yorkie, a guy called Graham, and Jim Massey, The third (for one trip at least was Mick North. The Ist leckie was a bloke who was obsessed with playing chess, can't remember his name. You must remember the Chief, Bill Muir and Ralph the fridge engineer.

I am not on any of the pictures, I left before these were taken.
Cheers
Mike

David Williams
18th March 2009, 17:57
Hi Mike.
I was going to drop you a line
to welcome you aboard.Then I saw that
you had been out there for about four
years,without a "peep" from you????

Dave Williams(R583900)

mwebster56
21st March 2009, 21:06
Hi Mike.
I was going to drop you a line
to welcome you aboard.Then I saw that
you had been out there for about four
years,without a "peep" from you????

Dave Williams(R583900)

Hi Dave
I have been 'out there' as you put it for 4 yrs but I have put up a few posts and corresponded with some old shipmates. Most of my posts have been in relation to Bank Line as I worked for them a lot longer than SS&A.
Mike

loyalhelper
22nd March 2009, 09:04
Mike,
Nairnbank was sold in 1981 and was renamed Gulf Hawk, Gulf East Ship Management Ltd Hong Kong Br flag. She was sold to Indian breakers and arrived Alang 02/05/86.
Brian

mwebster56
22nd March 2009, 15:02
Hi Brian
Thanks very much for this. I have been trying to find this out since I joined SN without any real success. I was on the Nairnbank for almost 1.5 years in total and they were great times, so I have more affinity for her than for any of the other ships I sailed on. A couple, notably the Sprucebank, ( see some of my earlier posts!) I couldnt wait to see the back of.
Mike