Hello from Australia

Matt Pash
26th February 2011, 14:39
Hello, I have just joined to track down photos of ships I have served on. Been at sea since 1982, currently serving as Chief Engineer on tankers for one of the oil majors. This site seems a great place to track down info. My father was also at sea but on the other side of the fence. He retired as Master in 1990 and was at sea since 1947. Appreciate any info from anyone who has any experience with cracked cylinder heads on Sulzer RTA 52U engines. We have done three in the last month, none of the cracks in the same place. Cheers

R58484956
26th February 2011, 15:07
Greetings Matt and a warm welcome to SN from the south coast of England.
You should have sailed on a turbine ship, lot easier going. Bon voyage.

Billieboy
26th February 2011, 19:31
Welcome aboard Matt, from the flat bit of Europe.

Haven't had experience with cracked heads, but plenty with cracked cylinder head studs,(two off ten cylinder RTA), and one cracked crank web, (an eight cylinder RTA), but all of these were more than 18 years ago when the RTA was quite new.

billyboy
26th February 2011, 23:18
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

trotterdotpom
26th February 2011, 23:59
Hello, I have just joined to track down photos of ships I have served on. Been at sea since 1982, currently serving as Chief Engineer on tankers for one of the oil majors. This site seems a great place to track down info. My father was also at sea but on the other side of the fence. He retired as Master in 1990 and was at sea since 1947. Appreciate any info from anyone who has any experience with cracked cylinder heads on Sulzer RTA 52U engines. We have done three in the last month, none of the cracks in the same place. Cheers

Welcome to SN, Matt. New your father quite well and I know I met you once or twice in your cadet days, not sure if I sailed with you though - did you do any Gladstone-Weipa runs?

John T.