Great Storm in year 1901

rubyrose
22nd March 2010, 13:51
I probably won't be a regular contributor but I chanced upon this site while researching my family history and one message caught my attention. Masterfrith 27/10/09 was researching the vessels that his uncle had served on in 1903 and seeking information. My story is as follows. My Grandfather who died at the age of 89 (when I was 12) was a trawler skipper. Prior to becoming a skipper he was working on a fishing smack (year 1901 I believe) called the Butterfly. There was a very bad storm and the skipper and mate were washed off the ship and drowned. There is an account of this by a young lad called William Morris saying that he has no real idea how he and the other crew members survived - (see website http:www.hull.ac.uk/mhsc/FarHorizons/Documents/WilliamOliver.pdf). Well I know how they survived. My Grandfather, Robert Parrott, was also washed off the ship but luckily for him he was washed back on deck again and he somehow managed to sail this vessel back into port. After the event there was a write-up of this story in the Hull Daily Mail which said that they didn't know how my Grandfather had managed to get back. (My Uncle gave my brother a cutting from the newspaper at the time but sadly my brother has died and I don't have a copy of this.) My Grandfather went on to become a skipper and led a full and interesting life, travelling up the Amazon river and even living with the Sioux indians for a while!

non descript
22nd March 2010, 14:13
RR, a warm welcome to you. Thank you for joining the community and thank you for your first and most interesting posting. Do enjoy the site and all it has to offer, and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage.

K urgess
22nd March 2010, 14:30
Welcome aboard from East Yorkshire.
Find your way around and get to know the crew.
Have a good voyage.

bert thompson
22nd March 2010, 18:22
Welcome What an interesting sad introduction. Hope you will enjoy all that this great site provides
Best wishes
Bert.

R58484956
22nd March 2010, 19:49
Greetings RR and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

benjidog
22nd March 2010, 20:27
Welcome from Lancashire - I hope you will enjoy the site.

Sister Eleff
22nd March 2010, 21:55
Welcome from Sydney RR. Your grandfather sounds a very interesting character. I do hope someone in the family managed to write his life's story down before he passed away.

billyboy
22nd March 2010, 22:59
Welcome aboard from the Philippines. Enjoy all this great site has to offer

gdynia
22nd March 2010, 23:14
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

rubyrose
1st April 2010, 19:51
Welcome from Sydney RR. Your grandfather sounds a very interesting character. I do hope someone in the family managed to write his life's story down before he passed away.

He would definitely have been interested in you, Sister Eleff! He was in hospital for 10 years after a stroke but (in his 80's remember) when the nurses walked past him he used to whack their bottoms with his walking stick and then cackle! (He would have laughed at today's politically correct nonsense). Before he was hospitalised (when I was four years old) he used to give me some very funny orange juice - tasted as if it had gin in it and I bet it did too! There is another sad part to this story. When I was in a hospital lift in the 60's some young nurses mentioned his name and said how sad it was that he was a bit 'gaga' and had filled in a log book by his bed every day because he was a fantasist who pretended he had been a trawler skipper!!! As you can imagine I gave them a right ear-bashing and put them straight. How frustrated he must have felt at being patronised in this way, especially as he fought in both World War 1 and World War 2.

Sister Eleff
1st April 2010, 22:25
How fortunate you were, to be in that lift. Those nurses deserved that 'ear bashing' and I sincerely hope they learned the lesson. I have worked with old people and loved to get them to tell their stories. As for the whack across the bottom with a walking stick, one soon learned to avoid those. There was generally no evil intent behind it and treated with fun - as long as it wasn't too hard!

rubyrose
10th April 2010, 20:22
It's funny how memories suddenly resurface. I was talking to my sister last week and she said that during the war part of my Grandfather's job was to take white uniforms to Norway. His minesweeper also chased a German boat and apparently he got a mention in Dispatches because of this. Sis also said that he had a ship's mast in the garden of his home in Hull. We still have his old fishing trunk which is made of black leather with handles at the side and two strong straps and buckles and a rounded top and is lined inside with red silk. I would have loved to have had his sextant but unfortunately my uncle gave it to Trinity House and apparently it was just chucked into a cupboard along with a load of others.