John B

John Beaton
29th January 2006, 15:34
Was 2nd Mate on Gallic & Bardic in 1950s Ex Muncaster Castle & Greystoke Castleex Woolworth a/C carriers, then went to Ben Line and we were all discharged from SS&A charterwork.
What happened to these fine ships in the end?

For interest:- Recently visited the site of the Runic wreck on Suvarov Reef in late 1950s. Frozen carcases still evident, insulation still there and infested with birds' nests. Rust and copper bleeds from winch armatures. Water around only a metre or so.

R58484956
29th January 2006, 15:43
Welcome John to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.

David Wilcockson
29th January 2006, 17:03
Welcome to the site John. I too sailed with Mollers but not till the late 60`s, though the two vessels you mention were still talked about then.
David

fred henderson
29th January 2006, 21:01
Welcome to the site John. I hope you will enjoy many happy hours with us.

USS Perdido and USS Willapa became HMS Trouncer and HMS Puncher. Both were returned to US Maritime Commission in 1946 and bought by Mollers Ltd for conversion into original cargo ship configuration. They went to Moller's subsidiary London,Lancashire Shipping Co and named Greystoke Castle and Muncaster Castle. In 1954 both were chartered to Shaw Saville for five years and renamed Gallic and Bardic. In 1957 both were acquired by William Thompson's Ben Line who continued the charter. In 1959, when the charter ended they were renamed Benrinnes and Bennevis and entered Ben line operations. Both were scrapped at Kaohsiung in 1973.
It is interesting that they remained together throughout their lives.

Fred

thunderd
29th January 2006, 23:19
A warm welcome to the site Jihn, it is full of interest and fun and I hope you enjoy it.

ruud
30th January 2006, 07:33
Ahoy John,

Welcome aboard, enjoy yourself on this fine ship and her crew, as we do; looking forward to your postings.
From Holland

non descript
30th January 2006, 07:57
A very warm welcome to you John, you will find the good ship SN is +100A1 and with an excellent crew. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

tanker
30th January 2006, 09:49
welcome aboard from Italy.
Gp

John Beaton
4th February 2006, 10:30
Thanks, (especially to Fred Henderson), for info on fate of these two ships.
We left these ships in a bit of a hurry, with no ceremony, so I feel very nostalgic with the news of their fate.

arebei
4th February 2006, 19:30
welcome john i wish you a nice time on S.N
grtngs
peter