Saying Hello & Ahoy...

Patalavaca
22nd November 2005, 22:51
I seem to have got off to a bad start with just posting photos but have tried to get to grips with this "thread" thing..it's all new to me & I fear I am not posting this in the correct place. I am struggling to get my Rioja addled brain around the site !

Having said that, I offer a big " Hello " & buenas dias to all.

I have salt water where blood should be ( It runs in the family ) and have a
" slight" addiction to all merchant vessels. For the last few years, since retiring, I have been photographing ships and marine working environments around the World.

I served my time on BP, Silver Line & mostly, Shell Tankers.
I now do a bit of work for the Port of Felixstowe Seafarers Centre & Missions to Seafarers.

My interests cover all the above plus ALL shipping ( except the grey funnel line !) & especially damage / repair/ drydocking & so on.

Despite being lost in this site, from what I have seen it is the best site on the web for like minded Salts.

I have dropped me hook here (plus sounding rod, heliograph & other accoutrements ) .
Long may it last.

Patalavaca.
(Gleam)

Gulpers
22nd November 2005, 23:06
Patalavaca,

Welcome to the threads. Sorry you got such a rough ride with the photographs you posted when you joined. Hope that's all been sorted out now and a few apologies have been received. (Thumb)

fred henderson
22nd November 2005, 23:38
A formal, welcome plus warm encouragement to express your views and opinions in the threads and to post your photos in the galleries. We are glad to have you on board.

Fred

Patalavaca
22nd November 2005, 23:49
Thanks indeed for the reply & you have no idea how I chuckled when I saw
" Gulpers" ! I haven't heard that phrase since I paid off my last trip . I had totally forgotten about it ! Shell always issued the weekly tot of rum on Sundays ( or during / after tankcleaning) & we always believed that Queen Juliana of the Netherlands paid for it...as recompense ( thanks ?) for the effort Blighty put into helping her Country during the Second World War...or was it another myth ?

I will stuggle to get around the threads, it is somewhat bewildering. I guess I am showing my age .... I might even get around to programming my video player one day!!

Alas, no " apologies " received for the errr, I don't like to say "rough ride" ,I got with my first photos on the site ,but I am sure I will get over it !

Thanks again,

Patalavaca
(Gleam)

( there is a long story attached to the name , but suffice to say it involved a lot of alcohol &, loosley translated from Spanish means, " leg of the cow" !

ruud
23rd November 2005, 00:17
Ahoy Patalavaca,

Welcome aboard, enjoy yourself on this fine ship and her crew, as we do; looking forward to your postings.

Note: Confiar nosotros este historia del patalavaca(Read)queremos saber.(*))

Jan Hendrik
23rd November 2005, 00:21
Hi Patalavaca,
Since you mentioned the many photographs you have in your possession, then we are surely looking forward to your postings.
Welcome.
Jan

Doug Rogers
23rd November 2005, 01:50
Welcome Patalavaca, look forward to your postings, any problems then just ask the members.

flyer682
23rd November 2005, 05:03
Welcome aboard, Patalavaca. The site can seem daunting at first, but you'll soon get the hang of it. Enjoy it and all we have to offer.

Piero43
23rd November 2005, 09:51
Hello, Portalavaca,
and a big welcome from Italy!
Piero

R58484956
23rd November 2005, 13:24
Aho y Portalavaca to SN enjoy the site and all it has to offer.

tanker
23rd November 2005, 14:05
Another welcome from Italy my friend good navigation!!!
Gp

Gulpers
28th November 2005, 11:52
Patalavaca,

Well at least it's cow's leg and not the cow's *rse!
I didn't realise that Shell used the term "Gulpers". I thought it was an RN thing! I've only used "Gulpers" because it's my yacht's name - and, would you believe she had a tender called "Sippers"! (Thumb)

non descript
28th November 2005, 12:16
Patalavaca, welcome aboard the fine ship SN. You will find a happy, knowledgeable and friendly crew, and I wish you Bon Voyage and look forward to your postings

R58484956
28th November 2005, 13:21
A belated welcome Patalvaca to SN enjoy the site and all it has to offer.