G'Day

Tred Softly
16th May 2010, 06:10
Just joined and am here for nostalgic reasons. My interest is the Royal Navy where I served from 1955 to 1969 - Aldington, Ashanti, Starling, Undaunted and Victorious . I am looking to make contact with old shipmates with the hope that their memories are better than mine. I am particularly interested in the collision which occured between HMS Aldington and HMS Essington in the Straits of Messina in May of 1957. This was during a line abreast sweep where the four vessles were to "Turn to port in line abreast". On the order "Execute" three minesweepers turned to port but the Aldington turned to starboard with devistating consequence.

bert thompson
16th May 2010, 07:56
Welcome to this great site
Best wishes
Bert.

R58484956
16th May 2010, 10:42
Greetings Tred and welcome to SN. No doubt a court marshall followed. Bon voyage.

billyboy
16th May 2010, 11:43
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

fred henderson
17th May 2010, 12:44
A warm welcome to SN. I hope that you will fully enjoy the benefits of your membership by joining in the discussions on any topic that you find to be of interest to you.

Gulpers
17th May 2010, 20:45
TS,

A warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey, I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
You will certainly spark many happy memories when you have a chance to explore our threads and, who knows, you may even re-establish contact with old shipmates.
Good luck! (Thumb)

Chris Isaac
17th May 2010, 22:22
OOOO goody an Australian!
You are very welcome!

How did you get on in the cricket yesterday?(Jester)(K)(Jester)