Souped-up Liberty Ships

cshortridge73
30th April 2012, 13:50
I'm sure many of you...if not all of you have some knowledge of the 'Liberty Ship' of WW II. There were 2,710 of these "Ugly Ducklings" as they were called. During the War 833 were sunk...taking with them 6,834 mariners. So after the War we had a generous supply of these ships stashed in several anchorages around the country.

Oh yes, some were sold to other countries and special deals made to steamship companies whom wish to purchase and use for commercial uses. Well someone got the hair-brain idea to drag a few out of storage and "re-do" them...or 'Soup them up.' They even had a name for this program....."Liberty Ship Engine Conversion Program."

Here's the story about how this all came about...and how it ended up.

DID HISTORY FORGET THE SOUPED-UP LIBERTY SHIPS (http://navalmerchantshiparticles.blogspot.com/2012/03/souped-up-liberty-ships.html)

ssr481
30th April 2012, 13:54
I'm sure many of you...if not all of you have some knowledge of the 'Liberty Ship' of WW II. There were 2,710 of these "Ugly Ducklings" as they were called. During the War 833 were sunk...taking with them 6,834 mariners. So after the War we had a generous supply of these ships stashed in several anchorages around the country.

Oh yes, some were sold to other countries and special deals made to steamship companies whom wish to purchase and use for commercial uses. Well someone got the hair-brain idea to drag a few out of storage and "re-do" them...or 'Soup them up.' They even had a name for this program....."Liberty Ship Engine Conversion Program."

x
Here's the story about how this all came about...and how it ended up.

DID HISTORY FORGET THE SOUPED-UP LIBERTY SHIPS (http://navalmerchantshiparticles.blogspot.com/2012/03/souped-up-liberty-ships.html)

Cool article.. might it be possible to get a PDF of the article sent directly to me?? If so, please let me know.

chadburn
30th April 2012, 14:46
Thank's for the article a very interesting read bearing in mind that right up until the end of the "Cold War" we in Europe would still have to rely mainly on the American's and their vessel's to ship vast amount's of equipment over the Pond, the speedier the better.

cshortridge73
30th April 2012, 14:48
Oh no problem on getting the .pdf sent to you.....just send me the e-mail address that you would wish it sent too...and I'll reply with it 'attached.' In fact that is the way with all of my articles that is on my 'blog'....there are 280 + articles...and ship histories....and I have tons, and tons of Liberty ship pics to use when I write my Liberty ship histories... Just send an e-mail to either of these addresses..
[email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected] Please request any article by title and I'll attach in a timely manner

Bud

A.D.FROST
30th April 2012, 16:21

Missing from the list is JOHN L.SULLIVAN(YAG 37) had 4 deck mounted prop-aircraft engines.(EEK) I thought most of "Liberties" engines were based on a N.E.M.Trp-Exp.