Search for "Spray" & "Thrift"

vitalspark
15th January 2006, 20:43
Hello, everybody. I am searching for information and illustrations of two old British coasting vessels, "Spray" and "Thrift", which operated out of Aberdeen, Scotland, in the 1930's, '40's and possibly 50's. Any information would be gratefully received.

I have a number of photographs of Clyde and West Highland steamers, both current and previous, should anyone be interested.

R58484956
15th January 2006, 20:46
Welcome vitalspark to the site enjoy it and I am sure somebody will come up with an answer and a happy new year to you.

Doug Rogers
15th January 2006, 21:59
Welcome vitalspark, am sure the members can assist you.

lamptrimmer
15th January 2006, 22:41
Welcome to the site VITALSPARK. I remember seeing the THRIFT many times in Blyth loading for Aberdeen . She was completed by Hall Russell of Aberdeen in 1931 for the Northern Co- operative Society (Aberdeen) She loaded at either Blyth , Seaham or Methil and by the time she was scrapped in 1968 she was one of the last coal burning East Coasters
Regards Lamptrimmer

bobby388
16th January 2006, 01:13
HI Vitalspark welcome aboard plenty puffin goin on in here(enjoy)
Regards
Bobby

Bruce Carson
16th January 2006, 15:38
Hi Vitalspark, Welcome to the site. Enjoy the information, fun and camaraderie here. I have posted to the Gallery the builder's line drawings of the 'Thrift'.
I you would want larger, clearer scans, private me with your Email address and I'll forward them to you.

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/13676
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/13677

The 'Spray' was delivered to the coal merchants Ellis & McHardy in 1932 to replace a previous coaster of the same name, but that's all I have.

Bruce C.

Bruce Carson
16th January 2006, 15:55
Interesting, there was a third 'Spray', built for the same company.

http://www.teesships.freeuk.com/040505yasin.htm

Bruce C.

Bruce Carson
16th January 2006, 16:16
Dammit, senility is setting in. I've a good memory, but it's short, and getting shorter by the day.
I did have a picture of the 'Spray' of 1932. It's really poor quality, but I have posted it to the Gallery.

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/13690

Bruce C.

tanker
16th January 2006, 17:16
Welcome aboard from Italy.
Gp

spartan
30th January 2006, 19:31
Hello Vitalspark have the following info hope it is of some help
THRIFT(648grt,blt31 by Hall Russell) was broken up by Hughes Bolkows at Blyth arrived at the yard 10.9.68
SPRAY (963grt,blt32 by Hall Russell) continued until 1962 when replaced by new building(also named SPRAY).May have been renamed Spray 1,( presume it was to release the name for the new building).Afraid have no record of where or when she was broken up.
Cheers
Spartan

Peter4447
30th January 2006, 23:01
Hello Vital Spark. Just moving on slightly from your interest in the Co-operative owned ships may I just add a piece of useless information. Back around 1912 CWS Manchester also owned two coasters the 'New Pioneer' and the 'Fraternity' and they carried what must be a unique funnel mark. Both had a black funnel with a white band but the white band of the 'New Pioneer' carried the initials NP and the white band of the 'Fraternity' the letter F - definately an unusual method of identification!
Peter4447

Peter4447
30th January 2006, 23:06
Hi again. Just had another thought regarding the 'Thrift'. Many years ago if memory serves me right, a photograph appeared in the 'Sea Breezes' showing her with a list of about 45 degrees to port and well and truly stuck on the mud having run aground in the River Ouse.
Peter4447

vitalspark
30th January 2006, 23:48
Thanks for your info, Spartan, i appreciate it.

Regards,
vitalspark

ruud
31st January 2006, 07:02
Ahoy Vitalspark,

Welcome aboard, enjoy yourself on this fine ship and her crew, as we do; looking forward to your postings.
From Holland

Peter4447
31st January 2006, 16:13
Hi again Vitalspark
I was browsing the web today and came across a site of interest. If you go to www.fantastic-pictures.de you will come across a painting of the 'Thrift'. The sub-heading on the site is dampfschiffe.
Kid regards
Peter

arebei
31st January 2006, 16:51
welcome vitalspark i wish you a nice time on this site.
grtngs
peter

ruud
21st June 2006, 09:09
Hello, everybody. I am searching for information and illustrations of two old British coasting vessels, "Spray" and "Thrift", which operated out of Aberdeen, Scotland, in the 1930's, '40's and possibly 50's. Any information would be gratefully received.

I have a number of photographs of Clyde and West Highland steamers, both current and previous, should anyone be interested.
Ahoy,
Found the Spray 1962, is this the one UR looking for?

Btw yep "we" are interested in those photographs!

Hugh MacLean
21st June 2006, 18:00
Welcome aboard, Vitalspark. Enjoy the site.

Rgds

NINJA
21st June 2006, 18:46
Welcome Vitalspark,

There is a picture of the Thrift built in 1931 to replace a previous vessel with the same name (this second Thrift was scrapped in 1968) in C.V. Waines and R.S. Fentons book "Steam Coasters ans Short Sea Traders" page 159.

Regards

Ninja.

NINJA
21st June 2006, 20:42
Welcome Vitalspark,

There is a picture of the Thrift built in 1931 to replace a previous vessel with the same name (this second Thrift was scrapped in 1968) in C.V. Waines and R.S. Fentons book "Steam Coasters ans Short Sea Traders" page 159.

Regards

Ninja.

Also should have included that Steam Collier fleets by the same authors include plan drawings etc of the Thrift.

Regards

Ninja.

jock paul
22nd June 2006, 20:12
Afraid I can't give ifo on the Spray, but I remember her well when I was a "loon" in Aiberdeen. Also the s.s.Redhall collier.