immigrant ships of the 19th Century

sonya
3rd March 2011, 12:47
Hi to the Forum members, I joined Ships Nostalgia a year or so ago, but at the time I had nothing to Post - I have now!

My interest concerns immigrant ships, ship's logs and diaries etc., particularly those of the Packet the 'Ben Nevis' which carried my first Gen Australian Parents. Sarah Wright of Northern Ireland and Charles Lawson (crew) of Denmark. Sailing from Liverpool UK to Sydney Australia 1856. Last year I discovered an image of the ship, a wood carving by an unknown artist. It was housed in the Australian National Archives see attached copyrighted image - if it will upload or might be too large. Will try again later on.

My other news is pretty exciting as well. In 1836 9 ships left the UK Bound for South Australia. A digital re-enactment of the voyages can be found here - [URL="http://boundforsouthaustralia.net.au"]

such a tremendous undertaking. We are all very proud of the Team from History SA.
Cheers sonya

tom roberts
3rd March 2011, 14:09
Hi Sonja You may be interested in a book The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes,published 1986,it gives a fantastic account of the history of transportation of convicts and the horrors they endured.

R58484956
3rd March 2011, 14:42
Greetings Sonya and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

hawkey01
3rd March 2011, 15:40
Sonya,

welcome to SN. Enjoy all we have to offer.

Hawkey01

Klaatu83
3rd March 2011, 15:41
An interesting volume on this subject, if you can find it, is called "Across the North Atlantic", published in 1973 by Sawtells and Somerset, of Lincoln, Massachusetts. Compiled by Clement C. Sawtell, the book consists of first-hand accounts of passages across the Atlantic in sailing packet-ships, between 1820 and 1850, written by Ralph Waldo Emerson, James Fenimore Cooper (former naval officer and author of Last of the Mohicans and other novels), the poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and numerous others.

robingail
3rd March 2011, 19:45
Hi Sonja.
Go to gallery&type in "carick" some images there of a past immigrant ship which
took a lot of settlers to South Aus. Kind Regards. Robingail.

robingail
3rd March 2011, 19:55
Hi Sonja.
My mistake you need an extra "R" in carick or try "City Of Adelaide" Regards R&G.

billyboy
4th March 2011, 01:20
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

captain61
4th March 2011, 10:14
Welcome aboard this great site

Stephen