zizzzy Benlomond

yeskra116
22nd April 2012, 15:56
Hi Guys
I have just found this forum and would like to introduce myself especially the strange title!!
My name is David Gledhill I got the nickname zizzzy when I joined the Benlomond as a cadet in feb 1968, The first trip was from London up the north sea to one of the Tyne/Tees ports , Then accross to Rotterdam & on up to Hamburg, The crossing was very rough and I was constantly seasick spending most of my time in my bunk hence the name zzzzzzizzzy was scrawled on the cabin door and it stuck!!
Then went on to do two trips out to the far east before having to pack in due to bad eyesight. my memory is not too good either but I think the skipper was A Mackenzie, I know the 3rd Was Called Athol Christopher Hitcham he was a real character, I remember the bosun was a bit of a beast towards us cadets he was the most hairy bloke I have ever seen. It would be nice to hear from anyone who remembers me or was on the Lomond at that time.
All the Best Dave

wully farquhar
24th April 2012, 21:20
Hello David,was the Bosun's name William Magregor from Thurso,i did a trip on the Lomond 1967 Danny Sinclair was the skipper then,i found the Lomond a good job.

john fraser
24th April 2012, 21:46
Hi David. I take it ,it was the 3rdMate that was called Atholl Christopher Hitcham. If it is the same person.I sailed with him on Bencleuch. a Scouser ex Mersey Pilot Apprentice and ex Booker Line.Quite a character.

yeskra116
25th April 2012, 09:53
Hello David,was the Bosun's name William Magregor from Thurso,i did a trip on the Lomond 1967 Danny Sinclair was the skipper then,i found the Lomond a good job.

Hi Wully, Yes that name sounds familiar, He was medium height ,Dark hair and very stocky, Not someone you would want to upset but very good at his job. Can you remember the name of the chippy who was onboard with you, I became very good friends with him during my trips but can't for the life of me remember his name.
I must agree with you about the ship she was excellent I would go back in an instant.
thanks for the post David

yeskra116
25th April 2012, 10:01
Hi David. I take it ,it was the 3rdMate that was called Atholl Christopher Hitcham. If it is the same person.I sailed with him on Bencleuch. a Scouser ex Mersey Pilot Apprentice and ex Booker Line.Quite a character.

Hi John, It is the same name but Hitch came from the Newcastle area, If he is the same guy one thing he always did was to announce himself with "boopeeep" at the top of his voice when we were having film shows (Remember those before vhs or dvds) Oh! happy days.
Thanks for the post David

R58484956
26th April 2012, 11:39
Greetings David and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Bill251
26th February 2016, 22:37
Hi Zizzy I was on the Benlomand that voyage joined in East Indian dock then sailed to Rotterdam ,Hamburgh ,Durban then Singapore ,Honk Kong ,Japan it was my first voyage I was the Peggy I remember the bosun well Willie Magregor was a great ship and a voyage that so far I have never forgot Also sailed with the captain on two more Ben boats he was a good captain . Willie Lindsay