dockside grafitti

roofaerosyth
9th April 2012, 14:44
on the south arm at rosyth dockyard scotland there is the name uss garcia 1970 painted on the sea wall.just goes to show how good the paint was back then.its still clear as day to read even now.42 years later.anyone seen any dockside grafitti thats older than that?and whatever happened to the garcia?cheers from roo.

Mad Landsman
9th April 2012, 15:59
Associated to that - Does anyone know who started the 'tradition', and when, of painting ships crests or badges on the walls near the old Royal Dockyard on Bermuda.

In other words -Which was first, and is it still there?

Dave Woods
9th April 2012, 16:51
Associated to that - Does anyone know who started the 'tradition', and when, of painting ships crests or badges on the walls near the old Royal Dockyard on Bermuda.

In other words -Which was first, and is it still there?

Yes it is or at least it was when I was last there 3 years ago, in fact a local artist was "touching them up".

Mad Landsman
9th April 2012, 17:02
Sorry, should have been more explicit - I last saw them 'in panorama' about a year ago.

What I was wondering is whether the earliest examples are still surviving?

Presumably, if the local artist maintains them then there could be some really old ones - just 'touched up'

John Rogers
9th April 2012, 18:53
I bet there are some old ones just waiting to be touched up. Sorry just couldn't help myself.

tom roberts
9th April 2012, 20:20
Good one on the wall around Camel lairds Birkenhead.
Scrap Trident ITS TOO BLOODY SMALL.It was there for years.

Mad Landsman
9th April 2012, 20:39
on the south arm at rosyth dockyard scotland there is the name uss garcia 1970 painted on the sea wall.just goes to show how good the paint was back then.its still clear as day to read even now.42 years later.anyone seen any dockside grafitti thats older than that?and whatever happened to the garcia?cheers from roo.

I can't help with the graffiti but a web search on the ship give plenty of info. Maybe start with wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Garcia_%28FF-1040%29

Pat Kennedy
9th April 2012, 20:49
Good one on the wall around Camel lairds Birkenhead.
Scrap Trident ITS TOO BLOODY SMALL.It was there for years.

There was one at the top of Argyll St South for many years which said, "Polaris Yuck", now that was old
Pat(Smoke)

roofaerosyth
9th April 2012, 21:34
cheers mad landsman.very interesting.

DAVID ALCOCK
10th April 2012, 09:32
Madeira has a very large collection of cruise and naval ship decoration,particularly from german navy support ships (towel on beachchair syndrome)
The oldest" sign of occupation "i have seen is the german destroyer up a cliff at NARVICK AT 72 YEARS old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!