Hi from South Shields

gordonclark
19th January 2006, 17:17
hello all from South Shields, as the son of an engineer (BP tankers and Little Aden Tugs) grandfather of a Ships Captain (WW1 HMT Aquamarine WW2 SS Empire Elgar on PQ16 , the rest I have yet to discover) I am equally proud and ashamed that my seafaring experience is limited to SS Stratheden passenger aged 8 and sea canoeing aged 21 to 24, oh and I took part in the marsden Lifeguards Sea Swim race from Trow Rocks to Marsden Bay); anyway its curry night on ocean road.....undefined

jim barnes
19th January 2006, 17:38
Welcom aboard mate, plenty more here with fewer qualifications, enjoy the site (Hippy)

Chief Engineer's Daughter
19th January 2006, 17:47
Welcome aboard fellow Sand Dancer! Tis a good ship and I hope you spend many happy hours sailing in her.

Trow Rock to Marsden Bay!! Well done. How is Ocean Road? It's years since I set foot there. (Thumb)

fred henderson
19th January 2006, 18:18
A warm welcome Gordonclark. I hope you enjoy the site as least as much as the curry!

Fred (Thumb)

Hugh MacLean
19th January 2006, 19:16
Hello Gordon,

We have already met ,via my website. Welcolm aboard I am sure you will get some answers here.

Rgds
Hugh

GEORDIE LAD
19th January 2006, 19:39
Welcome to one of the great pleasures left that costs absolutely nothing,but the benefits of friendship and the experiences of the fraternity are priceless.
I hope to be on Ocean Road in late May,but looking for fish and chips.Cheers..
Doug (Applause)

bert thompson
19th January 2006, 19:53
Welcome Gordon
Am sue you wil enjoy this site
In Ocean Road every day. Cant be beat

Best Wishes Bert

Doug Rogers
20th January 2006, 00:40
Welcome aboard Gordon, enjoy the site and what is has to offer its members.

gordonclark
20th January 2006, 09:54
thanks for your messages, regarding OCEAN ROAD the curry shops are all OK but none are truly excellent, however for Fish and Chips in honor of my grandads service as a trawler skipper in WW2, a famous quote to tell anyone who complains at the cost of Cod "its not fish you are buying but fishermens lives" also on Ocean Road is Colmans very good, plus the Red Hut smaller and easily overlooked but the 2nd best in the town, however first prize to the fish shop on Green Lane. absolutely stunning little chip shop, world class, models of trawlers, everything to order, great owner and staff. Sorry if its gone commercial but no I dont have shares but i have a pet hate for the crap chippies who have no respect for the fish they sell or their customers who regretably put up with it. Now say after me..."Its not fishyou are buying.....

Iain Lourie
20th January 2006, 11:02
Welcome. I spent several months (twice) in SS at the marine & tech., best part was probably the Pink Pussycat (?) night club, to name one of the few in the early 70's :)

GEORDIE LAD
20th January 2006, 13:19
Thanks Gordon.I'll look up the shop on Green Lane.Over half a century ago,I used to live nearby.

R58484956
20th January 2006, 14:21
A belated welcome to you Gordon enjoy the site and all it has to offer and a happy new year to you.

tom nicholson
20th January 2006, 14:52
Hi Gordon welcome to S N from another sandy and i must agree with you on GREEN LANE CHIPPY i will be there tonight. cheers tom (*))

Ron Stringer
20th January 2006, 14:59
Gordon,

There were several good "chippies" (behave yourselves you lot, I mean places preparing fish and chips, not ladies on high heels!) in Shields when I was there in '64 and '66/'67. However you could find others equally good throughout the Northeast (and elsewhere throughout the country). What I have never found the equal of anywhere outside Tyneside is the pork butcher's shop, with my especial favourite - hot pork rolls with pease pudding. There were a couple of good pork butchers on Ocean Road and I knew of others in Gateshead and all along both sides of the river.

When I moved down to Essex the things that I missed most were the camaraderie of the shipyards, the easy access to wonderful countryside and the pork butchers.

Ron

Galley Boy
20th January 2006, 21:10
Welcome Gordon to a great site,none better than SN.Hope you went to the
"Star of India" for a great curry

neil maclachlan
21st January 2006, 01:25
Hi Gordon,
You Mention Marsden and it recalls my time spent in South Sheilds standing by the " Fresno Star" and " Imperial Star" in the Middle Dock. Now a question?heard about the Marsden Grotto,I think you walked along the Prom to Marsden and it was there but on a Sunday we would walk along ih that direction to blow away the cobwebs but never quite made it to the Grotto. Maybe you could explain if I was headed in the right direction or not. Welcome aboard.
NeilMac

Jeffers
21st January 2006, 09:13
Hi and welcome.
I was born in South Shields and joined the MN when I left school there in '68.
I've long since left the sea and Shields, having lived in deepest Yorkshire for over 20 years now. It was quite a change to move from living on the coast to somewhere about as far from the sea as you can get in England. I live about the middle of the M62, with Liverpool at one end and Hull at the other.

