Bank Line Apprentice

Stornoway
25th November 2005, 23:58
Served my apprenticeship in Bank Line in the early fifties. The longest trip I made was 15 months,however two of my friends served on the Inchanga and Isipingo on the India to East and South Africa and returned home just under
4 years later

I sailed on the Nairnbank 1925,Meadowbank 1945,Nessbank 1953,Forresbank
1926, and on the Myrtlebank 193? as uncertified third mate.

Stornoway.

Jan Hendrik
26th November 2005, 00:09
Welcome to the site Stornoway.
Hopefully you will also contribute with some postings.
Is this your surname or did you want to honour the famous old tea clipper ?
You find some info on this site about her.

Kenneth Morley
26th November 2005, 02:00
Hi all shipmates, I am looking for photos of the "Hazel Bank" I served on her as fireman ,not one of the best but OK. Food well enough said. Regars Kenneth

Doug Rogers
26th November 2005, 05:35
Welcome aboard Stornoway,enjoy the site and look forward to hearing your tales of Bank Line.

thunderd
26th November 2005, 06:31
Stornoway a warm welcome to the site, I'm sure that after all these years you will have a lot of stories to share and we look forward to hearing them.

non descript
26th November 2005, 07:55
Stornaway, welcome to a very good ship - you will find a very happy and extremely knowledgeable crew. We look forward to your postings

R58484956
26th November 2005, 11:05
Welcome Stornaway to SN, enjoy the site and all it has to offer

TripleX
26th November 2005, 21:16
Hi Stornaway. When I was at sea, the Bank Line was known for treating its apprentices like dirt. Most companies did, but the Bank Line had a particularly nasty reputation. Was it true? Come on, show us your scars!

ruud
1st December 2005, 11:45
Ahoy Stornaway

Welcome aboard, enjoy yourself on this fine ship and her crew, as we do; looking forward to your postings.

Stornoway
11th February 2006, 00:40
Apologies for the delay in replying to your welcomes for which I thank you.

For Jan Hendrick,Stornoway is the name of the town on the Island of Lewis,
in the Outer Hebrides where my wife is from.Coincidently the clipper
"Stornoway" was built for Jardine Matheson in 1850,and James Matheson
of that Company purchased the Island of Lewis in 1844.

For Triplex,To my knowledge the treatment of apprentices in Bank Line was no worse than many other similar type companies.Bank Line ships were not cargo liners although many of them sailed on regular routes and not tramping.
I do acknowlege that although we carried large Indian crews the dirtiest jobs
always seemed to fall to the apprentices.e.g.bilge diving after discharging copra or grain,cleaning deep tanks after discharging coconut oill,painting tween decks
and holds and on and on.However I do believe we received a good grounding
in seamanship although limited in bridge work.and a lot depended on who
happened to be The Mate.
I have no regrets that I served my apprenticeship with Bank Line and would do it again in a minute.
I note that Bank Line is one of the few British companies still operating
so they must have been doing something right.

lakercapt
11th February 2006, 14:40
Welcome Stornaway.
Glad to see another Maple Leaf flying.
Rememeber the Town well as had to use it as a port of refuge one time as our McGregor hatches were leaking and the dry paper pulp was expanding. Not a good scene as we had to cut the holding down bolts off to get them opened and repair the rubber seals. (*))

johnmilne
27th February 2006, 02:18
Mate, You have been there I was an apprentice with Bank Line in the mid sixties. My longest trip 20 months. Always told that you had to have done a certain dirty job before you asked someone to do it.It was a good learning curve.Bridge work non existent.
Cheers John Milne

R58484956
27th February 2006, 12:16
Welcome john milne to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

Hamish Mackintosh
27th February 2006, 16:28
Welcome Stornoway,Great little town, picked op a load of salt herring there,for Hamburg in the Early fifties while on the" Holdernidd" .Spent two years on the "Ivybank"(ex Sam Yorke)running phosphate from Narua and Ocean Island,south to Ozz and New Zealand,and altho not an apprentice, never saw them do anthing the deck crew didn't do .in fact we had so many "jumpers" that more often than not the young guys were on watches with the rest of us, regards Hamish

dnobmal
28th February 2006, 14:52
Did you ever come across Bob Mckillop he was an apprentice with Bank line

johnmilne
3rd March 2006, 04:39
Did you ever come across Bob Mckillop he was an apprentice with Bank line

