Hello retirees and others.

Onozo
27th December 2005, 20:29
I've just joined Ships Nostalgia (*)) and looking forward to many hours on the keyboard, hopefully exchanging pleasant yarns with past shipmates/shoreside colleagues.
My working career was certainly one of variety, in as much that some employers I served with, seemed to go out of business for one thing or another.
I would like to get in touch with persons who served in the following companies at the same time as I: Blue Funnel 1957/61, Bowaters 1961/63, Smiths Dock Co/Swan Hunter Shiprepairers Tyne 1964/71, R.S.Dalgliesh 1971/78, Tradax Gestion 1979/88 and finally Teekay Shipping 1988/2003 from whom I retired.
Looking forward to many yarns.

Regards Onozo. (Retired M.N. Chief Engineer).

rstimaru
27th December 2005, 20:59
Welcolm to the greatest shiping site Onozo, I was,nt with your company,s but what the hell! we were all at sea

edward
27th December 2005, 21:06
welcome on board onozo i am sure you will have many hours of interest and will find ship mates and a( knowlegable) crew even if they cannot spell,all the best. edward.

thunderd
27th December 2005, 23:40
A warm welcome onozo, this is the best place to be if you can no longer go to sea, I hope you enjoy the site.

I have removed your email address from your post to save you from getting unsolicited spam mail.

flyer682
27th December 2005, 23:43
Welcome aboard Onozo. I'm sure you'll find plenty here to keep you occupied for hours.
I've tidied up your post a bit and removed your email address, but I'm sure you'll soon the hang of posting on here.

jim barnes
28th December 2005, 00:19
wellcum ONOZO greet siit efen iff wee aal cant speel 2 well. (spell check)
Welcome aboard? (Thumb)

non descript
28th December 2005, 00:43
Onozo, a warm welcome aboard the good ship SN, I hope you enjoy the fun and we look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage.

ps if my maths is right, I see you escaped from Smith's dock in time to avoid the CERINTHUS

Razor
28th December 2005, 01:05
Hi Onozo,
Welcome aboard.
Was on the Ravensworth for a few months back mid 75. Cant remember any names I'm afraid. Think we were running Narvik to Ming Ming if the memory serves me right.

Doug Rogers
28th December 2005, 01:40
Welcome Onozo, enjoy the site and look forward to your input.

Jan Hendrik
28th December 2005, 02:21
Welcome to the best maritime site on the net Onozo.

I am a bit puzzled with the "heading" of your thread, attention all retirees and others, can you tell me what is your definition of a "retiree"?.
I just had a nice Christmas and I want to keep feeling "good", so a subtle explanation from you would give me a boost into 2006, as for the moment I do not know which category suits me here.........lol

looking forward to your postings.
Jan

R58484956
28th December 2005, 13:43
WElcome onozo to one of the best maritime sites, enjoy all it has to offer and a happy new year to you.

tom nicholson
28th December 2005, 18:47
Hi ONOZO
nice to see you joining S N it is a great site enjoy it like we all do good luck for the future cheers TOM.

Onozo
28th December 2005, 21:09
Welcome to the best maritime site on the net Onozo.

I am a bit puzzled with the "heading" of your thread, attention all retirees and others, can you tell me what is your definition of a "retiree"?.
I just had a nice Christmas and I want to keep feeling "good", so a subtle explanation from you would give me a boost into 2006, as for the moment I do not know which category suits me here.........lol

looking forward to your postings.
Jan

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Jan

As this is my first posting, I am unsure of message setup format, please excuse any mistake I may make.

Firstly, I appreciated all welcoming messages I received from membership over the past couple of days - I hereby thank everyone.

In reply to your link, let me define meaning of "retiree" in "hello" message.

As a young 69 year old, it was my intention to direct "hello" message to mainly retired seafarers, as I do not think many who are still working will remember me.

I was one of the thousands of UK seafarers who had no other option in the late 1970's, but to say goodbye to the red ensign, and venture out into the unknown to find suitable continued employment.
My 23-years sailing with non UK shipowners, under foreign flags turned out to be pleasant, gave job satisfaction, professionalism was respected and I had the pleasure of sailing on many quality vessels.
I must of been content, as I retired on my 67th birthday.

I hope Jan, my explaination of "retiree" in this instance is to your liking - are you retired!

Best regards and a Happy New Year to all. Onozo.

Jan Hendrik
28th December 2005, 21:42
Hi Onozo,
Thanks a lot for your post and we all surely hope you will enjoy SN like all of us do.

No, I am not retired but stopped working.........a subtle difference of course.

Good luck
Jan

albertwebster
28th December 2005, 23:38
Welcome aboard Onozo.
I was an AB on the Gladys Bowater from October 1962 to Janauary 1963. Does that ring any bells.
Regards Albert Webster. (also retired, 68 years young).

ruud
29th December 2005, 13:54
Ahoy Onozo,
Welcome aboard, enjoy yourself on this fine ship and her crew, as we do; looking forward to your postings.
From Holland

tanker
29th December 2005, 14:32
Welcome aboard from Italy ,good navigation in this sea website!!!
Gp

Onozo
30th December 2005, 22:40
Welcome aboard Onozo.
I was an AB on the Gladys Bowater from October 1962 to Janauary 1963. Does that ring any bells.
Regards Albert Webster. (also retired, 68 years young).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Albert.

Thanks for your welcome aboard msg.

Re yr mention of serving aboard Gladys, I served on Alice and Phyllis as 2nd
engr. During that period I gained chief engr certificate, but did not sail as chief in Bowaters.

I enjoyed sailing with Bowaters, only one fault though, I was always financially skint, and have been ever since, as I met my good lady, when Alice was in drydock on the Tyne.
Both ships spent more time in port than at sea; this was in effect a Bobbies job for engineers, as maintenance/repairs were always up to date and engine rooms kept in immaculate condition.

In the last five years before retirement, the situation re shore leave was such that I could count the fingers on one hand, when I was able to step ashore for a few hours break.
Modern day vessels in general are hard run, and trying to keep up on maintenance schedules and repairs is always a real struggle, due to the short time duration port turn-rounds, and all statutory inspections required, especially on tankers and boxboats.

In retirement, I am not involved in the marine environment, but nevertheless like to keep apace with all the latest marine news.

Best regards, and a Happy New Year to you and yours. Onozo.

Kenneth Morley
2nd January 2006, 01:56
New Years greetings to all and I hope all goes well for you. I'm still looking for seamen working the Australian Coast, ALDINGA or AROONA firemen or greasers. Kenneth (Cloud) undefined

Derek Roger
2nd January 2006, 15:57
Welcome from Canada Onzo ; a pal of mine from Dundee Ian (Scotty ) Scott was an appentice / 3rd mate with Bowaters in the early 60s . Perhaps you sailed with him ? Derek

patrick mahoney
2nd January 2006, 19:37
welcome Onzo from waterford enjoy the site all the best for now..
regards
patrick .

Chouan
21st June 2007, 11:22
I was with Tradax from 1981 to '85, until management changes took place. I sailed on the Carisle/Avenger (changed its name half way through), Alpine Star, Geneve, Cheyenne and another one which nam,e I can't remember now, Car something though!

Bruce Carson
21st June 2007, 12:27
Wecome onboard, Onozo:
You've really had a nice response to your posting and that's why members find this forum addictive.
We'll be seeing some fine postings from you, I'm sure.

Best
Bruce C