M.V. Samuel Clegg

Eddie Wood
11th April 2012, 23:17
I believe this ship (a flat iron collier) took coal to Fulham gas works.
An acquaintance says an ocean going ship could not make such a journey. Can anyone confirm.

billyboy
11th April 2012, 23:28
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer

trotterdotpom
12th April 2012, 00:33
That's correct - the Flat Irons were built to be able to get under the Thames bridges. Tower Bridge (which opens up) was the limit for large ships with masts, high funnels, etc. I sailed on the Flat Iron "Harry Richardson" and I seem to recall that even she had to have her funnel folded down in order to get up to Fulham Power Station.

John T

Gulpers
12th April 2012, 08:21
Eddie,

On behalf of the SN Moderating Team, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership. (Thumb)

Ray Mac
12th April 2012, 10:23
That's correct - the Flat Irons were built to be able to get under the Thames bridges. Tower Bridge (which opens up) was the limit for large ships with masts, high funnels, etc. I sailed on the Flat Iron "Harry Richardson" and I seem to recall that even she had to have her funnel folded down in order to get up to Fulham Power Station.

John T

Did you not get paid extra if you dropped the funnel while going under the bridges?.

Ray

trotterdotpom
12th April 2012, 11:33
Did you not get paid extra if you dropped the funnel while going under the bridges?.

Ray

Not my department Ray, so wouldn't know, sorry. They were on what was known as a Northeast Coast Agreement, the main perk being a guaranteed night in on the Tyne if they were away a certain length of time (may have been 96 hours, not sure now). Needless to say, they were always away for 96 hours!

John T

R58484956
12th April 2012, 14:34
Greetings Eddie and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Ray Mac
12th April 2012, 15:39
Not my department Ray, so wouldn't know, sorry. They were on what was known as a Northeast Coast Agreement, the main perk being a guaranteed night in on the Tyne if they were away a certain length of time (may have been 96 hours, not sure now). Needless to say, they were always away for 96 hours!

John T

Just had a word with one of the lads of them flatties, they say that the ABs got 2/6 old money per bridge.

Ray

trotterdotpom
12th April 2012, 15:45
Just had a word with one of the lads of them flatties, they say that the ABs got 2/6 old money per bridge.

Ray

Thanks Ray - that would have amounted to a couple of quid in and out, I suppose (can't remember how many bridges there were). Would have bought a few stottie cakes!

John T