"Hello there"

mountainmanUK
27th December 2005, 23:31
Hi!
I'm Dave Heald, from Blackburn, Lancs. I joined Ocean Fleets in 72 not long after leaving school, as Midshipman. Trained at Aulis/Riversdale. First trip was to West Africa on the MANO (ex-Menelaus). Later went Far east on GLENFALLOCH and ASCANIUS, before coming "shoreside" for a while, before moving up to Glasgow and joining Anchor Line (runcimans). Sailed on EUCADIA around the Red Sea and India/Pakistan, then joined the bulk carrier CALEDONIA to Venezuela and New Orleans/Baton Rouge. There were others in between, but I'm struggling to remember names etc!

I wonder if anyone out there remembers me?

Cheers

Dave Heald

non descript
27th December 2005, 23:40
Dave, a warm welcome aboard the good ship SN, I hope you enjoy the fun and we look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

terence
27th December 2005, 23:48
not from blackburn / tell

bobby388
27th December 2005, 23:55
welcome aboard dave,a cert someone will know you keep looking great site bobby(glasgow)

Doug Rogers
28th December 2005, 00:41
Welcome to the site Dave. Enjoy what it has to offer you.

firey
28th December 2005, 00:50
Welcome Dave,

I sailed on the Caledonia's maiden voyage as cadet out of Copenhagen and sailed again on her on her last voyage as 3rd mate handing her over to Mearsk line. I left anchor line after that as all their newer ships were being sold off. I'm not very good with names now so I can't remember if we sailed together I can't ever remember visiting Venezula on her. I also did a costal trip on the Eucadia. Sailed also on Exmoor ,Calabria, Hazelmoor and Egidia. Could check discharge book for dates later. Needles to say we will have a common bond with some names possibly Cpt Howlett etc.
I may even have a photo to post later of the Caledonia

Cheers

Ian (firey)

thunderd
28th December 2005, 01:10
Dave a warm welcome to this great site, I hope you enjoy it and we look forward to your posts.

Jan Hendrik
28th December 2005, 01:22
Dave, I do not remember you....neverttheless welcome to this fantastic site and enjoy.
Jan

Allan James
28th December 2005, 09:04
Dave,
I joined Ocean three years after you, what a life it was!! Seems our paths must have crossed in Aulis. I too was a Glenfalloch cadet-spent over half of phase one training on her-great ship.
Hope you enjoy the site, and I look forward to seeing your posts

Regards

Allan

mountainmanUK
28th December 2005, 09:26
Welcome Dave,

I sailed on the Caledonia's maiden voyage as cadet out of Copenhagen and sailed again on her on her last voyage as 3rd mate handing her over to Mearsk line. I left anchor line after that as all their newer ships were being sold off. I'm not very good with names now so I can't remember if we sailed together I can't ever remember visiting Venezula on her. I also did a costal trip on the Eucadia. Sailed also on Exmoor ,Calabria, Hazelmoor and Egidia. Could check discharge book for dates later. Needles to say we will have a common bond with some names possibly Cpt Howlett etc.
I may even have a photo to post later of the Caledonia

Cheers

Ian (firey)

Hi Ian!
I'm pretty sure we must have met somewhere along the line! EXMOOR was another of my ships, as was GLENLYON, which I couldnt remember before! Sailed out of Dagenham in her, but not too sure of the trip now! Yes, I do recall Cpt Howlett, sailed with him 2 or 3 times. If I remember correctly I think he had a daughter (Jane??) who did a bit of a trip with us once! EDIT: On second thoughts, I thiink that might have been Capt. Bill Mathers!)
the Venezuela trip on CALEDONIA was carrying coal from Rotterdam to Puerto Ordaz, up the Orinoco. There we loaded iron ore for New Orleans, before hold-washing etc., and loading soya from NO and Baton Rouge for the return leg to Rott.
Unfortunately, I lost almost all my old photos, paperwork, discharge book etc., during various house moves over the years, but I do still have a nice framed "grey" pic of EUCADIA that I will try to get scanned soon, to post on here!
If I come up[ with any more names I'll stick 'em on here, see if they ring any bells.
Cheers
Dave H

ruud
29th December 2005, 12:55
Ahoy Dave,Welcome aboard, enjoy yourself on this fine ship and her crew, as we do; looking forward to your postings.
From Holland

KIRKY1483
20th November 2016, 22:59
Hi Dave, I was on the Mano in 1972 for 2 trips. I was the peggy,