hello, and seeking information

Darkie Brown
22nd April 2011, 12:50
Hi I am a new member.I am not nor was ever a seaman.My father was a Kru seaman who sailed on the Palm line and the Manchester liners as well as the Elder Dempster.I am seeking information from those who may have worked with the Kru seaman.My dad sailed out of Liverpool aad my log in name was his nick name .He sailed between the 1930s and the 1970s .Any contact or iformation would be gratefully received.

hawkey01
22nd April 2011, 13:05
D B,

On behalf of the Moderating team welcome to SN. I wish you well with your research. We have many ex Palm Line and ED members so hopefully they will give you information.

Hawkey01

Trader
22nd April 2011, 16:36
Hi Darkie,

I sailed on the "Manchester Progress" for a few trips in 1956 with Shago Brown, he was called that because his favourite expression was "shago der la" in a scouse accent. He was a fireman or greaser, a nice fellow.

I also sailed in 1959 on the "Uskmouth" out of Manchester with another Kru seaman, Charlie Brown, who also worked in the engine room. A lovely old man, quiet spoken who always smoked a pipe. I think that Charlie lived in Manchester.

All the best , Alec.

Darkie Brown
22nd April 2011, 21:08
Hi Darkie,

I sailed on the "Manchester Progress" for a few trips in 1956 with Shago Brown, he was called that because his favourite expression was "shago der la" in a scouse accent. He was a fireman or greaser, a nice fellow.

I also sailed in 1959 on the "Uskmouth" out of Manchester with another Kru seaman, Charlie Brown, who also worked in the engine room. A lovely old man, quiet spoken who always smoked a pipe. I think that Charlie lived in Manchester.

All the best , Alec.

thank you for your reply Alec.My dad did sail on the Manchester Progress ,although I am not sure of the years.I will dig out the discharge books I have to see if they include the Pr ogress and then come back to you.

billyboy
22nd April 2011, 23:50
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

Darkie Brown
15th June 2011, 13:52
thank you for your reply Alec.My dad did sail on the Manchester Progress ,although I am not sure of the years.I will dig out the discharge books I have to see if they include the Pr ogress and then come back to you.

Hi Alex,I have checked my dads discharge book for this period.My dad was not on the Progress during your time,he was with John Holt.
He was on the Progress fromJune 61 until Oct 62.Thank you once again for your response.
Darkie Brown

gdynia
15th June 2011, 16:14
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the voyage

eldersuk
16th June 2011, 00:06
I sailed with Kru (or Kroo) seamen in ED's. Apart from those on deck we had four men assigned to the engine room. On the Tarkwa the headman of the ER crowd was, as I recall, called Sango Brown. He was a quiet unassuming character who, when the ship was in Port Harcourt, always asked two favours of the 3/Eng.
1. Could he fix his alarm clock?
2. Could he 'borrow' a shilling to go to the cinema?
Every voyage just the two requests.

Derek

Darkie Brown
16th June 2011, 08:56
Hi Derek ,
Thank you for your reply.
I wonder if there was a logic to that request.If the chief couldnt fix the clock he had a ready made excuse for being late,he had told the chief is clock was broken.
I recall when an apprentice in an engineering factory one of the lads was always late.when challenged by the foreman he told him is alarm clock was broken.The next day the foreman brought in an alarm clock and gave it to him.He said now you have no excuse to be late.
I think Sango was being pretty clever.
Darkie Brown