Also, I still have family in Shields and I visit every couple of months or so. We always go for a curry down Ocean Road, the India Brasserie has been the favourite for some time.

Ron Stringer
21st January 2006, 16:08
Hi Gordon,
You Mention Marsden and it recalls my time spent in South Sheilds standing by the " Fresno Star" and " Imperial Star" in the Middle Dock. Now a question?heard about the Marsden Grotto,I think you walked along the Prom to Marsden and it was there but on a Sunday we would walk along ih that direction to blow away the cobwebs but never quite made it to the Grotto. Maybe you could explain if I was headed in the right direction or not. Welcome aboard.
NeilMac

Well Neil, you were going in the right direction but should have stuck to the Coast Road for a couple of miles until you reached Marsden. There you had to make a choice: turn right at the roundabout for the delights of the Marsden Inn or turn left for the Marsden Grotto.

Depending on the time of year, and the time of day, drinks were available at both. If you chose the Grotto you had a further choice, of taking the steps or the elevator/lift down to the bottom of the cliff. There you found the bar in a cave (the grotto). In the 1960s the bar was tastefully (?) decorated with draped fishing nets and coloured glass floats hanging from the ceiling.

If you had wished you could have walked onto the beach below the cliffs and the pinnacle of stone called Marsden Rock. This is home to thousands of kittiwakes in Spring and early Summer - very noisy and can be a hazard to the clothing of passers by on the beach. Very nice walk on a good day - say when the wind fell below Force 4.

Regards

Ron

21st January 2006, 20:55
You could get a meal in the Grotto, I vaguely remember having a meal there for one of my big sisters birthdays. Marsden rock itself had a natural arch but this has fallen in the past few years. ( as I said earlier its a long time since i was in Shields even though I do have family there.)
Stotty cake, savaloy sausage and pease pudding, YUM!

Semaj
21st January 2006, 22:01
Welcome aboard Gordonclark, I do like a good curry.

Jim.

RCHARLTON
21st January 2006, 22:19
Welcome Gordon. I remember about 12 or 13 years ago having fish and chips at the Red Hut when it really was in a red hut. If memory serves me correctly it was down near the pier behind the amusement park. There were several huts there which served fish and chips but only the red hut had what seemed like a never ending line of people. It was certainly the best fish and chips I ever had and,believe me, I have had a lot. I went back a couple of years later but all the huts were torn down. I wonder if the same people run the present Red Hut.
Hot pork sandwiches with pease pudding also brings back fond memories. In the 60's there was an outstanding pork shop at the bottom of Felling High Street. Can't remember the name but their sadwiches were great. It's long since gone now. In more recent times I tried another pork sandwich shop at the top of what's left of Felling High Street but its not in the same class.
Happy Days!
Regards,
Ray Charlton

neil maclachlan
23rd January 2006, 00:23
Hi Ron,
Thanks for the info on the Grotto,I wish I'd stayed in the right direction I would have love to visit the place. I sailed with a number of Geordies during my time at sea and found them to be good guys ( altthough inclined to be a bit clanish when they grew in numbers--just like us Scots?) I often wondered about the Grotto and thanks for your explanation, I liked South Shields found the people there very friendly and enjoyed my stay in that friendly town. On a Friday night i used to catch the train back to Greenock to be with my then girlfriend now my wife of 48 years.
NeilMac.

ray1buck1
23rd January 2006, 10:03
How many remember Big Frankies cafe at the trow rocks end of the Shields beach.... that going back a lor of years !!, his brother had one at the Groyne end also

ruud
26th January 2006, 10:20
Ahoy Gordon,

Welcome aboard, enjoy yourself on this fine ship and her crew, as we do; looking forward to your postings.
From Holland

27th January 2006, 08:48
How many remember Big Frankies cafe at the trow rocks end of the Shields beach.... that going back a lor of years !!, his brother had one at the Groyne end also

Big Frankies Cafe... now THAT is a lot of years ago! Yes I do remember it.

ray1buck1
27th January 2006, 10:47
I wonder if you have viewed the following web site a lot of Shields history
http://website.lineone.net/~d.ord/aspsosh.htm http://website.lineone.net/~d.ord/Reminiscences.htm
Ray

27th January 2006, 13:43
Thanks for that Ray1Buck1. Will save looking at those websites for a night watch.

