MV Paringa C 1951 Brisbane Australia

Paul McMillen
29th January 2006, 02:57
G'Day everyone,
I am presently writing my memoires of 50 years and am including the small amount of info I know about my Dad, George Campbell (Paddy) McMillen. Dad was born in Belfast, Nth Ireland and arrived in Brisbane, Australia aboard the MV Paringa in 1951. He met my Mum and was sponsored as an Assisted Migrant by her parents. Dad remained in Australia for the rest of his life. Dad died in 19 March 1980 and that is all we know about him. Any info about him or his ship would be greatly appreciated.This info would be invaluable for my sons and their future families as sadly no one else knows about his Pre-Australian life.
Paul Christopher McMillen

mclean
29th January 2006, 05:27
Hi Paul. A little information on the Paringa. She was built in december 1936 at John Brown,s shipyard on the Clyde. When built she was the MV Essex, and transferred to P&O Line in 1947 and renamed MV Paringa. She had a sister ship called the Palana, Which I believe were the largest refrigerated vessels at the time of building. Her dimensions as follows Length 551ft.3ins. Breadth 70ft.5ins and Draught 32ft.6.75ins. Her official number was 165362 Call Letters MMBD. Her gross tonnage 11080, net tonnage 6484,and summer deadweight 13923 (all long tons). In 1955, she was renamed MV Norfolk and was finally srcapped in 1962. I hope the above is a little help to you. Regards Colin.

ruud
29th January 2006, 08:12
Ahoy Paul,
Welcome aboard, enjoy yourself on this fine ship and her crew, as we do; looking forward to your postings.
From Holland

Here some more details:
http://portal.pohub.com/pls/pogprtl/poghistory.display_document.pdf?p_id=1361

tanker
29th January 2006, 10:06
Welcome aboard from Italy.
Gp

Paul McMillen
29th January 2006, 10:08
Oh how wonderful to hear from Colin McLean in Canada after only such a short time. I was so excited that I rang my Mum in Brisbane straight away and told her that I had some information about a small piece of Dad's life. Colin, your few informative words have given me so much hope. I can only imagine how much more detail is out there safely stored on board your wonderfully enthusiastic crew. Please continue to spread the word on my quest on info about my Dad and his ship. I wonder if a photo of the MV Paringa exist?.
Question: I found a reference to a SS Paringa built in 1908 ...is it unusual to use the same name for a vessel...superstition? Bad fortune!
Question: MV verus SS obviously refers to a different era. Mum said she did go down into the engineroom and She (The Paringa) was oil fueled which makes sense Colin.
Question:Does any person or world body keep details of crew in the hope that I can read about my Dad's performance,progress in training, (heaven forbid) misdemeanours, ports of call etc. As you can see I am thrilled to make even the smallest step in the hope that one day I can run!!!!!
Thank you Ruud also for your warm welcome aboard. I raise a toast in the finest BUNDABERG RUM to you all!

R58484956
29th January 2006, 11:32
Welcome Paul to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

KPC
29th January 2006, 21:06
Paul..MV = Motor Vessel.....SS = Steam Ship

mclean
29th January 2006, 22:23
Hi Paul. For a fine photograph of Paringa,s sister ship the Palana (renamed Cambridge) ,go to www.riversea.freeuk.com (Riversea International). Click on ships of the past (MEMORIES). Go down to 26/1 and click on Cambridge. This is an identical sister to the Paringa. Best Regards Colin

KIWI
29th January 2006, 22:38
Paringa.There is a photo of Palana sister to Paringa in my gallery.As Essex she was in the Malta convoys & I believe hit by bombs.When next in library will look up reference material & advise further,unless of course some other member has the dftail at hand.KIWI

Semaj
29th January 2006, 22:52
Welcome aboard Paul Vessels are often named after their predecessors, I served on the SS Maidan, it was only years later I discovered it was SS Maidan III.

