ELMY - 'dido'

martynelmy
2nd March 2011, 02:58
Hi my father b1904 Esmond Ernest Elmy was on the Girl Pamela wooden drifter being used as a minesweeper which was sunk by a RN destroyer off Dunkirk.

His nickname was DIDO and it is rumoured that his father may also have been called DIDO.

We are unable to trace if this comes from someone in the family being on a HMS Dido or perhaps a fishing smack / drifter / trawler.

Any help welcome

PS - also a pic of the Girl Pamela would be nice

Thanks in advance

Martyn

billyboy
2nd March 2011, 03:55
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

Gulpers
2nd March 2011, 06:02
Martyn,

On behalf of the SN Moderating Team, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

martynelmy
2nd March 2011, 10:08
Cheers!

Martyn,

On behalf of the SN Moderating Team, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

captain61
2nd March 2011, 10:18
Welcome aboard this great site. Good luck in you search

Stephen

R58484956
2nd March 2011, 18:07
Greetings Martyn and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

E.Martin
3rd March 2011, 16:57
Hi my father b1904 Esmond Ernest Elmy was on the Girl Pamela wooden drifter being used as a minesweeper which was sunk by a RN destroyer off Dunkirk.

His nickname was DIDO and it is rumoured that his father may also have been called DIDO.

We are unable to trace if this comes from someone in the family being on a HMS Dido or perhaps a fishing smack / drifter / trawler.

Any help welcome

PS - also a pic of the Girl Pamela would be
Thanks in advance

Martyn

Let me know your email address I have just been sent a photo of
Girl Pamela leaving Lowestoft, I will forward it on to you.