Origin of ex MOD Nelson 34

Scottmarine
12th March 2011, 16:45
Hi - First time I've ever used a forum so hope this is the right way to do things...... We have bought and Ex Mod Nelson 34 (circa 1978) which we understand was referred to as 'Fast Motor Launch No. 5781'. Sold by MOD in 1989 to someone in Portpatrick. Has anyone any advice as to tracing which Navy ship she was attached to. She has bracketing on either side which suggest she may have been hung from Davits. Cheers, Nick.

Billieboy
12th March 2011, 20:31
Hi - First time I've ever used a forum so hope this is the right way to do things...... We have bought and Ex Mod Nelson 34 (circa 1978) which we understand was referred to as 'Fast Motor Launch No. 5781'. Sold by MOD in 1989 to someone in Portpatrick. Has anyone any advice as to tracing which Navy ship she was attached to. She has bracketing on either side which suggest she may have been hung from Davits. Cheers, Nick.

Welcome aboard Nick, did you note any numbers on the transom, bow, or carved into the stern? these will all assist people to trace it for you.

Meanwhile, have a look around and enjoy the trip.

Scottmarine
12th March 2011, 20:50
Hi Billieboy,
Thanks for quick reply (I am a total forum novice). My info that it was MOD 'Fast Motor Launch (5781)' comes from the sale certificate issued by the MOD. But what is interesting to us is that the MOD clerk seems to have tried to obliterate the number '5781' with a black felt tip pen. However, holding up the certificate against a lit window allowed the original typing to show through. I wondered whether there is a database somewhere which would provide any data on '5781'. Cheers, Nick.

billyboy
12th March 2011, 22:34
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has top offer

hawkey01
13th March 2011, 11:13
Nick,

on behalf of the Moderating team welcome to SN.

Hawkey01

R58484956
13th March 2011, 15:15
Greetings Nick and welcome to SN.Bon voyage.