Cheers
CED

rob15
26th February 2006, 14:42
hello all from South Shields, as the son of an engineer (BP tankers and Little Aden Tugs) grandfather of a Ships Captain (WW1 HMT Aquamarine WW2 SS Empire Elgar on PQ16 , the rest I have yet to discover) I am equally proud and ashamed that my seafaring experience is limited to SS Stratheden passenger aged 8 and sea canoeing aged 21 to 24, oh and I took part in the marsden Lifeguards Sea Swim race from Trow Rocks to Marsden Bay); anyway its curry night on ocean road.....undefined
hi Gordan i have some info on the Empire Elgar--built 1942 at William Gray Son Hartlepool Grt 2,843 renamed Sea Minstrel 1947 ren.Marrandellas 1957 ren Jansen 1956 ren Slitan1960 ren Piren 1961 scrap Split 1965 hope this is of some oinfo .for you all the best R.S.Gilroy formally from Walker now living in Whitehaven Cumbria.

Hugh MacLean
26th February 2006, 15:25
Gordon,

Taken from Wikipedia:

SS Empire Elgar was a heavy lift ship on Arctic Convoy PQ16. She was especially useful as she was equipped with derricks enabling her to unload the heavy war stores (trains, tanks, aircraft)from other ships that arrived with convoy PQ16 as well as the surviviors of the ill fated PQ17 and the PQ18. The dockside installations were damaged by German bombing, and the Empire Elgar came under almost daily attack for almost 18 months as she worked in Archangel Molotovosk and Murmansk.
Various members of the crew were decorated for their defence of PQ16 as she approached Russia and for her duties in port.

Have you seen this site your father is mentioned:
http://www.unithistories.com/officers/RN_Decorations.html
Rgds

gordonclark
3rd October 2006, 15:53
Thanks for spotting those, I sent them in !!!(Thumb)

rob15
5th October 2006, 10:42
wellcome aboard about marsden grotto when ileft the m.n as eng on M.V.Border lass i worked for a lift co Express Lifts were i was on stand by at marsden on satu rdays for breakdowns when there was a weddings on .used to get agood meal and a free drink which was limited to one pint ha ha,that was in the60s good veiwing for vessels leaving or entering the tyne not the same now the lift shaft has been bricked in now but then it was a open shaft all the beat R.S.Gilroy

ray1buck1
5th October 2006, 17:17
Hi Rob
Do I know you? it seems we were in the same industry!!
I was a surveying engineer for the lift company (Pickerings lifts) that installed the original lift, worked for them man & boy for nigh on 30 years apprenticed in 22nd August 1955. When the shaft was open and every thing rusted to hell, we modernised the installation when it was bricked up if I remember correct, it had 3 entrances and cross corner guided,
I remember having to climb to the motor room from a glass panel in the covered passage with very little to hold on too, H&E would have shut it down in those days, sadly I never received any such gratuities,

Also worked for a time for the Express Lift Co out of Newcastle and Bristol offices

rushie
5th October 2006, 19:29
Greetings Gordon and welcome.!

Obviously the chaps (and chapess) have made you feel at home already.!

Have fun..!

Rushie

Caltex Newcastle
18th October 2006, 15:05
I am equally proud and ashamed that my seafaring experience is limited

Hello Gordon,

Welcome to SN(Thumb) , I've just joined myself and like you I lived in the town since my birth. Don't let the lack of your seafaring experience make you feel ashamed. I've never been to sea in my life. The nearest I've ever got to it is crossing the Tyne on the Shields Ferry. Just as well I suppose as I get seasick on lake Windermere! LOL:)

Regards,

Anthony

John King
25th May 2007, 18:37
Im a sandy born and bred and remember FRANKIES very well the wifes auntie worked there and we used to get fish an chips for nowt eeeeee, PS a hearty welcome gordon from SA where its warm i was in shields last year this time and it was bloody freezing,hope you enjoy the site

Bearwood
26th May 2007, 16:20
It isn't all that warm in North Shields today - but the sun is shining! I expect it's the same in that other place over the river!

quietman
27th May 2007, 20:24
Welcome Gordon. I remember about 12 or 13 years ago having fish and chips at the Red Hut when it really was in a red hut. If memory serves me correctly it was down near the pier behind the amusement park. There were several huts there which served fish and chips but only the red hut had what seemed like a never ending line of people. It was certainly the best fish and chips I ever had and,believe me, I have had a lot. I went back a couple of years later but all the huts were torn down. I wonder if the same people run the present Red Hut.
Hot pork sandwiches with pease pudding also brings back fond memories. In the 60's there was an outstanding pork shop at the bottom of Felling High Street. Can't remember the name but their sadwiches were great. It's long since gone now. In more recent times I tried another pork sandwich shop at the top of what's left of Felling High Street but its not in the same class.
Happy Days!
Regards,
Ray Charlton

Yes the same people still run the shop that run the hut