The Doomed Battleships

cshortridge73
3rd May 2012, 14:43
THE DOOMED BATTLESHIPS....The Montana-Class. Even on the drawing boards they were huge....actually 65,000 ton behemoths. The Armament alone was enough to make an enemy 'turn and burn' the heck out of Dodge....but ...yes there is a 'but" there 'hulls' never got wet.
Oh the U.S. Navy wanted them real bad....and fought Congress 'tooth and nail" to build these "super-battleships"....but guess what?....in the end it was the Brooklyn Bridge and Panama Canal that was the reason the whole project was dumped....
So.....here is the story of "behind the scenes" of just what took place and how close these "super-battleships" came to prowling the seas.

THE DOOMED BATTLESHIPS (http://navalmerchantshiparticles.blogspot.com/2012/05/doomed-battleships.html)
[email protected] ([email protected])

jamesgpobog
3rd May 2012, 18:08
THE DOOMED BATTLESHIPS....The Montana-Class. Even on the drawing boards they were huge....actually 65,000 ton behemoths. The Armament alone was enough to make an enemy 'turn and burn' the heck out of Dodge....but ...yes there is a 'but" there 'hulls' never got wet.
Oh the U.S. Navy wanted them real bad....and fought Congress 'tooth and nail" to build these "super-battleships"....but guess what?....in the end it was the Brooklyn Bridge and Panama Canal that was the reason the whole project was dumped....
So.....here is the story of "behind the scenes" of just what took place and how close these "super-battleships" came to prowling the seas.

THE DOOMED BATTLESHIPS (http://navalmerchantshiparticles.blogspot.com/2012/05/doomed-battleships.html)

Looks cool. I'm going to re-post to my Navy buddies...

Klaatu83
6th May 2012, 17:01
The Montana-class demonstrates how short-sighted the Navy's battleship-oriented Admirals still were during World War II. Although the loss of HMS Repulse and Prince of Wales in 1941 had demonstrated conclusively the vulnerability of battleships to aircraft, the Admirals still didn't entirely get it. The handwriting became even clearer in 1944, during the Battle of Leyte Gulf, when IJN Musashi was sunk by carrier-based aircraft, IJN Fuso sunk by torpedoes launched from destroyers and PT boats, IJN Kongo sunk by torpedoes launched from a submarine, and IJN Yamato ignominiously chased off by a handful of destroyers and a few planes launched from Jeep Carriers. Although the Iowas were already under construction before those events took place, it should have been clear to the Admirals that the Montanas would already have been obsolete at the time they were being planned.

cshortridge73
6th May 2012, 18:58
Very well stated.....couldn't agree with you more.

Malky Glaister
6th May 2012, 20:19
Anything floating on the surface can be taken out from thousands of miles away easily.
No idea about subsurface craft.

No real point in having a massive Navy these days. Smaller ships are necessary though.
Shame but thats it as far as I can see.

regards
Malky

Ian6
6th May 2012, 20:41
I agree with all the above, particularly post #5, but where does that leave the UK building the largest warships the RN has ever had, designed to fly fixed wing aircraft we don't have, at the expense of more versatile destroyers or frigates ?

It is not so much the short sighted Admirals here but the 'eager for votes' last Prime Minister who signed an irrevocable agreement to secure Scottish jobs.

Basil
6th May 2012, 20:58
I can see the WW2 Admirals thinking that a battleship could be protected by a carrier group - but, then, I suppose, why bother to have a battleship?
Anyway, always easy to be wise after the event.
Still useful for naval gunfire support on coastal targets. I don't follow naval matters very much but would have thought that, for the USA, a modern heavy gun platform defended by anti-aircraft and anti-submarine weapons would be a useful piece of kit - or has that been superseded by cruise missiles?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
6th May 2012, 21:04

Thanks - an excellent article. A pleasure to read.