Who has news about the fire on the USS Miami?

OliverD
26th May 2012, 02:58
Has anyone got news or links to news about the fire? Seems like just a very brief summary has been released so far. From what was on the national TV channel the injuries were few but unspecified; , but it doesn't look good for the ship.

jamesgpobog
26th May 2012, 06:25
https://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=uss+miami+fire&oq=uss+miami+fire&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_l=hp.3...1422.5456.0.5848.14.14.0.0.0.0.319.218 2.1j11j1j1.14.0.eqn%2Cfixedpos%3Dfalse%2Cboost_nor mal%3D40%2Cboost_high%3D40%2Ccconf%3D0-95%2Cmin_length%3D2%2Crate_low%3D0-015%2Crate_high%3D0-015%2Csecond_pass%3Dfalse.1.0.0.DBi1i5QHkvM

Looks pretty grim. 7 hurt, burned for 12 hours. My guess is they scrap it...

Ron Stringer
26th May 2012, 07:11
Easy to comment from the security of an armchair but an "unoccupied" (i.e. with on no one aboard) sub alongside, or in drydock, would seem to be the perfect candidate for sealing off to exclude oxygen and then flooding with CO2 or some other inert gas in order to control a fire. Flooding with water would seem to offer much higher propensity for damage.

I just have to give way to the experts on this, they must have known what they were doing. Can anyone suggest the advantages of filling compartments with water rather than, say, CO2?

jamesgpobog
26th May 2012, 18:00
Easy to comment from the security of an armchair but an "unoccupied" (i.e. with on no one aboard) sub alongside, or in drydock, would seem to be the perfect candidate for sealing off to exclude oxygen and then flooding with CO2 or some other inert gas in order to control a fire. Flooding with water would seem to offer much higher propensity for damage.

I just have to give way to the experts on this, they must have known what they were doing. Can anyone suggest the advantages of filling compartments with water rather than, say, CO2?

Don't laugh, but I'm sure some Greenies would say 'a smaller carbon footprint'...

OliverD
9th June 2012, 00:58
http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2501:440-million-nuclear-sub-fire-qstarted-in-shipyard-vacuum-cleanerq&catid=88:shipyardnews&Itemid=193

If the link doesn't work, go to www.marinelog.com to see the article. They are saying that the fire started in a vacuum cleaner (Hoover for you Brits) that was used to clean up the workspace, and was left in an unattended space.
Probably get just as much, or more, information from the blog site The Stupid Shall be Punished. Thanks to whoever posted that link.

OliverD
18th September 2012, 01:26
This short article was posted on Marine Log's daily newsletter:

http://www.marinelog.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2936:electric-boat-to-work-on-fire-damaged-submarine&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=195

You may have to copy/paste to go to it. The gist is that Electric Boat has received a 94 million dollar contract in relation to the fire repair. That's still quite a ways from the 400 million initial estimate of damage.