Dredging for 30 years

smartcar
18th April 2011, 12:58
Hello one and all,

Started my sea going career messing about on various sailing barges, Centaur and Dawn, come to mind. Also did some trips on the odd steam tugs, s.t. Brent, s.t. Chriane, s.t. TID 172, s.t. TID 164, s.t. Cervia and s.t. Challenge, not professionally.

Joined South Coast Shipping in 1975 as DHU on board Sand Serin. Stayed with dredging for the next 30 years before retiring in 2005. During that time South Coast Shipping became RMC Marine and eventually CEMEX just before I left. I served on most of the company vessels at one time or another in various capacities, if I can remember :-)
Sand Serin (DHU and 2nd Mate)
Sand Skua (2nd Mate)
Sand Swift (2nd Mate and Mate)
Sand Lark (2nd Mate and one trip as Master)
Sand Wader (2nd Mate, Mate and one trip as Master)
Sand Weaver (2nd Mate, Mate, Master)
Sand Heron (Mate, and extra Master for contract work)
Sand Harrier (Mate, Master)
Sand Kite - ex Bowknight (Master)
Sand Kestrel - ex Bowherald (Master)
Bow Prince (trainee Master)
Bow Trader (Master)
Welsh Piper (Master)

Currently working full-time as D&T Technician at the local secondary school. Would be great to hear from any old my old shipmates.

Kind regards
Peter Little

Frank P
18th April 2011, 13:40
Welcome onboard Peter, enjoy the site.

Cheers Frank

billyboy
18th April 2011, 23:52
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

I sailed on the Sand Martin and sand Star in the early 60's. You must have sailed with John Campbel at some time then mate.

smartcar
19th April 2011, 00:01
I sailed on the Sand Martin and sand Star in the early 60's. You must have sailed with John Campbel at some time then mate.

I sailed with John on both the Sand Swift and the Sand Wader - quite a character with his scissors to trim the roll-up cigarettes and forever concerned about the football pools :-)

He could however always find the stones somehow and would bring in clean cargoes from the Shipwash when all the rest were bringing in clay-balls :-)

Peter

billyboy
19th April 2011, 01:04
Ha ha ha thats John!. he could always find the "good spot" off the needles too without the advantage of radar.... In thick fog.

hawkey01
19th April 2011, 16:00
Peter,

on behalf of the Moderating team welcome to SN. I see you have already had a response to your post. Enjoy all we have to offer.

Hawkey01

Tony Shaw
19th April 2011, 18:09
Welcome to Ships Nostalgia Peter. You'll find it very interesting and a good debating forum.
Tony

R58484956
20th April 2011, 20:29
Greetings Peter and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

James_C
21st April 2011, 13:20
Peter,
A warm welcome to Ships Nostalgia where I hope you'll find much of interest!
Enjoy the voyage!

gdynia
22nd April 2011, 08:29
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage