T.S. Indefatigable

MyWagga
10th March 2012, 04:34
Hi everyone,

Was anyone at the Indefatigable 68-69?
I was #37 Raleigh, Clan Line dorm.

We actually lived in Anglesey at the time as my dad was in the RAF and based at Valley.

I was in the bugle band but the best bugler was a lad called Friend. I remember him playing 'Rock Reveille' at the end of term. Brill. Wish I could go back to that moment.

Frank Lawlor
4th July 2012, 11:13
Indefatigable January 65 to April 66. Rodney Division, #75. Dorm 16, Elder Dempster.

MyWagga
6th July 2012, 00:55
Hi Frank, it's all a long time ago. It passed in the blink of an eye as they say.
I don't regret going there now even though I had high expectations of going to Conway, a college for Officers just down from the Inde but I failed the entrance exam. Sort of glad really though.

Frank Lawlor
11th July 2012, 14:32
G'day MyWagga. Same here re having no regrets. I would do it all over again. I lived in Holyhead at the time, so used to get home on Saturdays for a couple of hours. Been living in Australia for over 30 years now. I have been back for 3 reunions at the Inde, and am looking at going back for next years on June 8th. May see you there if your going. All the best to you. Frank.

MyWagga
21st July 2012, 03:42
I was local myself Frank. Lived in Rhosneigr so got home quite a few weekends. My Dad worked at RAF Valley. Most times I'd walk to Bangor to get the train which would ironically pass under the "Sphinx" bridge which led to the Indefatigable from the main gate.

Chris

Frank Lawlor
21st July 2012, 10:44
I was local myself Frank. Lived in Rhosneigr so got home quite a few weekends. My Dad worked at RAF Valley. Most times I'd walk to Bangor to get the train which would ironically pass under the "Sphinx" bridge which led to the Indefatigable from the main gate.

Chris

G'day Chris. You must have been well of with being able to catch a train home. We used to walk out the gate to the bus stop, and more often than not, someone would pull up and we would get a lift all the way. On returning, we would catch the bus at Holyhead, and many a time we would not pay because the conductors knew us. Wondering though, why you would walk to Bangor for the train when you could have caught it at Llanfair. Have you attended any of the reunions yet? I have been to 3 so far, and we are hoping to get back to the UK next June to make the one on the 8th.

Gulpers
21st July 2012, 11:08
Guys, one of my colleagues, who is also an SN member, barrypriddis (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/member.php?u=3112), used to teach at Indefatigable.
He was there after your time, but he may be able to give you news of events after you left. (Thumb)

MyWagga
21st July 2012, 18:22
Hi Frank, I thought the local station had been closed at that time. I know it's open now. Maybe my memory is failing me!
I havn't been able to attend any re-unions as yet as I'm broke these days but maybe I'll be able to get to next year's.

I actually attended Holyhead Comprehensive School before I went to the Inde. It was apparently, the first Comprehensive in the country.

Chris

Frank Lawlor
22nd July 2012, 01:43
Guys, one of my colleagues, who is also an SN member, barrypriddis (https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/member.php?u=3112), used to teach at Indefatigable.
He was there after your time, but he may be able to give you news of events after you left. (Thumb)

G'day Gulpers. Thanks for the info on Barry. I have read about him in posts on the OBA website as well as on F/B. Think he works or worked at the Holyhead Coastguard Station. Have kept pretty much up with events after I left by keeping in contact with others from my time there, and also my nephew attended the Inde. Appreciate you taking the time to reply. Frank.

Frank Lawlor
22nd July 2012, 08:41
Hi Frank, I thought the local station had been closed at that time. I know it's open now. Maybe my memory is failing me!
I havn't been able to attend any re-unions as yet as I'm broke these days but maybe I'll be able to get to next year's.

I actually attended Holyhead Comprehensive School before I went to the Inde. It was apparently, the first Comprehensive in the country.

Chris

G'day again Chris. Maybe it is my memory that has failed, and perhaps you could only catch a train from Bangor at that time.
I too attended Holyhead County School as we called it prior to signing on at the Inde. There were a few of us from Holyhead at the Inde at the same time, plus a few more from around the Island as well.
Yes, it was the very first school to become compehensive.
Have a sqiz at the Inde page on Facebook, and you may well recognise a few names from your time there.
It is worth the effort to get there, but have to be a member of the Old Boys Association to be able to visit the school. The reunion and evening meal are held at the Carreg Bran, which is a couple of minutes drive from the school. Start salting some of that loot away so that you can make it down there. Frank.

Friendyboy2
3rd February 2014, 13:32
Hi Chris. Only just subscribed to this site I am Steve Friend AKA Egghead 134 Hood Division 68/69 and the bugler you refer to, I too have fond memories of the old school especially doing the Duke of Edinburgh's Award and being teamed up with Mick Dwyer and John Cross two scousers do you remember them? they drafted me into their gang and we were always under the bell in trouble.

Good Luck

MyWagga
3rd February 2014, 17:32
Hi Steve, your the first one I have found from the Inde and I remember you well. Was it you that could also play the trumpet?

I remember Mick Dwyer well but not the other guy. One night when Bond was on duty we got Mick into a sports basket and threw him into the pool and left him there for a while. Must have scared the hell out of him.

I have written a book in which you are mentioned by the way. It's my autobiography of all the things that happened to me. You might be interested to read it. It's on Amazon Kindle Store and is called "Running For Home" by Christopher Dawber. http://goo.gl/D2GxtQ

You know I can still see your face with your cheeks puffed out giving that bugle hell and I can still hear that final "Rock Reveille" and the cheers that went up with it and that's how I prefer to remember you.

Friendyboy2
4th February 2014, 11:32
Chris the guy who was the trumpeter was called John Driscoll who had red curly hair and we had an excellent drummer called Eddie Bone in Drake Division who could rattle off a rendition of wipe out, like you I can remember many faces but names are difficult. Do you remember Jeff Douch a great athlete and a Holyhead boy. At the indie I took over Leading Boy from Tim Walton in Brocklebank Dorm with Farmer Derek Giles as our P O I shipped out with P&O on the Canberra in July 1969, I worked with Cunard, Shaw Saville and Union Castle until 1973 and then came ashore.

MyWagga
4th February 2014, 19:07
Hi again Steve, I remember the name John Driscoll but none of the others. If I remember rightly, they had him at the front of the band playing his trumpet after which we would all join in. It didn't work.

So you got to go on the Canberra. This is another coincidence since I mention in my book that I wanted to go on this ship and for one heart stopping moment I thought I'd got it but reading further, it said Canberra Star, a cargo ship of Blue Star Line!

You mention standing under the bell a lot but can you still hear the damn thing, I can. Eight bells was four o'clock I think, never got the hang of that.

Friendyboy2
8th February 2014, 16:03
Chris I joined the Canberra in Southampton in July 69 with a guy from the Indie called John Crowley from Grantham, Lincs the Oriana was in at the same time and two lads who's names I can't remember we're shipped out on her. My first trip was a Mediterranean cruise to Naples and Athens we then left Southampton in September for a four and a half month world cruise doing a circle pacific for the Aussie market. When in Hongkong I went to the China Fleet club and met two Indie guys (names again escape me) who were on HMS Endeavour a RN repair ship I took them aboard the Canberra berthed at the Ocean Terminal Kowloon they couldn't believe our accommodation I think they were sleeping 33 to a mess whilst our cabins were dual bunks and very comfy good old days.

Friendyboy2
1st March 2014, 13:48
Hi Chris
I bought your book on amazon I'm only half way through because I normally read when on holiday presently life is hectic work wise and family I have 9 grandchildren from 12 years down to 3 months which keeps Jan my spouse and me busy. Not surprisingly there are so many things I can relate to like spud guns my dad made me a crossbow from scraps of wood which was deadly. Air guns, bikes and camping we are on the same wavelength. With your experiences in Singapore do you remember Michael Perry at the Indie who was from Malaya as it was then I'm sure if you think you will remember him. Do you remember Dewhurst he was in your division he beat the crap out of me in the assembly hall Friday boxing I will never forget that.Steve