Paul McMillen
30th January 2006, 00:00
Thanks once again to you all for your best wishes and guidance.Loved seeing the Cambridge. I await more info as it is uncovered. Fair seas Paul

Paul McMillen
31st January 2006, 03:34
I have enjoyed the banter and friendship you blokes display...I refer to my question in my Post 3 re any ideas on how I can find out about any records of my Dad's work reports etc while on the Paringa C 1947- 52. Ta Paul

arebei
31st January 2006, 15:57
hi paul i hope you have a nice time here
b.r
peter

Bob Davies
31st January 2006, 17:02
Hi Paul,Hope you are lucky with your quest - but - I hope that the personal information you are looking for is NOT available in my case.
I`d be in dead trouble.
Regards
Bob

non descript
31st January 2006, 17:41
A very warm welcome to you Paul, you will find the good ship SN is +100A1 and with an excellent crew. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer, I hope you are able to find what you are looking for and we look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

John Flanagan
1st February 2006, 04:36
Hi Paul,

I worked with a Paddy McMillen in Brisbane from September 1972 to 1974. I assume this was your Dad as he was from Northern Ireland and ex merchant navy. We were both employed in the ship repair industry by AUSN engineering at Cairncross Dockyard in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. I have many fond memories of him and the many sea yarns which we shared at that time. I was born and raised also in Ireland (Cobh, County Cork).

Kind regards,

Flanagan

G'Day everyone,
I am presently writing my memoires of 50 years and am including the small amount of info I know about my Dad, George Campbell (Paddy) McMillen. Dad was born in Belfast, Nth Ireland and arrived in Brisbane, Australia aboard the MV Paringa in 1951. He met my Mum and was sponsored as an Assisted Migrant by her parents. Dad remained in Australia for the rest of his life. Dad died in 19 March 1980 and that is all we know about him. Any info about him or his ship would be greatly appreciated.This info would be invaluable for my sons and their future families as sadly no one else knows about his Pre-Australian life.
Paul Christopher McMillen

Paul McMillen
2nd February 2006, 00:01
Hi John
When I logged on this morning and read your posting the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. Wow a blast from the past! Yes you did work with my Dad at AUSN( Australian United Steam Navigation). I would have been in my senior year(Year 12) when you started. I am now 50 and as you would have read am writing my memoires about Dad and my life. Dad died from a heart attack on 19 March 1980. The roll your own cigarettes would have contributed. After leaving MV Paringa in 1951 Dad worked in his trade Marine Fitter for many icons of Australian industry beginning with Castlemaine Brewery, Ipswich Railway workshops, several tanneries and Evans Deakin at Kangaroo Point.

I remember Dad taking my brother and sisters down into the Cairncross Dry Dock when the Amanda Miller was dry docked . She was the largest ship to be able use the facility. Here sister ship Robert Miller caused panic during the 1974 Brisbane floods when she broke free from her moorings at Evans Deakin at Kangaroo Point and threatened to effectively dam the flood swollen river.

What was your roll at AUSN? Mum still lives at Carina. I teach in Bundaberg and travel to Brisbane regularly. Great to hear from you John.
Regards Paul

John Flanagan
2nd February 2006, 00:42
Good morning Paul,

It was great to hear from you and to think I was in Bundaberg on New year's Eve and on Australia Day, had I known I would have looked you up. it is with regret that I learned of your Dad's passing. Your Dad and I both worked at the same trade. I live on a yacht in Urangan Marina, Hervey Bay and am presently Manager of the Brolga Theatre & Convention Centre, Maryborough. I was crewing on a 46ft Simpson catamaran on my recent visits to Bundaberg. As Bundaberg is only a little over one hour's drive I will make a point of personally meeting you in the not too distant future. I made contact with another of your dad's work mates last night and even though Denis is well in the eighties he remembered your dad whom he held in high regard. I will contact Barry Buckley in Scotland over the weekend as Barry and your dad were the best of friends. Barry also hails from Cobh and we both did our apprenticeships at Verolme Cork Dockyard.

Great to hear from you and hopefully will meet soon.

