TANKERS [Part I & II]

cshortridge73
4th May 2012, 12:59
Many of us that has never been to sea....or live near the sea can't imagine the size of these huge giants that haul and supply the world with the "black gold" that we seem to never get enough of....."YES" they are simply enormous. They have to be...because this is the ship that both sustains us and, in a sense, worries or even terrifies us.

My purpose of this article is not to concern you any more than you already are on "the oil situation" you get enough of that every time you stop to "fill up your gas tank"....this article is to provide you with some history of the "tanker" itself.

I myself can't even imagine how these things even float....let alone someone actually trying to control one of these monsters in heavy seas.

This 'Article' is a "Two Part" gathering of words....and you can get to both 'Parts' by clicking on ...... TANKERS (http://navalmerchantshiparticles.blogspot.com/2012/03/blog-post.html)

[email protected] ([email protected])

frangio
4th May 2012, 13:14
All the figures can't even begin to give those not in the know an idea of the size of the big tankers.

I tell friends about Ardvar and tell them she was a 5th of a mile long and they can't comprehend it. The other thing people don't realise is how much there is below the surface. Draught when loaded 63ft!

stevekelly10
4th May 2012, 16:51
Just had a quick read through it! just one point of correction on part 1 you mention LNG as liquid Nitrogen gas, when it's actually Liquid Natural gas, big difference as nitrogen is inert and liquid natural gas is highly explosive.(Jester) Apart from that not bad

cshortridge73
4th May 2012, 19:16
Thanks for the comment...much, much appreciated. I'm just a "Hobby-writer" so if you only found "one" mistake....my goodness I must be living right!!! Thanks again for your comment....which 'positive or negative' I always 'welcome!'

Ron Stringer
4th May 2012, 19:29
On the first couple of pages of Part 1 there are instances of confusion between the meaning of the terms "deadweight" and "displacement" tonnage.

The Nobel Foundation awards the Peace Prize, rather than the piece prize.

kewl dude
4th May 2012, 19:58
Attached five images I got off a US Navy Historical site.

The first US Navy Auxiliary, Oiler, AO-1 built circa 1914 pictured in service January 1943.

The next two pictures show one of the two main engines being installed in August 1914.

The fourth picture AO-1 on fire in April 1943 at Tulagi.

The fifth picture is AO-6 USS Pecos circa 1921 the only picture taken from the air showing a deck view.

1973-1974 I was 1 A/E on the War Two built TAO-65 USNS Pecos.

I don't know what is going on with that fourth picture being listed as text, but I right clicked on it and clicked on 'open in new window' then clicked on 'open' in the next dialog box and it opened in my browser.

Greg Hayden

ChasD
4th May 2012, 20:49
To get a useful idea of the tanker environment, have a scratch around in the tanker specific forums, such as the 'Shell' segment.
I'm a Shell guy myself so, I have a bias in this direction !
To give you an idea of scale when thinking of these beasts I have attached a couple of pictures. The first is of the Shell 'Drupa' in drydock. Alongside is a relatively 'normal' sized vessel. On the dockside is the car of one of the superintendants, a fairly large sized vehicle. If you use this as a measure, you can estimate the size of the city block where you could park this vehicle alongside the kerb, round the corner and along the next street.
The second is the same vessel alongside her 'Big Sister'.
You can find references to both vessels in the relevant sections.
Regards ..... Chas