Sir Henry Cooper - Merged Threads

cueball44
1st May 2011, 22:33
Rest in peace Sir Henry Cooper. A gentleman and highly rated heavy weight boxer. 'cueball44'

John Dryden
1st May 2011, 22:37
One of the boxing greats, passed away today,great memories of his fights on the telly when I was young.

nick olass
1st May 2011, 22:42
Sir Henry Cooper, one of Britain's finest boxers passed away today.
He was much loved and respected by those inside boxing, and equally by those unconnected to the sport.
I always believed that he would have beaten Cassius Clay if it had not been for the handicap of cutting too easily.
Henry Cooper, RIP big man.

billyboy
1st May 2011, 23:18
RIP ENRY. Gone but will never be forgotten.

jaydeeare
1st May 2011, 23:41
He'll be up in Heaven 'splashin' it on all over.

A great man and sportsman of the 'old school'.

I feel he had Cassius Clay beaten, but the bell came in too early, if I remember rightly.

R.I.P Our 'enery.

Coastie
1st May 2011, 23:50
R.I.P. Sir Henry Cooper. The closest one to knock out Cassius Clay.

Satanic Mechanic
1st May 2011, 23:57
I see 'Whispering' Ted Lowe has also passed on

TonyAllen
2nd May 2011, 00:04
RIP Henry.It was't just the bell it was also the slashed glove that gave him the extra time to get over the punch tony

hughesy
2nd May 2011, 00:28
RIP Henry, certanly gave Cassius a run for his money I remember watching those fights was it Harry Carpenter the annoucer?

all the best
hughesy

degsy
2nd May 2011, 07:48
I remember '66' Everton and Sheffield Wendseday, Englands World Cup and the Cooper V Clay fight . A good year for sport. Shame sport has changed so much, more of a shame there are no more MEN of the same calibre as ENERY COOPER in sport. R.I.P.

rickles23
2nd May 2011, 08:22
Hi,
RIP Henry Cooper and 'Whispering' Ted Lowe.
I believe it was Ted Lowe that uttered those immortal words:
"For those of you watching in black and white, the pink is behind the green."
Regards

Tmac1720
2nd May 2011, 15:55
Our 'Enery... a true gentleman both in and out of the ring. I had the pleasure of meeting him once and he was kindness itself answering all my questions with tact and patience. Rest in Peace Sir Henry, it was an honour to have met you. (Thumb)

Don Matheson
2nd May 2011, 16:36
Sorry to hear of his passing, a great boxer in my eyes.

When he hit Clay and almost win the fight, Cassius said that when Henry hit him "It didnt just shake me, it shook my ancesters back in Africa."

Don

Dickyboy
2nd May 2011, 17:18
A great man, a great sportsman, and a credit to Britain. RIP Henry.