Kind regards,

Flanagan

Paul McMillen
3rd February 2006, 01:24
Hi again John
I can't get over how small the world has become. Fancy you being just down the road and having been here such a short time ago. I wonder how a Fitter gets a Gig like managing the Brolga Theatre. Deb and I haven' been there yet but we know many who have. In fact yesterday the music teacher at school said she was going to Brolga rather than Bundy's MoncrieffTheatre as the sears are more comfortable. She is going to see the Scared Little Weird Guys. We enjoy live music concerts and are regulars to the Entertainment Centre or Convention Centre in Brisbane.
Ta for your condolences for Dad. He died 2 months after our wedding and so I never got the chance to share many adult years as a result.
Thanks for passing on my details to Denis and Barry. They may have a yarn or two about him which would be great. Sure if you are up this way give us a call we are in the book. Cheers Paul

Paul McMillen
3rd February 2006, 02:51
Thanks Malcolm
Mum has Dad's MN Discharge book which I will look at more closely when I see her next.Will contact Tmac re apprenticeships. Don't have any idea where Dad did his time. Smiles Paul

zsimone
3rd February 2006, 05:04
Hi,
Please find attached a Photo of the Paringa.
Cheers
Gary

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/7765/palana4nt.th.jpg (http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=palana4nt.jpg)

Paul McMillen
3rd February 2006, 21:27
Many thanks Gary
She looks like a solid lady. Where did you get the picture? Isn't it great that someone took time to photogragh these memories at the time for us to enjoy. Ta Paul

Derek J
3rd March 2013, 06:23
I have come across this converstaion in 2013 so hopefully everyone is still around. My Dad served on the Paringa in the early 50s and met my Mum on one of his trips to Brisbane. I have a photo (hand painted B&W?) cruising under the Sydney Harbour Bridge. My Dad served on its last trip and I have one of the cabin lamps from it.

Anyway, my Mum has some documents and history which I will encourage her to post but, as my Dad died in 2009, she may feel she can't at this time.

alastairrussell
3rd March 2013, 08:52
Paul

I am amazed I did not know that there was a second Paringa. I carried out research into the first Paringa which was built in my home port of Kinghorn in Scotland in 1908. They reckon that the SS Paringa bankrupted the shipyard way back then in 1909. My paper called 'Kinghorn Ships in Aussie Waters' is in the Australian Maritime Museum library.

After loyal service for the Adelaide Steam Ship company she sailed away from Western Port in Victoria bound for China in 1935 towing a tanker called the Vincas. She was never seen again and the Vincas tanker was later found at anchor of ninety mile beach near Lakes Entrance with its Chinese towing crew onboard. The Paringa had 31 crew onboard at the time with two engineers being from Australia, she is on the list of 'must be found' in the Southern Ocean Exploration list

Alastair

Ian6
3rd March 2013, 20:59
Paul
You will find more details about Paringa here at the P&O/DP World Archive:
http://www.poheritage.com/Content/Mimsy/Media/factsheet/94206PARINGA-1936pdf.pdf
and another picture here passing under Sydney Hbr Bridge
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20P/index5.html

Ian

alastairrussell
3rd March 2013, 22:21
Ian6

Thanks for putting me onto the photos. The shots with the Paringa having her engineroom in the 3/4 position is the 1906 built Paringa that I researched.

She had passenger accomodation and might have been the first cruise ship in world when she started doing weekend cruises to the Spencer gulf and back.

Alastair

alex page
4th March 2013, 01:26
Just a litte bit more on the Paringa (Essex) During the war in 1941 she made it to Malta under the protection of the Ark Royal and other heavy naval units. In Malta she was so heavy damaged by bombing that it was 2 years before she finally left for the UK under tow. She then spent 11 months in Falmouth under repair . 4 years elapsed from her arrival in Malta to once again sailing under her own power.I did the last few voyages of her sister ship the Cambridge.
Alex

R58484956
4th March 2013, 10:06
When I sailed with P&O the saying goes " do anything wrong or upset a senior and you will be sent to the Parana/ Paringa" they of course had white crews.

MMBD
3rd August 2013, 19:16
I was Second Radio Officer on her last voyage - my first trip to sea and her last. Liverpool to New Zealand, and from NZ she went to Japan for scrapping. I did not last all of the trip - a few of us left her in Lyttelton and worked our passage home on the RANGITANE.

There is a photograph of her in Napier on this trip - see
http://seapixonline.com/nsphoto.php?pid=9070&hit=1&back=nsthumbs&mid=1001&tot=1&typ=name&uss=7&wds=norfolk&catn=&cat=
I wish I took better photographs in those days.

Tony Millatt