Anchises incident 1949

2nd October 2011, 11:39
I wonder if anyone can help. I am looking for details of the incident off Shanghai in 1949 when the Anchises was bombed and run aground. Mainly ineterested if anyone has a crew list from the voyage and who the four injured persons were. My mother is trying to trace some details of her father who was Chief Officer on the vessel at the time.

Hugh MacLean
2nd October 2011, 12:32
Details of the four injured crew.

Deck Boy T. Edwards - seriously wounded.
Fourth Officer T.D. Mothesill - slightly wounded.
Junior Electrician I. McPhaill - slightly wounded
Seaman J. Hamilton - slightly wounded.

The full Crew Agreement for 1949 should be held at Kew in piece BT 380/299 ( the ship's official number 181085.

3rd July 2013, 11:20
are you still looking for information on the yangtse incident involving the anchises? My dad was on the anchises and is still alive. I have loads of info.

4th July 2013, 20:14
Still looking for info. If you have anything it would be appreciated.

5th July 2013, 09:28
I have 3 documents that may be of interest to you:
The first one is a copy of a letter I sent to the chairman of the Blue Funnel society, the doc also contains a couple of photo's of the ship, a couple of news paper cuttings and a transcript of a conversation in the house of commons. The two clips called echo1 and echo2 are from the Liverpool local paper, the Echo.
My Father Vincent Dillon was officers steward on the Anchises on that fateful voyage. He is still very much alive and kicking and remembers it all very well.

BTW can you tell me the name of your grandfather? My dad might remember him.


5th July 2013, 18:05
I was on the Glengarry in Port Swettenham, in June 1949, when we learned that the Anchises had been bombed in Shanghai. As Shanghai was on our itinerary, we wondered if this would affect us, and it did. Shanghai cargo was discharged in Kowloon and we sailed for Yokohama, via the Bashi Channel, with a large Union Jack spread over No.3 hold.

I was still on the Glengarry, in March, 1950 and again in Kowloon, when Mr R.T. Horan, the 1st Mate, told me that he had been on the Anchises during the bombing and that her 1st Radio Officer/Purser was Amos J.W. Parkin.