Sorry for time taken to reply, I have just woken up to the fact that the question was addressed to me. As yet I have had no contact with my fellow apprentices. Bob Mckillop was not one.
Cheers,
John Milne

johnmilne
6th March 2006, 03:43
Mate, You have been there I was an apprentice with Bank Line in the mid sixties. My longest trip 20 months. Always told that you had to have done a certain dirty job before you asked someone to do it.It was a good learning curve.Bridge work non existent.
Cheers John Milne
This site is addictive every where one looks some thing else interesting pops up.
For those who have sailed with Bank Line Do you remember or have indeed heard it?
Blue for the sea we sail on.
Red for the blood we sweat.
And the white line of starvation.
Too make us all forget.
The joys of past and present, the sorrows yet to come.
You think you are a Merchant Seaman!
You are just a Bank Line Bum! (Thumb)

macjack
6th March 2006, 20:48
suggest you try Chris Dare's blog you will find it very intereting
http://dareatsea.blogspot.com/ give it a whirl.
Regards,
Mac.

skymaster
7th March 2006, 14:23
Welcome Stornoway enjoy this great site.Visited aboard a few Bank line ships whilst in MN.The Canada contingent is getting bigger I guess most of us are ex Brits.

Mike

georgemacleod
28th October 2008, 10:25
Sailed with cadet O.P.Marsh(Ossie) in Meadowbank on the coast 1975.Last saw him when he visited my home town of Stornoway New Years 1976.Would anyone know of his whereabouts?

bert thompson
28th October 2008, 11:45
Welcome Stornoway to this great site
Sailed on many Bank boats but only on acceptance trials
Best wishes
Bert.

Alistair Macnab
6th November 2008, 16:02
Bank Line Apprentices:

I was one from 1953 to 1957. I had one home leave in 1955 on the weekend that the first Lord Inverforth died. It was said that he couldn't get over the cost of flying the officers from Port Sudan to Southend on a Manx Airlines charter. We all had collected so much clobber over the two years that the pilot was worried about our take-off weight as a result, the Dakota had to stop at Luxor, Benghazi, Luqa (Malta) and Marseilles to refuel!
Second trip had me tranferring to a Bank boat on the Oriental African Line where two years came and went.

All-in-all, I was away for one month over four years with one leave approximately half-way! Was repatriated on the "Edinburgh Castle" from Durban.
But this is not a message of complaint. I wear my Bank Line apprenticeship as a badge of honour. I would never have circumnavigated the earth at 17 nor encoutered the Hooghly bore tides nor visited my cousin who was a rubber planter in Johore in Malaya during the Emergency.

Incindentally, my second mate's ticket in Glasgow was a bobby's number after all that experience. The examiner said, "Well, we needn't ask you about deeptanks or laying out anchor cables for moorings". He remarked that a Bank Line apprentice was always well-schooled in seamanship if a slight rusty in Rules of the Road!
Happy Days!

Alistair Macnab
Houston TX.

millsee
6th November 2008, 17:29
I spent many a night on the Isipingo during 1950/51, as my father was the 1st Mate (Leslie Mills) and we as a family emigrated to Durban to spend time with my Father. He joined Bankline in 1932 sailing from the tyne (we lived in South Shields) as an AB and retired in 1972 as Master sailing in to the Tyne for the first time since '32. In 1964 I Joined the Crestbank as a Jn Eng on the Copra run.

Lefty
9th November 2008, 01:45
Welcome Stornaway from yet another old Bank Line refugee! 1959-1964 BFN Howard

jimthehat
9th February 2009, 13:29
Hi Stornaway. When I was at sea, the Bank Line was known for treating its apprentices like dirt. Most companies did, but the Bank Line had a particularly nasty reputation. Was it true? Come on, show us your scars!
nope,B/L apps had a great time .my first ship was maplebank,the mate was not a company man ,so he passed the four of us on to the bosun,we were worked hard ,but learned a lot.18month trip and enjoyed every minute of it.
pelorus

reg1996
13th February 2009, 08:49
Hi there. I sailed with Bankline quite sometime after you fellows by the sounds of it. I'm sure you'll think us youngsters have it easy. (Which i'm sure we do compared to 'the good old days').
I am however very proud to have served my time on the Bank boats 1996-2001.
We had a British Master,Chief Engineer and Purser and the rest of the Officers and crew were Russian.
I would say that compared to the rest of the cadets I trained with in South Shields we had it tough whilst at sea!
We were not allowed to speak to the Capt for the first 8 weeks. The Russian crew took us under their wing and we grafted alonside them. We seemed to spend most of our days cleaning deep tanks and sweeping copra holds.
We would go through several pairs of boiler suits in a trip were as our friends with P&O, Maersk, RFA etc etc would keep the same 2 or 3 boiler suits throughout their cadet ship.
It was a time and experience I will never forget and always be thankful for....

BASHER
23rd February 2009, 14:56

I was apprentice with bank Line and think that treating like dirt was an understatement. 1956/1961 Dart,Fir,South,Willow, BASHER(Cloud)